Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1992 toyota landcruiser 2.5 diesel swb vx

Rides

1992 toyota landcruiser 2.5 diesel swb vx

my parents are getting on a bit so wanted rid of there 4x4, only done 400 miles in the last 4 years, but they still taxed and mot'd it every year, theres a few problems like the transfer box leaking oil and the interior lights not working, and comming home i found going up the hill to my house giving it some beens the rev counter went from 2500rpm to 4000rpm in less than a second so i need a new clutch, looks easy to do with so much room and no need to jack it up,
    im looking to do a bit of off roading in it are there any good forums for this. i will post pics tomorrow

Rides
    Rented a land cruiser for a off roading day once, was awesome

Cant help on the forum though
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    thats a great machine, and SWB as well!
    how does it look for rust, any work needing done?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by s200rat View Post
    thats a great machine, and SWB as well!
    how does it look for rust, any work needing done?
    nothing much just rear arches need rebuilding, about a days work max, lucky im a sheetmetal worker/welder

artistic shot that seems popular with others

Rides
    slowly been improving the Toyota, changed the clutch, bitch of a job due to weight, then the exhaust went so i bodged one together from left-over 3" bore parts i had in the garage so in a way free, now its a side exit

3" outlet

single box

and loads of room for bigger wheels

Rides
    Love it! Very capable in the filth as well

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides
    Looks great for the age!
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    it had the head replaced a few years ago so all should be ok there, it needs a bit of plating/welding where the B piller joins the sill and under both arches, might plate it with aluminium checker plate and bond/rivet the repair as its non-structural having a separate chassis and it would look cool

Rides
    nice bit of kit u got there! me likes

Rides
    Loving that!!!

Rides
    Straight through its mot. Bit strange seeing it flying past me mot tester giving me a wave then disappearing in a cloud of tyre smoke as he hammers the brakes

Rides
    Nice, very nice.

Rides
    My friends garage specializes in modifying landcruisers, best thing you'll do to a 70 series is swap out the 2.4 for the 3.0 engine, still having the 2.4 diffs will keep the gearing sensible for bigger tyres, 35" go on with out too many issues. Jus a 2" suspension lift and you'll be away. Iv got an 80 series for towing my sx n except maybe a few more mpg don't need much more.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpbike View Post
    My friends garage specializes in modifying landcruisers, best thing you'll do to a 70 series is swap out the 2.4 for the 3.0 engine, still having the 2.4 diffs will keep the gearing sensible for bigger tyres, 35" go on with out too many issues. Jus a 2" suspension lift and you'll be away. Iv got an 80 series for towing my sx n except maybe a few more mpg don't need much more.
    Do you keep the gearbox from the 2.4 also do you know the engine type/code I need to get. I think the head gaskets on it's way out and need to something

Rides
    the engine is a 1KZ-T or a TE, the TE has an electronic controlled pump and possibly only comes on the later import (prado) 70 series or the 90 series but you'd have to add the ecu and stuff for this, the mechanical pumps are much easier and take about 3 seconds to fuel up n make it go!
    I just text my mate about the box, he said you can keep the box but need to change the bell housing to the 3 litre one. This next part might put dangerous ideas in your head but... they use an R series gearbox and as you may have spotted around the supra R154 gearbox. This means with a simple swap of a bell housing a 1/2JZ engine bolts straight up to the standard box or if you wanted a bit more strength, the cruiser transfer box bolts up to the R154 box. Other options are LS400 1UZ as again its a simple bellhousing swap or simply use the auto box's from the UZ/JZ and bolt the transfer box straight up to them.
    I know someone whos done a 1UZ swap into 1, I currently own a 2JZ with a 70 transfer box bolted to the autobox but that wasnt my doing, was a given up idea.
    so yea... there's some ideas but to keep it cheap the 3 litre diesels ya best bet ha

Rides
    The 1KZ-TE is used on the 3 litre surfs, as well as the LC Colorados (90 series?)... I had the intercooled version in my old surf - it was a fantastic motor

If you are going off roading you may want to move that exhaust tip forwards a bit - it'll get jammed up with mud between it and the tyre!

Rides
    thats the same engine as in my surf (I think) and jeeebus the 3.0 goes some compared to the 2.4

and it blitz's any of the land rovers I have owned/driven

Rides
    The intercooled one is about 140odd BHP Which surf have you got DLowe?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpbike View Post
    the engine is a 1KZ-T or a TE, the TE has an electronic controlled pump and possibly only comes on the later import (prado) 70 series or the 90 series but you'd have to add the ecu and stuff for this, the mechanical pumps are much easier and take about 3 seconds to fuel up n make it go!
    I just text my mate about the box, he said you can keep the box but need to change the bell housing to the 3 litre one. This next part might put dangerous ideas in your head but... they use an R series gearbox and as you may have spotted around the supra R154 gearbox. This means with a simple swap of a bell housing a 1/2JZ engine bolts straight up to the standard box or if you wanted a bit more strength, the cruiser transfer box bolts up to the R154 box. Other options are LS400 1UZ as again its a simple bellhousing swap or simply use the auto box's from the UZ/JZ and bolt the transfer box straight up to them.
    I know someone whos done a 1UZ swap into 1, I currently own a 2JZ with a 70 transfer box bolted to the autobox but that wasnt my doing, was a given up idea.
    so yea... there's some ideas but to keep it cheap the 3 litre diesels ya best bet ha
    thanks for the info, just been looking at engines and i think getting a scrapper of ebay would be my best bet and take what i want dumping the rest

Rides
    yea there's surfs knocking round for nothing, I would stick with the mechanical injectoin pump as it will make the swap much quicker and simpler. Will make it into a beast