View Poll Results: Have you removed your airbag in favour of a nicer steering wheel?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 35 - Keeping the airbag functioning is important to me

19 33.93%
  • Under 35 - F**k the airbag, I want to be able to choose any steering wheel

22 39.29%
  • Over 35 - Keeping the airbag functioning is important to me

9 16.07%
  • Over 35 - F**k the airbag, I want to be able to choose any steering wheel

6 10.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signs of getting old. Nice steering wheel or airbag?

Rides

Signs of getting old. Nice steering wheel or airbag?

I just updated my thread on the new Mx5 and it got me wondering if anyone else feels the same?

Even a year ago I wouldn't have ever considered not changing my wheel for a nice dished Sparco wheel, but now, the original is staying because I don't want to lose the airbag. I wonder if it comes with age?

Who runs well spec'd cars (not competition caged cars) and has changed the steering wheel and who has left the original for the same reasons as me? It will be interesting if it has a correlation with age as well so post your age if you have an opinion.

I am 28
    Last edited by Madda; 09-10-2011 at 11:07.

Rides
    Your just older than you actually are

Rides
    Ditch it, you want something nice to grip and not something thats going to slide through your hands.

Rides
    I've binned the original wheel and airbag and passenger airbag aswell

Rides
    Original wheel gone, no passenger airbag on this one. As I am harnessed up an airbag would potentially do more damage I believe?

Rides
    Airbags are shit anyway.

Dished nardi all the way

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsbhoy View Post
    Airbags are shit anyway.

Dished nardi all the way

I hope to not have to find out, but I assume there is a reason why they are now in almost every car which comes off the production line

Rides
    Nardi 330mm deep corn suede with quick release FTMFW!

I've seen a demo of an airbag going off and I literally filled my Calvins. No way I want one of those exploding in my boat thank you.

Once you've felt a Nardi there's no going back.

Edit: I'm 30 years of age.

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Not as "well specced" as some but I'm keeping the airbag. I've been in an accident where it went off and it certainly saved me from a more serious injury than I actually received.

I'm 33.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Madda View Post
    I hope to not have to find out, but I assume there is a reason why they are now in almost every car which comes off the production line
    its the law thats why, i think they gotta have a min number of airbags now to pass safty regulations.

btw omp deep dish sude with snap off ftw

Rides
    Most of the cars I've owned didn't leave the factory with one anyway

I would swap a bagged wheel for a decent OMP etc if I wanted to though. I'm not big on personal safety

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Nardi 330mm deep corn suede with quick release FTMFW!

I've seen a demo of an airbag going off and I literally filled my Calvins. No way I want one of those exploding in my boat thank you.

Once you've felt a Nardi there's no going back.

Edit: I'm 30 years of age.
    I have a Nardi too, it just has an airbag

Quote Originally Posted by Teggers View Post
    Not as "well specced" as some but I'm keeping the airbag. I've been in an accident where it went off and it certainly saved me from a more serious injury than I actually received.

I'm 33.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxD View Post
    its the law thats why, i think they gotta have a min number of airbags now to pass safty regulations.

btw omp deep dish sude with snap off ftw
    LMAO, and they invent these laws just for fun do they? Like wearing a seatbelt and not talking on your phone whilst driving. This whole conversation is about safety over style, its a law, and a law for a reason

Rides
    Watch the crash footage of SM Kev at Cadwell Park from inside the car on a wet track.

This is the reason regardless of age why I have always left the airbags intact.

It does not matter if you are harnessed and helmeted, the car deforms and flexes to such an extent during a heavy impact the airbag is still very useful (slows the retardation of the head and as such the speed as which the brain hits the skull) and why I have it even with proper harness and seat etc.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Ditch the airbag, and if worried about bad crashes drive everywhere with a helmet and Hans device fitted

Rides
    I'm not under 35 or over 35

But I have binned the airbag wheel for a tasty Nismo

Rides
    Airbag deployment is sporadic at best in accidents, especially on older cars. Theres no way id trust the system on my 16 year old S14, Ive seen to many bags deploy after the accident, usually when we were trying to cut people out of the wreck. And the powder burns are a bitch.

New cars systems seem to be pretty awesome though, especially with the side ones.
    Last edited by Prior; 09-10-2011 at 19:07.

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    Airbag deployment is sporadic is best in accidents, especially on older cars. Theres no way id trust the system on my 16 year old S14, Ive seen to many bags deploy after the accident, usually when were trying to cut people out of the wreck. And the powder burns are a bitch.

New cars systems seem to be pretty awesome though, especially with the side ones.
    Ouch. Yes. I did have a burn on my hand from the charge going off. And the car was a 3 month old Focus (in 2002) not my Nissan!

Rides
    We 'tested' an airbag the other day, was about 12 years old, placed it under the bonnet of a scrap car and set it off. Put it this way it deformed the bonnet that I wouldn't be able to even get it semi straight with a hammer.

Not to mention I've been in 2 accidents and the first one I was only able to stop myself from hitting a crash barrier was by pulling the handbrake up and steering. The initial impact would have been enough to deploy an airbag, therefore stoping me, from stopping a more serious injury.

Finally on a driving course lately a lad I was with had a knock in his astra 04ish. It wasn't that major but the airbag deploying knocked him clean out and burned his face, 6 months on when I saw him and they were very visible

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Watch the crash footage of SM Kev at Cadwell Park from inside the car on a wet track.

This is the reason regardless of age why I have always left the airbags intact.

It does not matter if you are harnessed and helmeted, the car deforms and flexes to such an extent during a heavy impact the airbag is still very useful (slows the retardation of the head and as such the speed as which the brain hits the skull) and why I have it even with proper harness and seat etc.
    Any link to that vid Scottie?

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Votes are evening out a bit as time goes on