Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New gaskets or weld?

Rides

New gaskets or weld?

Need a new manifold to turbo gasket and turbo to elbow gasket so i'm deciding weather to replace or get it welded.any one else weld theirs?

Rides
    This is a joke right?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    This is a joke right?
    nah,spoke to someone in past and they said theyd had it welded

Rides
    I've been here a while and I've never seen them welded dude. Would be completely pointless. Just do it right with proper gaskets mate. Done right it should be fine

Rides
    ive seen a few people over here weld them on competition cars and works perfect, lasts much longer than gaskets.. i would imagine its a bit of a diaster come replacement time

Personally id rather run handmade thick copper gaskets, with new studs and bolts

Rides
    I've welded mine and I'm glad I did. Managed a whole drift day for a change without having to take the turbo off and change gasket and replace nuts etc.

Rides
    My turbo is welded securely to the elbow and has been for the last 6 months was a temporary measure due to the lowness snapping all the studs into the turbo but its held so well ive left it and waiting for it to fail

Rides
    I can image some spotwelds near/around the gasket area or on the studs/nuts would help alot, but totally welding it shut? That's a recipe for a total nightmare imo.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by PallominnoX View Post
    I can image some spotwelds near/around the gasket area or on the studs/nuts would help alot, but totally welding it shut? That's a recipe for a total nightmare imo.
    Whydo you think that? It's been perfect lol

Rides
    In my experience half the welded on turbos are done by people not understanding the fact that their studs and nuts are worn out and won't stay tight.. If you replace them and make/ buy simple locking tabs there will be no problem at all.. Welding a turbo on is a monumental bodge and not needed.. And use quality gaskets not eBay shite.. !!!

And in proper competition they use a damper.. like the engine damper kits seen on many modded cars, that goes from the turbo housing to the head and this helps with the flex of the manifold as the temperatures change rapidly and obviously helps support the turbo.. Come on people raise yer game a bit..

Rides
    I replaced everything on mine last time , gaskets ,nuts , studs and locking tabs ! And it lasted about 8 months !! And that's driving sensible !! It's the only thing that really p!sses me off about the sr20 !!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by s14rob View Post
    I replaced everything on mine last time , gaskets ,nuts , studs and locking tabs ! And it lasted about 8 months !! And that's driving sensible !! It's the only thing that really p!sses me off about the sr20 !!
    Same here and no I didn't use eBay shite. I've even tried copper gaskets but the main issue is the flanges on the s/s manifold expand and retract a fair bit stretching the studs rapidly. I never had one issue when using a standard manifold.

Rides
    Also if your gaskets ain't blowing then you ain't driving it hard enough lol. Probably the worst problem is the limiter when drifting lol

Rides
    the only thing I needed to do to stop gasket problems was to spot weld the top of the studs in the stainless mani in and use metal locking nuts.

I found that the studs were the problem - they were just coming out.

for the blind studs in the elbow, I just used a thin coating of exhaust paste and that held them in.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Well I wasn't taking risks as I'd changed the gasket 3 times in a 1000miles and said **** it and it's been fine.

Rides
    Welding turbos to manifolds is a perfectly common practice even if its never been heard of on the sxoc before, I can assure it goes on a lot and is a very effective way to solve gasket issues.

Another one for you, no gaskets at all. Also works very well. Ask the ford boys.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    No gaskets at all? Guess both surfaces could do with a skim to make sure they are 100% if your trying this though?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I know of a few tuners that have welded turbos to the manifold, or just put spot welds on the corners so you can cut it off if needed later.

I like Mr Jugglers idea though, weld the back of the studs in the SS manifolds !!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMat View Post
    I know of a few tuners that have welded turbos to the manifold, or just put spot welds on the corners so you can cut it off if needed later.

I like Mr Jugglers idea though, weld the back of the studs in the SS manifolds !!
    The studs still stretch and the flange will still warp causing issues. Dunks I think the only reason the fordy boys get away with no gaskets is because they stick with cast manifold which won't distort as easy.

Rides
    It just seems like overkill to me.

The gaskets last fine in many other s bodies, so if they're repeatedly going you have a problem causing that. Welding it up, while I have no doubt works, is just skirting round the cause and will be a shit if you ever need to change one of the components.