Thread: Anyone been or know a Snap-On Franchisee

Rides

Anyone been or know a Snap-On Franchisee

Ive been looking into this but recieved mixed views and would like some opinions from others who have or thinking about going into it.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    i know 2 people, one of which left snap on and now works for himself, and a current one, i still buy tools off both of them.

Rides
    What soft of time scale have they been in the buisness if you know, cheers.

Rides
    when i used to speak to an independent tool trader he seemed to think the new guys got a rough deal compared to the guys who have been doing it for donkeys years. he said he looked into it and decided to go it alone instead.

i think they get told what to sell. i found trying to get them to order in stuff they didnt have on the van was basically impossible.

do you have to buy the stock outright then sell it to the mechanics on finance for £10 a week? although the mark up seems to be pretty good as if you offer to buy stuff cash outright you can usually get a whopping discount. think i payed like £80 for the 8-19mm spanner set around Christmas time when people are skint.

Rides
    I'm still in the dark about alot of the details but im looking to get first hand opinions before i get further into it and get a bit to far i suppose. It seems as with most franchise etc deals its all roses at the start but can be a struggle with little help. Don't get me wrong im willing to work for my place and earnings but not to be taken for a mug by others and a massive company.

Rides
    the problems that i see are,

no one has any money.
    snap on stuff is mighty expensive
    cheaper brands are knocking out some decent gear
    you will only get paid back in dribs and drabs.
    people waste your time mooching around on the van with no intention to buy stuff.

Rides
    On the plus side SXOC group buys on snap on tools could boost our buisness

Rides
    I think a lot of people are starting to invest in decent tools. I got sick of halfords crap breaking then having to stop the job to go buy a new one. The snap on stuff is rock hard your arm or hand will break before they do.

The guy I get ours off has some decent savings to give and its not like you have to buy it ever again

But Franchise is something I never recommend they always seem a rubbish deal for the Franchisee but maybe snap on is better

Rides
    Tbh looking at it from the outside there seems to be good and bad points to it, as with everything. Its going to be what you make of it. My biggest worry is what if i go for it shovel heaps of cash and then end up busted and selling the house, she would not be impressed.

I just cant get past if 30 people buy a ratchet etc and dont pay me up front and ive spent all week about in the van, diesel my wage etc, how the fu*k do you make anything??

Flamethrower
    Rides
    95 percent of the tools in my toolbox are snap on.

Erm, i will ask next week if thats okay, i can get contact numbers for you if your really intrested?

Rides
    Im in contact with my old Snap-On man who is now the field rep so ive got an in as it were, just opinions of old and new dealers what there thoughts are. Obviously it will differ from patch to patch how sales go id imagine.

Email address's would be good hosky, dont want to pester over the phone, ill let them get back to me in their own time

Flamethrower
    Rides
    okay mate, i will ask him tuesday when he come round

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    I think a lot of people are starting to invest in decent tools. I got sick of halfords crap breaking then having to stop the job to go buy a new one. The snap on stuff is rock hard your arm or hand will break before they do.

The guy I get ours off has some decent savings to give and its not like you have to buy it ever again

But Franchise is something I never recommend they always seem a rubbish deal for the Franchisee but maybe snap on is better
    Same here.

I kitted myself out with halfords pro about 4 years back. Took an 8mm ratchet spanner back about 8 months ago as was skipping on the teeth when under pressure. Got told that to claim a new one I needed original packaging and proof of purchase. How about it's fooling engraved.

So in the last 3 months I've been replacing halfords with MAC, spent about £800 so far and the difference in the tools is massive. No regrets what so ever, am actually waiting on 5 piece large spanner set (24, 26, 27, 30 & 32) which is coming in tomorrow.

Only reason I stocking up on mac rather than snap on is the mac man showed his face first lol.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddS14A View Post
    Only reason I stocking up on mac rather than snap on is the mac man showed his face first lol.

No your just a traitor

Rides
    Lol fair enough

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddS14A View Post
    Lol fair enough

Just jesting. The tool market will always blow hot and cold, there will always be apprentices subsidized by the government needing new tools and the deals each month can be pretty fair. I think its time to get the man and see whats what while cutting through the sales guff the will no doubt be flying thick and fast