Thread: 03 golf squealing belt problem

Rides

03 golf squealing belt problem

Has anyone come across this sort of problem in a golf.

The car is a 2003 gt tdi. When you turn the steering wheel with the car idling there's pretty strong squeal coming from the belt when it reaches full lock on either side, it almost sounds like it's rubbing on something but I can't see it rubbing on anything.
    If you raise the revs a bit and turn the steering wheel it squeals constantly.

My guess is either the belt driving the pump or maybe a tensioner. Anyone else come across this? I need to try get it sorted soon but don't want to get bits the car doesn't need

Rides
    Sounds like the belt that drives the PS pump is either boned, or just needs re-tensiponing. Cheap fix

Rides
    +1. Common problem on all FWD in my experience! Just a new belt should do it, well it always has worked for me

HTH, Ben.

Rides
    Definitely power steering belt, had this issue many times on my golf. It's the belt slipping on the pulling because the grooves are worn smooth
    Last edited by Prior; 25-10-2011 at 17:49.

Rides
    check that the tensioner isnt gubbed also the alternator belt pulley should have a clutch in it basically take the belt off spin the pulley and grab it instantly and the inside of the alternator should still turn a bit more before stopping, if it doesnt thats 1 fix to be rectified