Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Who's in to Real Ale?

Rides
    oooh look where I've been

SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    Where's that then?

I checked earlier and there weren't any decent beer festivals between now and the end of the year

I suppose we could organise a brewery tour, but that means someone having to do at least some driving.

Rides
    It's Theakston's brewery

Could try Fullers Arry, we could pretty much get a tube to it
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    By golly you're right We should do that

Who's up for it then? Tube ride out past Earls Court to the west of the city - WEEKDAYS only so you'd need at least an afternoon off. Takes about an hour and a half to get around there, and it's £10 a person

Here:
    http://www.fullers.co.uk/rte.asp?id=134

Persons interested?!

Rides
    I booked a brewery tour of shepherd neame for next month for me n mrs egon. Should be a giggle..

Rides
    Spitfire, whitstable bay and oranjeboom - I'll say!

Rides

Gamers Read This...

Rides
    LOL! I Like that.
    Could cause me a problem though as i'll be going in the bmw and if i took the peugeot, it'd surrender before we got to the A2....

Got a "gift pack" coming too....glass and beer methinks..

I tried one of my latest home brews last night and jolly nice it was too. Not far off Hobgoblin.Yay for cheap beer!

Rides
    spoons has a beer festival starting 5th october, got some good ones coming in

Flamethrower
    Rides
    it may just be a norfolk thing im not too sure, but is 'wherry' a proper ale? my sisters fiance's dad drinks it... and just wondered...

Rides
    Woodfords' is a proper ale

Spoons fest is always shit, they can't keep proper beer, don't have the cellars for it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Indeed it is, couldn't agree more

+ Woodforde's home brew kits are probably the best on the market at the moment. Especially their comprehensive home brewer's starter kits for £80 odd or so.

Spoons fest is always shit, they can't keep proper beer, don't have the cellars for it
    But there I couldn't agree less.

Every Wetherspoons cellar I have seen has been immaculately kept, the beer properly racked and served and not a word of criticism appropriate.

The other prevalent piece of bullshit going the rounds is that Wetherspoons can only sell the beer at the price they do because it is short dated / over dated rubbish bought in cheap.

A rumour I have little doubt was and is deliberately put about by 'Spoons competitors. Both malicious and untrue.

How do I know ? 'cos I work at a brewery making and selling the stuff to 'Spoons.

They certainly get a discount for the sheer quantity they buy. But offer them a short date / out of date barrel or ten ?
    Forget it.
    I'd expect the barrels to boomerang back on the lorry plus a formal complaint to the boss.

Some of their venues may be in troublesome areas and behaviour of the punters a little "challenging" but their management of the beer, that they get right.

Rides
    Rochester....you work in a brewery?

I've just found my new best friend... LOL!

The woodfords kits have a very good name on the www. Might even have a pop at one of theirs next....need to free up some bottles first though, by drinking huge quatities of my last brew! 25 bottles of bitter then 21 bottles of belgian grand cru.(8%+).

I got recommended an app for the iphone4 yesterday, from the bloke who organises the beer festival in faversham, called the "CAMRA good beer guide mobile". Granted, it was a fiver, (had vouchers left on my itunes though!) and it lists a truckload of beery goodness..
    Last edited by Egon; 23-09-2011 at 05:51.

Rides
    Hogs Back FTW

Second best job in the world*, organising piss ups in a Brewery . For real !

Anyone interested in a brewery tour just let me know and a discount is at your disposal....
    Last edited by Rochester; 25-09-2011 at 14:36. Reason: * Product tester at the local brothel

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
    Hogs Back FTW

Second best job in the world*, organising piss ups in a Brewery . For real !

Anyone interested in a brewery tour just let me know and a discount is at your disposal....
    Where's your brewery mate? My office is in Egham and we are due an "Away day" Brewery tour sounds like an ace idea

Rides
    I can see a south east get together coming up!!!

Just to see the 'beer engine'!
    Last edited by Egon; 25-09-2011 at 19:20. Reason: Beer. Nuff said.

Rides
    I miss real ale, can't get it out here in Spain but when I go home I always make sure I have a few lovely pints of Butcombe (got to be a bit careful how you say that )

Also like Bath Ales Gem

Rides

been working for spoons for 10 years and i dissagree mate, our managers go thru so much training and with regular visitors to our cellars they have to be imaculte, can you elaborate on how we dont have the cellars for it and cant keep "proper" beer??

we run a widget system in our place but obv not all pubs do some run self tilt stillage or in exeter they have room to have a ale bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochester View Post

But there I couldn't agree less.

Every Wetherspoons cellar I have seen has been immaculately kept, the beer properly racked and served and not a word of criticism appropriate.

The other prevalent piece of bullshit going the rounds is that Wetherspoons can only sell the beer at the price they do because it is short dated / over dated rubbish bought in cheap.

A rumour I have little doubt was and is deliberately put about by 'Spoons competitors. Both malicious and untrue.

How do I know ? 'cos I work at a brewery making and selling the stuff to 'Spoons.

They certainly get a discount for the sheer quantity they buy. But offer them a short date / out of date barrel or ten ?
    Forget it.
    I'd expect the barrels to boomerang back on the lorry plus a formal complaint to the boss.

Some of their venues may be in troublesome areas and behaviour of the punters a little "challenging" but their management of the beer, that they get right.
    agree with this, we had our first 30 guest ales delivered this week and dates go into december, we can sell nearly 200 gallons of ale per week spoons just has such massive buying power we demand our own prices and this is why we are one of the only pub chains not struggling, my goal is to get my pub in the good beer guide and have links to camra.

Rides
    off to my local spoons tonight for a swift half, by that i mean get wasted.

Rides
    John Smiths is my favourite cannot be beaten