Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: In the market for a new watch

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Ummed and arred about this one but decided to see if I could snag one (ordering from TF is notoriously difficult and watches often go at double retail on eBay for this reason).

Had it sat in its box for about 4 weeks thinking whether I'd be that guy who makes a few hundred quid, or whether I'd keep it. Been seeing a few other purchasers popping up on Facebook and enjoying it, so I decided what the hell. Sized / de-stickered.

It's a bit of a mix of styles and I really wasn't sure on the Mercedes hands at first, but it is really decent quality all through.

That's 3 Smiths in the collection now.
    That is nice

Rides
    This has been my daily watch for the last 14 years, have others, but this one just feels right for work.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Rides
    Nice. I have my Dad's Junghans watch that he bought new in the 1950s. It still keeps excellent time

Rides
    After hearing "West London Youf" talking today, this thread should be renamed to In the market for a new "Kettle"

I had to Google it

Rides
    Mum bought me an amazing Christmas present.

A Watch box. Leather covered and velvet lined. I'm speechless

Rides
    Not sure if you would into this or not...........

1980 Glashütte Spezichron automatic
    With coffee sunburst dial. 22 jewels.

Being 1980, this was made in the DDR when the Iron Curtain in East Germany was still drawn tightly shut.
    About 10ish years ago, Glashütte made a homage edition model of this watch which sold for about 10k. (Modern one: https://uhren-miquel.com/Glashuette-Spezichron/5886 )

It is chunky and has real presence. It looks and feels of quality, totally unlike the cheap and cheerful East German Ruhlas that I own. This is a totally different beast.

And this is not just any old Spezichron. This was an official gift from the SED to some worthy citizen, or visiting dignitary from another Communist dictatorship. (Think of the Nazi party giving an official gift to someone). All citizens were equal in the DDR but some moreso than others, especially if they did something which was deemed worthy enough.
    So who did the SED award this watch to? And what did they do to make themselves worthy of it?........scary to think....
    This impressive hunk of Commie metal would have stood out among a grey world of cheap and tacky jewelless Ruhlas at the time.....

"Honorary gift from the Central Committee of the SED"

Rides
    This looks rather interesting

A piece of world history on your wrist
    The X4009 Anthra Gray is a limited-edition timepiece made from Mk1a Spitfire aircraft X4009, flown by Australian fighter-ace Pat Hughes during the Battle of Britain.

Paterson Clarence Hughes, DFC, was an Australian fighter ace of World War II serving with the RAF, and is today perhaps the greatest unsung hero of the Battle of Britain.

Hughes is credited with as many as 17 aerial victories during the aerial campaign of summer 1940, ranking him sixth in the “Ace of Aces”, as well as making him the highest-scoring Australian of the battle.

The X4009 aircraft wreckage was discovered in 2020, and is currently undergoing a complete restoration overseen by the Hunter Fighter Collection charity organisation.

Recognized for its combat history and unique record with one of the Battle of Britain’s most successful pilots, makes it one of if not the most famous and significant Spitfire aircraft restorations ever undertaken.

Original and authentic aluminium from the fuselage, deemed unfit for the on-going restoration, have been donated and incorporated into the small-seconds subdial at 6 o’clock.

Customers will actively take part in bringing Spitfire aircraft Mk1a X4009 back to her former glory, as we donate a portion of the sale from each timepiece back to the restoration fund.

– Pre-order from APRIL 2023.
    – Delivery expected from AUGUST 2023.
    – Limited to 844 pieces, all individually numbered.

Rides
    That looks cool! Do you have the link to the website?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    That looks cool! Do you have the link to the website?
    https://www.recwatches.com/timepiece...ons/aircrafts/

Rides
    Cheers!