Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5/4 comfys or 6/5 fast road apex

Rides

5/4 comfys or 6/5 fast road apex

Hi guys,

I have done plenty of seaching on the above topic to no avail!

I am going to be ordering coilovers for my S14a, however i am unsure wether to go with the 5/4 comfys or 6/5 fast road.

I do live out of town and my roads are not bad by any means in an normal road car, however coilovers would be a different matter.

Can anyone comment on how there comfys or 6/5s perform, and if they are too hard/too soft?

The car is a weekend (summer) car plus a few trackdays thrown in for good measure. I dont want to go for the comfys if they will under perform on the track.

Comments welcome!

Steve
    Last edited by Steve200sx; 18-10-2011 at 16:44. Reason: cant spell

Rides
    I have 6/5 and like them.

I could put up with harder I think but these are pretty spot on..

Rides
    At the moment im looking to get the 5/4s, just dont want them to be to soft.

sliding.. how are the roads round your area?

Keep em coming folks.. need your opinions!
    Last edited by Steve200sx; 18-10-2011 at 16:42.

Rides
    Im interested in these comments too.

ps. there is a group buy on Apex jobbies right now if you have the £££

Rides
    Id never touch coilovers usually but now Brens announced the limo's im interested.. I was just going to go Nismo S tunes.. Coilovers and Uk roads dont usually mix IMO

Rides
    I have the fast roads on mine and have been driving it 45 miles a day for the past 2 years. They are ok like but to be frank for the use I give it I would probably be better off with something a bit softer and just uprate the ARBs.

Better things to spend money on first though!

Rides
    I used to have comfy's on mine and wound up 3/4 way on the settings they were fine on bumpy country roads and seemed very good at prescott hill/ smooth roads, any harder and I think it would have had a negative effect on the handling on normal roads

Rides
    For my needs Comfys are too hard and S Tunes ride too high and lean on track even with uprated ARBs.

The inbetween ?!

I look forward to peeps views, when going to Limos from Comfys, IIRC Comfys are around double the spring rate of either stock or uprated Apex/Eibach springs ?

Rides
    From a technical perspective is there a way of directly comparing say the KYBs and some ebaich springs with one of the Apex models.

I currently have some standard KYBs and Ebaich 3mm lower springs so looking for some comparison to that.

Sorry for sort of hijack!

Rides
    Had a pm yesterday from another customer who was in the same dilemma:

Cool!
    Right been out in my mates sx, definatley going for comfy coilovers, comfy ride even though he had them set 18 clicks towards hard setting thats good enough for me his feels so much more planted and stable, yet rides average pot holes and bumps without feelings as though my spine is about to shatter

whats the best time to phone to place my order and pay?

Rides
    it was me who took him out in the sx and i think the comfys are just right for the uk roads.

soft enough for the harsh back roads with ough it crashing n banging, but can be stiffened up when the roads are nice n smooth without excessive body roll.

i went from uprated springs to the comfys and the ride was so much better, its nice when u do long motorway stints as just put them to soft off u go for a nice smooth ride

Rides
    TBH I think I will get the comfys.. 90% of my driving will be B roads with occational trackday. I think comfys will give the best of both worlds. I dont want to trawl ebay for a new spine after a spirited days driving

Could always uprate the spring rate if it feels too soft.

Rides
    i am the same as u steve mostly b roads

hoping to do 1 or 2 track days

hence why i went with the comfys
    Last edited by Njord; 19-10-2011 at 14:38.

Rides
    One thing I will say with apex coilovers are they seize into a position and you can't adjust them after 6months.

I had to cut of 3 collars and apex had the cheek of charging me for all three.

Make sure it is well copper greased on assebly or. Screw the thread up gunk it in and reposition. Mine seized even though I greased them.

Don't say I didn't warn you. I would probably go hsd if I were to buy again

Rides
    I do about 4 or 5 track days a year and a week at the Ring every 2 years. So 99% of the time my car is on real roads- motorways, crappy winter potholed city roads and narrow twisty backroads.
    From all of the coilovers that I have ridden in, including the Comfys, I found them all too hard and harsh. (Comfys being the best by a long shot). I want to cross country mountain roads and the Ring at full whack and not have to back off because the car will break welds or my back or take off as it's so stiff. So I went with S-Tunes and uprated ARBs. They are simply amazing. Apex's new Limo coilovers are really interesting me, they seem like the perfect choice.
    The trade off is that my car is a bit too soft for track days, but still not a boat. But it's perfect for real world roads and eats up the Ring.
    The reality is that really stiff cars only handle well on snooker smooth surfaces. On anyway of a bad surface they will be skipping and handle like crap, be harsh and uncomfortable. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sliding-R View Post
    One thing I will say with apex coilovers are they seize into a position and you can't adjust them after 6months.
    Not just Apex, copper grease the fuK out of all of them.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    Not just Apex, copper grease the fuK out of all of them.
    As you say, look after them and they'll always adjust, neglect them and they won't. The only coilovers I know of that dont need such maintenance are the lines of Ohlins at 2.5k upwards.

Rides
    I had the same dilema but i went for 6/5's on mine and they are by no means what i would call comfy but thats to be expected from coilovers, that said they are a lot better than a mates drift/track coils. My car is a daily and on the same roads so you should be fine but i've never tried comfy's. Only thing is they do knock and it does do my nut in!

Rides
    There's a long list of things that can cure noises, I'll do a write up tomorrow

Rides
    i've tried them all mate, found that stiffening them up actually helped a bit, its only the rears as is common i believe. On an up note they still work fine and were well greased before installation and still adjust fine