Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stroker kit vs Large bore kit

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    For a BIG 4 pot with bottom end. By the time you have paid for bore kit and fitting on SR it's a close call on putting a KA24DE in. Built with rods, pistons and turbo.
    but then you need to buy a crank as the KA24DE crank [top crank in pic]is not up to high power
    you would need to buy a brian crower fully counterweight crank

Rides
    Personal choicce I suppose but Id only increase capacity if fitting a big tubby.

If your only fitting a gt3071 with the .63 housing I wouldnt bother with a stroker kit, superclarkey was hitting full boost by 3700rpm iirc with a set of 256 cams on that turbo anyhows.

How low do you want the spool to be?? and tbh I doubt the 3071 would hit 425whp with the .63 housing anyway

Although ABT is probably the man with the most knowledge on this thread,not me

Rides
    Sorry to go slightly off topic but someone mentioned a fullrace manifold and am just wondering what sort of better spool times or any better spool times would you expect to get from using a twin scroll on a single scroll manifold?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tweek View Post
    Sorry to go slightly off topic but someone mentioned a fullrace manifold and am just wondering what sort of better spool times or any better spool times would you expect to get from using a twin scroll on a single scroll manifold?
    As far as I'm aware, basically none. No point whatsoever running twin scroll housing on an undivided manifold unless you are playing around with a quickspool valve. Happy to be told otherwise though

Rides
    You won't get anyway running a single scroll manifold with a twin turbo. I think it could be worst tbh as twin scroll tends to be a bigger A/R than a normal single scroll but I could be wrong

Haven't seen huge difference if you look at the charts for the hx35. I'm going to try to try both twin and single scroll means I'll have to have a custom manifold anyway see what differences there are then

Its one of those thing some people say about huge improvements others don't
    Last edited by -ghost-; 09-10-2011 at 21:43.

Rides
    I ended up going down the Stroker route with a full HKS Step 3 Head system and Lasher kit aswell as there 2.2 Stroker Kit more personal reasons over what would of been a more practical set up though to be honest

Rides
    Anyone know if the 89 mm SR20DE head gasket will fit the sr20DET block?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-ctr View Post
    but then you need to buy a crank as the KA24DE crank [top crank in pic]is not up to high power
    you would need to buy a brian crower fully counterweight crank
    Care to give definitive references for that claim? A very brief google hasn't found any broken or failed KA cranks. The stock KA crank is forged. The KA has a girdle. I'm quite sure it will be good for any reasonable amount of power, 500-600bhp.

BC crank doesn't fit and Nissan put those webs on the crankcase and girdle for a reason. They brace the crankcase wall to the bearing webs, to keep everything in inline.
    http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp.../photo_04.html
    OK that's a build for 750bhp. Stock crank is a shed load lighter at 34lbs v's BC's 45lbs (so you better get a 20 lb lighter flywheel for BC crank).

A fully counter weighted crank is technically a poor choice for an Inline 4. An Inline 4 is balanced in everything except primary moments (force x distance). The moment is produced about journals 2 and 4. The balance weights next to journals 2 and 4 only produce 1/3 of the moment that the ones next to 1, 3 and 5 do. Hence the massive weight of the BC crank.

"Tuners".
    Don't do stress analysis.
    Don't do materials engineering.
    Don't do basic engine dynamics.
    sure do make it pretty.

Rides
    I've always wondered how good the ka was as a design,

for some reason I just assumed it was like a ca (i.e. there are better versions out there) as its not widely used in the uk as base. However if what skyshack is saying is true (about the forged crank and girdle) then unless its got a truly awful head design or thin cylinder walls then its going to be full of potential.

Plenty of so called "performance" engines out there do without a girdle and a small amount of main bearings and still get semi reliable high power outputs.
    Last edited by 59bhp; 10-10-2011 at 08:21.

Rides
    Aaaahhhhhh I am a dumbass I ment to ask is there any benefit using a twin scroll manifold on a single scroll turbo.

Rides
    is there any benefit using a twin scroll manifold on a single scroll turbo.
    No.

Rides
    If you go 90mm bore is it worth having the 1/2inch conversion?

Is the 19mm rather than 17mm big ends needed for 450whp(that will be my max)

Best headgasket for the 90mm bore out of the mazworx or the cosworth?
    Last edited by -ghost-; 12-10-2011 at 13:30.

Rides
    A bit of an armchair opinion, but:

An aftermarket big bore conversion isn't going to give you all the benefits and drawbacks of a big bore, oversquare OEM engine, because the head and valves are still the ones from your smaller bore.

Therefore you won't get the additional breathing at high rpm; but conversely, you'll still get reasonable swirl/tumble at lower speeds, so it won't become quite as peaky.

If I understand it all correctly, that is.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    If you go 90mm bore is it worth having the 1/2inch conversion?

Is the 19mm rather than 17mm big ends needed for 450whp(that will be my max)

Best headgasket for the 90mm bore out of the mazworx or the cosworth?
    mazworx head gasket and you need the 1/2 stud conversion if going 90mm bore
    if you use pauter rods or rods from a gtir then you ok with 19mm bearings, they need moding to fit rwd det rods
    have the bearing carriers groved to allow better oiling of the mains which will have a direct effect on the big ends, use the 5 hole mains
    Last edited by ex-ctr; 13-10-2011 at 12:50.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_H View Post
    A bit of an armchair opinion, but:

An aftermarket big bore conversion isn't going to give you all the benefits and drawbacks of a big bore, oversquare OEM engine, because the head and valves are still the ones from your smaller bore.

Therefore you won't get the additional breathing at high rpm; but conversely, you'll still get reasonable swirl/tumble at lower speeds, so it won't become quite as peaky.

If I understand it all correctly, that is.
    An armchair response as I am no expert, but I would say it is less of an issue in a forced induction engine, because the valve diameters are not so much the limiting factor.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Thanks ex-CTR
    Going with:

Mazworx 91mm crank
    Cp pistons 90mm 9:1:0
    Eagle Rods sticking with the 17mm
    Darton sleeves
    Cosworth 90mm headgasket

(really helps shopping around a bit)

Spoke to andrew @ chasmans (they need to fix there website) today Getting the sleeves fitted and there going to CNC the channels in the carriers.

Has anyone had problems with the headgasket not sealing?

I'm just unsure what to do with the head now getting the VE head is a right pain but the stock head sucks :S

Rides
    The ka24de crank can handle alot of power! there are several cars putting down 700whp+ on standard cranks. I think the record on stock crank is 844whp so far.....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Niclas_AB View Post
    The ka24de crank can handle alot of power! there are several cars putting down 700whp+ on standard cranks. I think the record on stock crank is 844whp so far.....
    mazworx runs 1400bhp on a stock DET crank, and you lot are mad over there

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-ctr View Post
    mazworx runs 1400bhp on a stock DET crank, and you lot are mad over there
    But for how many miles?
    @ghost how much did that lot set you back?drop me a pm if you want

Rides
    But for how many miles?
    @ghost how much did that lot set you back?drop me a pm if you want
    you could say the same about the DE crank, ok for drag racing but not for track or where you want the engine to last