Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: In the market for a new watch

Rides

In the market for a new watch

I've decided to get myself a new watch, one to keep and am trying to decide to either go for Rolex or another Omega... new / secondhand

Looking at spending up to £1500, so definately looking at the low end classic Rolex Oyster or Omega Seamaster if buying new or looking elsewhere at the 2nd hand market then spending a couple of hundred sending it off for a service and refurb (I already have an Omega Constellation that was my uncles and after that went off to Omega for 6 weeks, it came back looking like a new watch.)

I'm not bothered about how accurate they are as my Seiko will probably keep better time, just a nice piece of jewellry that doesn't look TOO ostentatious.

Suggestions?

Rides
    Tag?
    Or a Hamilton?

Rides
    I know precisely nothing about smart watches, but there's an article in this month's CAR magazine, saying that many Swiss brands use movements bought in from a company called ETA.
    They were reviewing four which don't.
    Prices are £3600 upwards, but there are more basic models, and always secondhand.

They were,Nomos Zurich World Time, Dirk Dornblüth & Sohn Regulator, Audemars Piquet Royal Oak, Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Annual Calendar.

Rides
    Shit... you could buy another car for that.

Rides
    Love my Rolex Submariner

Its the only watch you would even need.

Bit pricey though go to a dealer and have a nose though see what you think about them, some people don't like the weight of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by VIDAL BABBOON View Post
    Love my Rolex Submariner

Its the only watch you would even need.

Bit pricey though go to a dealer and have a nose though see what you think about them, some people don't like the weight of them.
    Bit too pricey and ostentatious for me, if I was going for a submariner I'd want one costing at least 15K

That'swhy I'm looking at Stainless Steel models. Nice but discreet and have already got a gold Omega

I did look at Breitling but the only ones I liked were out of my budget

Rides
    Post pics I seen a belter last week, was 3K tho :s

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou-Lou View Post
    Shit... you could buy another car for that.
    Yeah, that's why I don't want to go above £1500

I totalled up the cost of my AV kit and was shocked it cost the best part of 10K - not including the media which must double that...

It's time I started being more frugal

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AshT_200 View Post
    Bit too pricey and ostentatious for me, if I was going for a submariner I'd want one costing at least 15K

That'swhy I'm looking at Stainless Steel models. Nice but discreet and have already got a gold Omega

I did look at Breitling but the only ones I liked were out of my budget
    Mines stainless

Don't see the point in having a bling divers watch lol

Have a look at the Oyster, lovely watch and should be possible on your budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by VIDAL BABBOON View Post
    Mines stainless

Don't see the point in having a bling divers watch lol

Have a look at the Oyster, lovely watch and should be possible on your budget.
    That's what I'm looking at, classic Oyster Datejust

Rides
    I had one of these bought for me by my ex wife

Its a nice looking watch but very heavy and has been known to make my wrist ache if i wear it alot. also it has to be worn to keep its time as it has an auto winder. But not bad as a pressy

Rides
    Nice Rado for me :-)

Rides
    I would get an Omega as prices for Rolexs have shot up recently for no good reason other than they can. Some of their prices are now on par with the really decent watch makers and IMO they dont warrant it.

At £1500 it will have to be secondhand as it wouldnt be worth spending that on a quartz. I have an Omega Seamaster and a Panerai PAM 320. I prefer the Panerai as they are a bit more rare and will remain so due to the numbers they make every year and IMO the Luminor looks great
    Last edited by Alany; 07-08-2011 at 06:52.

Rides
    I love my omega seamaster. Got mine with the bright orange bezel as it looks so different.

If I was in the market again, I would defo be buying another omega. They look the part and am always getting jealous comments about it

Rides
    I got a breitling silver / gold and I love it , probably get a rolex next has I have a thing for watches , I priced some rolex's the other day and one of the submariners that I wanted is in the 7k bracket , feck knows why ???
    Another one which I also like is IWC they are worth looking at

Rides
    i love the look of some constantin weisz watches, usually they have a small window in the face so you can see the movement etc

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewaysfun View Post
    I love my omega seamaster. Got mine with the bright orange bezel as it looks so different.

If I was in the market again, I would defo be buying another omega. They look the part and am always getting jealous comments about it
    For £1500 then an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean would be my choice secondhand. Grreat looking watch and the coaxial movement is fantastic.
    Last edited by Alany; 07-08-2011 at 10:02.

Rides
    take a look around Timezone.com, Watchuseek, watchprosite, the watch forum, PMWF, TZ-UK

Online dealers look at Blowers, and Chronomaster both have excellent reputations.

What is it you are after?
    Dress
    Divers/sporty
    Pilot
    Chrono

£1500 is a funny price bracket for second hand - there is not much around, plenty of stuff higher and lower.

look at
    Anonimo - offshoot from Panerai
    Ball - brand new (tritium tubes as lume which is interesting) I like their big pilot watch and the Hydrocarbon range.
    Oris - some really good 'dive/sport' and brand new in your bracket. Carlos Costa, and the regul;ator are my fave's
    Sinn
    Nomos
    Plenty of sub lookylikes with good quality movments and sapphire crystal from people like Marcelllo C, Grovana, Debaufre etc and all <500 so you can add another to the collection
    Zenith - Rainbow flyback with the allegedly best chrono movement ever made 'El Primero'
    Corum - Admirals cup range
    Chopard Mille Miglia - nice

WatchUseek are full of small ateliers chucking out phenominal quality pieces in small numbers - unique rather the common as muck rolex and omega's

just look around the sites.
    just to name a few

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Alany View Post
    For £1500 then an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean would be my choice secondhand. Grreat looking watch and the coaxial movement is fantastic.
    tend to agree to a certain extent - excellent watch, but still relatively common for me - I like to be a bit off the beaten track.

I have 10 watches ranging in retail price from £50 - £12,500 and not one is a common brand. I have 1 totally bespoke unique watch, and one which is number 41 of 50, a tourbillon. Each one has to have a 'feature' which makes it different from the rest.
    PVD,
    chrono,
    retrograde,
    power reserve,
    titanium,
    regulator,
    toubillon,
    California dial,

Rides
    if its just as a bit of jewellery (and i may get flamed for this) just buy a rep http://swissreplica.co.uk/