Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo gasket nightmare

Rides
    Weld it lol. I had the same problem and now it's gone and won't come back.

Last edited by redsx94!; 03-10-2011 at 22:23.

Rides
    Your EGT's could be high, it would explain the softening of the studs and constant gasket failure etc, Has the car been mapped? and has the timing been strobed recently?

Rides
    I thought heat too.

Otherwise if brackets are in place it could be engine mounts have gone soft or failed allowing to much engine movement.

Rides
    id go with that hanger mod above (which i will be doing when i can be arsed to change my gaskets) and an exhaust flexi, that should do wonders, also how are your engine mounts??

Rides
    Cheers for the info guys egts may have been high due to boost leaks in the past, nismo engine mount still look to be in good condition

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by redsx94! View Post
    Weld it lol. I had the same problem and now it's gone and won't come back.

Interesting pic, what sort if a welder did you use and what material rod to weld the two together? And how long ago did you weld them up and how many miles have you sone so far with it?

Rides
    Guys.

Seriouslllyyy think your missing the point!!

It was fine before.

Now happening every 2secs

The flanges will be fecked! They have been subjected to massive heat every time its driven with the gasket blowing!

Rides
    Just need as much advice as possible,

this evening I have started stripping my underslung set up and converting to gt2871r top mount setup. So going to go to town with braces once the set up is finalised.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by justbutts View Post
    Interesting pic, what sort if a welder did you use and what material rod to weld the two together? And how long ago did you weld them up and how many miles have you sone so far with it?
    just used a mig on high heat with stainless wire and argo light gas.

before my gaskets would end up blowing every time ide have a drift session and i have drifted the ass off since and its the only thing on the car thats holding up now lol

welded it up in april or may. i had the manifold off last week due to my manifold to head flange being warped and checked round the weld and there is no signs of cracks or leaks etc and all the nuts and studs are the same i always used and there still in the same position and not loose so that rules out that vibratons rattle them loose.

the problem is mainly the heat stretches the studs then once there is space the flange goes a crazy shape and will never be the same. when i first put the brand new manifold on it lasted about 10,000miles then after that it got less and less. as my car is a daily driver and my turbo was hanging on by 1 stud again after a drift session i didnt have time to get a gasket and shit as i needed the car the next day i said **** it and welded it and it has been fine ever since. our drift days up here run from 10am till 3pm and was still fine after that and that was in june and its still fine

Rides

Rides
    Mine been welded for a few years now :-)

Rides
    I had a similar situation and it broke my heart for a while the problem was my exhaust got bent from hitting a tyre i welded a 300mm 3" flexi pipe into my down pipe solid mounted the exhaust from the cat back and got locking tabs and steel lock nuts and 2 years later its still perfect

Rides
    What happens when you want to split the turbo from the manifold? grind the welds off I presume?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul14a View Post
    What happens when you want to split the turbo from the manifold? grind the welds off I presume?
    Thats why i would not do that its a bit industrial looking anyway

Rides
    And people moan that these cars are worth nothing. Is anyone surprised when no one's doing a proper job anymore? Paul, that's right, you have to grind it apart. Brilliant solution IMO (massive sarcasm by the way).

As Clive says, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out there's probably a flange problem. Do it right, and in your case skim the surfaces, and you should have no problems.

Rides
    Doesn't take a rocket scientist to take it apart either lol. The only reason to take it apart would be to change the manifold and if you really had to do that you would just have to grind down the sides till you were flush with sides of the flange and you will see you can cut just above the flange. After that you will have like a flange weld on top of it so take the flat face of the grinding disc and grind it downwards till the excess weld is now gone flush with flange and that's you ready for welding again.

You guys are quick to throw sarcasm etc but lots of people do this and have good results lol. I don't have to pay to get my flanges machined, I don't have to pay for gaskets, studs , nuts, locking tabs and most improtantly I don't have to take my turbo off again because of it.
    If your worried about it looking industrial you can dress weld you know. I cleaned up the front were people see the turbo but didn't see the point dressing up the back etc.

It's all good having an opinion but being dicks about something you obviously have no clue about is really cool. Like I've said lots of people do this on lots of different turbo'd cars.

Rides
    So if you kept blowing your headgasket, would you weld your head to the block?

It's not the correct thing to do, yes OK it works but it is just another hodge podge solution to a very simple problem. Seems gone are the days of doing something right and here is the era of it doesn't matter how it's done as long as it works. It's not a personal dig, it's just an actual opinion.

It's why I'll never buy another modified SX lol.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul14a View Post
    Same as people with one piece manifold / turbine housing do. Take the manifold off, remove the turbo body from the turbine housing. It's not uncommon, it's done for space saving and installation, mainly on transverse engines, like C20LET.

Or some VW / Seat (I think it's a TDI with variable nozzle or vanes).

It just means that a turbo upgrade usually requires a manifold with a flange. So is a lot more expensive than putting a T28 on a S13. Or keeps the stock manifold and has to use the stock turbine wheel but with a bigger compressor (hybrid turbo) which is quite limiting. At least he can grind the weld out and weld another on. There's not enough meat in the wall of a one piece manifold / turbine housing to weld a flange on without it tending to crack off.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    So if you kept blowing your headgasket, would you weld your head to the block?

It's not the correct thing to do, yes OK it works but it is just another hodge podge solution to a very simple problem. Seems gone are the days of doing something right and here is the era of it doesn't matter how it's done as long as it works. It's not a personal dig, it's just an actual opinion.

It's why I'll never buy another modified SX lol.
    Actually people do weld there heads to there block lol

And I don't see how it's hodge podge. If you go back and read the last thread dunks says it's common practice, another said a lot of pro tuners do etc.

Rides
    Some states of tune you literally won't get a good enough gasket to cope with prolonged abuse which is why many run with no gasket at all or weld it as done above.

Welding is a worse case scenario on a stock sx set up as if it's done properly the gasket should never blow. But as we know. The real life is that they always blow due to the weight of the exhaust pulling on the gasket and studs. So the only proper way to sort this would be a bracket like posted earlier.