Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exeter to Oxted

Rides

Exeter to Oxted

A303 or M5/M4...

Which route would you take? I suspect I may get ruined by traffic both ways tomorrow, but I can hope

Rides
    m4 - expect roadworks/tossers in jags
    a303 expect a more active, interesting drive but less lanes

I personally would stick to the 303

Rides
    All depends on when you're going to drive. I would have thought you'd be fine on the way there but blessed with the Bank holiday traffic heading south on the way back... then you're screwed either way

Rides
    A303 everytime. it's a much nicer road to drive on. M4/M5 is just plain boring.

Rides
    Depends what sort of day, and how quickly you want to get there.

The 303 is awful, yes more scenary, and a nicer drive. But if its clogged up with holiday traffic/caravans it can add ALOT of time onto the journey

Rides
    I am heading in the Skoda from Exeter to Oxted tomorrow at 1300 roughly.

I will be returning from Oxted to Exeter within a few minutes of arriving, driving an S15 with a Skoda in convoy, driving sensible so I dont die.

The 303 appeals more, what will friday afternoon be like approaching the M25? I guess I am going to have that problem with both options, so it's pretty moot. Most people for holiday traffic, unless they're mental, will be heading west, so the trip there shouldn't be toooo bad at least.

Rides
    You should be fine heading to Oxted, there's road works with imposed 50mph limit between junction 9 and 10 of the M25 (same on way back) but it's usually not too bad. You could always just take the A25 then A31 down to Winchester on the way back if traffic looks bad.

Rides
    I estimate that it will take about 10 hours in total

Rides
    The way back it's seriously tempting to head down the A3(M) to try out the new tunnel... but I think just getting home is the best plan, I can play tunnels at the weekend

Sorry Gary, I am inclined to agree with 10 hour estimate, it is possible to do it quicker, but luck isn't exactly my strong point.

Can you PM me your work address please?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    A303 should be quicker if all goes smoothly.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    if all goes smoothly.
    Thanks Why do I have a feeling of dooooooom about this?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I was referring to the traffic but now you mention it
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    i'll pm you the address later, do you have a tool kit in the skoda? I have a 150 piece one in my car if you want to bring it

Rides
    cant hurt Skoda doesn't have tools, doesn't generally need them... if yours is to hand it'd be good to take it, otherwise I can load up the skoda before I leave, but they'll rattle around as I dont have a nice box for them

Rides
    Is there a sweepstake option on these forums? Anybody want to start one for how many miles we'll make it without issue?

Rides
    A303.

Assumption is the mother of failure - THERE WILL BE NO PROBLEMS!!!

(disclaimer*in no way will the above statement be held liable for any form of jinx)

All the best Ben.

Rides
    My record slowest journey for getting to just outside Taunton, from just south of Cambridge, is 6 hours. The quickest is under 3 hours .

As long as you don't get caught up at Stonehenge (I strongly suggest you bypass it by heading through Larkhill if it looks even remotely busy - turn left at the last roundabout before SH ) then the A303 is a really nice drive .

If you remember, give a little wave to my parents in the general direction of Ilminster as you go past

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    As long as you don't get caught up at Stonehenge (I strongly suggest you bypass it by heading through Larkhill if it looks even remotely busy - turn left at the last roundabout before SH ) then the A303 is a really nice drive .
    Shh dont let the secret out

That shortcut has saved me many hours on plenty of occasions

Its bad enough spending almost everyday round the Wilton/Larkhill/Upavon/anywhere where the bloody MOD are for work without having the 303 to contend with

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Thanks Why do I have a feeling of dooooooom about this?
    Because its a bank holiday weekend and every mother and their mothers are going to be on the road

Also a303 on the way back means you get to glance at the henge and tick it off your list of things-to-waste-your-time-doing-and-realising-its-just-some-rocks-and-grass-and-there-are-better-things-to-be-doing-like-masturbating ...before you die.

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    The way back it's seriously tempting to head down the A3(M) to try out the new tunnel... but I think just getting home is the best plan, I can play tunnels at the weekend
    Do this Tis a bank holiday this weekend. DO NOT use the a303 unless you want to sit there for hours in the bottlenecks at stonehenge,
    top of the hill past Wylye, bottom of the hill before Chicklade, before Yeovilton and the roundabounts. Not to mention the stupid Ilminster by-pass. Then its mostly single carriageway again till Honiton. TBH I avoid the a303 totally unless I'm driving late at night or very early in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    A303 should be quicker if all goes smoothly.
    It won't. Not on a friday before a bank holiday monday during school summer holidays. I used to live next to the a303 - worked in Andover, lived outside Chicklade. 28 miles. One friday I forgot it was a bank hol monday and it took me 4 hours to get home.

BTW, good luck mate and have fun Let me know how it goes and what route you took!