Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: In the market for a new watch

Rides
    I got a bit busy again over the last couple of weeks and have bought another 3 'curiosities' for the collection. Two of which will have to wait but yesterday I took a trip up into London to pick up a microbrand Zelos Horizons GMT from a private seller.

Incredibly pretty thing in the metal. Case finishing is excellent and the bracelet fit / finish not bad either, the clasp is superb with plenty of micro-adjust and comfortable, milled inner. The sapphire and the dial are gorgeous and I can't help but love the sweet spot of its dimensions at 40mm, with the coin edge bezel and bevelled glass making it sit proud but perfectly wearable and a compact lug to lug meaning it sits lovely on the wrist. It has just about the right heft to it.

The movement and decoration on the rotor both look great through the caseback and so far it's proven to be very accurate, albeit I've only had it just over 24 hours.

There are a couple of niggles - as a GMT it's, umm, not the easiest to decipher as, ironically, that lovely compact case and the bevelled sapphire conspire to make the chapter ring illegible from the top down position, but for something this pretty, I'm willing to let that one slide

But the party piece - the lume..... oh the lume

Love it already - it's a solid keeper.

Rides
    You do seem to like these quirky watches! That one looks pretty cool, be I see what you mean about the rehaut / chapter ring being almost impossible to see.

Rides
    Yes, I do like them quirky. I have had a bit of a run recently on buying up more obscure bits.

There's still some room in the collection for the more luxury tier but I haven't been wearing my more expensive pieces and have had a lot of enjoyment from less expensive, more interesting pieces - even a Steeldive Seiko Tuna homage has seen a lot of wrist time.

Rides
    I bought my brother a DIY Watch Club diver for his birthday, really interested to see how it looks when assembled.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    I bought my brother a DIY Watch Club diver for his birthday, really interested to see how it looks when assembled.
    How did it turn out, Ben?

It will come as surprise to no-one, I'm sure, that I've managed to accumulate a few more bits

Firstly, a friend of mine had this Steinhart Ocean GMT knocking around. Clearly a rip-off *cough* I mean Homage of the Rolex SD. He bought it and then stumbled upon a Ocean GMT Vintage which is an Explorer clone *cough* I mean tribute. So he then bought that and wanted to offload the SD lookie likey. I am not a massive fan of such obvious clones - but then I do still have a Parnis Panerai ringer around here somewhere which I used to wear quite a bit - and wouldn't ordinarily have bothered but it was extremely cheap, and I thought if I don't get on with it, I'll just knock it on.

Then I'd been hankering after a modern style pilots watch and the top of the list was a Hamilton Khaki Pilot 'Cooper' but I couldn't find one for the kind of money I wanted to pay - they've been selling at a premium lately, it seems. So up came an alternative - and I have to say I really love this Alpina. In house movement - beautifully constructed and, again, quite quirky with the crown being different from what you'll find on pilot watches elsewhere.

Last but not least, I was rifling through Marloe's catalogue thinking about a Coniston after seeing one in here a while back and - lo and behold - on one of the watch groups I follow up pops a Limited Edition Marloe Eyre. Limited to 403 pieces to commemorate the Campbell World Speed Record on the flats at Eyre. It's a really very pretty piece, and I can't believe now much watch it is for the money. Yes it's only a Miyota at the heart of it, but it's very well decorated and set in a beautiful case. It arrived just in time for Helmingham Hall so it seemed only right

Rides
    Lovely Marloe Arry, I keep going back to the website to drool. They have been releasing a lot of new models lately. Still fancy thier chrono I'm just not sure how tall it sits.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    How did it turn out, Ben?
    Pretty nice

He said it ws quite difficult to do but very enjoyable.

Rides
    Haha, love it. Might have a go myself

Rides
    Woops

Captain Willard clone. It's been on the wrist for nearly 10 days and it's running ~15 seconds behind time. Decent

Rides
    No where near as fancy as most in here but I did a buy on a piece of cold War USSR superior machinery!

images.jpeg-14.jpg

1980s Cold War timekeeping

Rides
    Raketa - awesome

Rides
    I've bought another Smiths. Caribbean 1000m in yellow with blue bezel and beads of rice steel bracelet. Can't wait to get it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    No where near as fancy as most in here but I did a buy on a piece of cold War USSR superior machinery!

images.jpeg-14.jpg

1980s Cold War timekeeping
    That is very cool!

Rides
    Well as you can guess if you read any of my posts on the motorbike thread...... it takes me a long time get my arse in gear and buy something...

Anyhow, as yesterday marked 10yrs betrothed to the Mrs and with no holiday on the cards we decided to spaff some cash on bling instead...

Ended up with a grey hydroconquest 41mm and I'm pretty happy with it, hopefully I'll remember to take it off next time I'm welding so it doesn't end up the same way as my edifice and peppered with melts - doh!

But £400 off the bill between this and a new ring for the Mrs made it a bargain - I think

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Rides
    First proper experience of Swiss superluminova.... wow

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    That is very cool!
    I thought so too, its a Copernicus with the sun and the moon as the hands.

They are still made today but they dont have the little lip on the rim of the watch body.

Rides
    Very nice Damo

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Ended up with a grey hydroconquest 41mm and I'm pretty happy with it
    Nice work mate

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    I've bought another Smiths. Caribbean 1000m in yellow with blue bezel and beads of rice steel bracelet. Can't wait to get it
    It's arrived and it's

Bracelet is currently sized up for Chris Hoy's right thigh and despite me having lots of watch tools, I haven't a screwdriver that's a snug fit for this one - so that's a bit frustrating as I want to wear it now

Rides
    I quite like that, I have a bit of a fetishism for yellow dials it seems....

I very nearly went all out on a breitling superocean with the yellow dial, but talked myself out of it as I intend to wear it every day and quite probably on the mountain bike and work etc, and a 3.5k damaged watch would really really upset me...

So I did the sensible thing and spent the difference on the Mrs new ring instead, I imagine now I've started on another expensive hobby one will make an appearance tho