Thread: How Low?

Rides

How Low?

Hi, tried a search but didn't come up with much, although I do remember reading something similar to my problem a while back, but can't find it, sorry!

Am now fed up with exhaust de-cat silencer scraping over speed bumps and car park ramps, have to plan journeys to avoid them.
    Car isn't silly low at all, Nismo S Tunes all round.
    Blitz Nur Spec system with Apex frontpipe and de-cat silencer.
    As far as I know manifold and elbow original, never touched them in all my years of ownership. Original front pipe had the small cat. in it.
    Haven't measured it yet (must do that) but silencer is considerably lower than chassis rails with a large gap between top of silencer and heatshield on floor pan. Assume it should be tucked up tighter than this.
    Exhaust system still fits fine, tail pipe exits in correct spot.
    If you look at car side on from the other side of the road you can see the silencer under the car!
    This can't be right surely?

Rides
    my car aint that low, and i've recently scraped one of the decat flanges - its now blowing

my horsham mani seems to sit the turbo slightly lower than stock and so that end of the exhaust is easier to scrape.

i've thought about maybe paying someone to take half an inch or so out of the straight in the downpipe. thing is once you start mixing manis, elbows, downpipes etc from different manufacturers as i've done, you never know exactly how its going to sit or fit.

in an ideal world a full custom exhaust would have it sitting nice and high for plenty of lowering headroom - but money means i'm stuck with buying and modifying individual components for now.

Rides
    remove the centre boxes

Rides
    i had bad exhaust speedbump issues on my slammed 14a with a apex type 2 mani/elbow/front pipe set up, the down pipe was at least 1 1/2 inches lower than the chassis rails
    ,i tried a 14 elbow and the split japspeed down pipe (3 inch split to two 2.5 pipes then back to 3 inch) and well pleased tbh the chassis rail and down pipe are now flush so raised the front section near 2 inches and rest of system is higher!!
    i had to use a 14 de-cat tho as 14a one was inch longer and made system hit rear sub-frame sorted mine so don't have to stop and crawl over humps with it dragging still any more yay me
    Last edited by ANDY black s13; 12-07-2011 at 14:34. Reason: can't spell or type lol

Rides
    My downpipe sits quite low as well, alot lower than the standard one. (S14 elbow and downpipe).
    I only scrape on extreme speed bumps.

Rides
    Low is a lifestyle

Rides
    Think i've got a 14a downpipe on mine (S14) so it tucks right out of the way!
    Proper snug fit, you dont need centre boxes

Rides
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Will have to get underneath and have a proper look at what clearances/space there is.
    Would love to get it tucked up tight as possible, need centre/de-cat silencer, plenty loud enough as it is!

Rides
    A flexi downpipe may help
    I am on sTunes with sensible full system and I run the Apex flexi and never had any probs with speed humps etc

Rides
    OK, got underneath today.
    De-cat silencer is 2 inches below the chassis rails
    Chopping the front pipe around to try and raise the system up closer to the floor won't help the rest of the system very much.
    Need to find a way to get the front and center sections to run closer to the floor but parallel too!

Rides
    you got 14a elbow or 14 elbow 14a runs a shorter elbow to accommodate cat in downpipe

Rides
    As far as I know it's a S14a elbow, never been touched from the factory as far as i'm aware!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamL View Post
    As far as I know it's a S14a elbow, never been touched from the factory as far as i'm aware!
    Will measure my flexi from elbow to floor and if your on sTunes you can make the comparison but I am on 350z 18s with 40 profile tyres as a matter of interest whats the wheel diameter you are running?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamL View Post
    Hi, tried a search but didn't come up with much, although I do remember reading something similar to my problem a while back, but can't find it, sorry!

Am now fed up with exhaust de-cat silencer scraping over speed bumps and car park ramps, have to plan journeys to avoid them.
    Car isn't silly low at all, Nismo S Tunes all round.
    Blitz Nur Spec system with Apex frontpipe and de-cat silencer.
    As far as I know manifold and elbow original, never touched them in all my years of ownership. Original front pipe had the small cat. in it.
    Haven't measured it yet (must do that) but silencer is considerably lower than chassis rails with a large gap between top of silencer and heatshield on floor pan. Assume it should be tucked up tighter than this.
    Exhaust system still fits fine, tail pipe exits in correct spot.
    If you look at car side on from the other side of the road you can see the silencer under the car!
    This can't be right surely?

how odd, im siting 60mm all round, and i dont scrape at all? i thought the nismo s tunes only lower a car by 25mm? but if your having trouble get some jubeliee clips and wrap them round the hangers, or get poly hangers to make some clearance

Rides
    Also, change the way you drive over those island type speed humps, one wheel ether side gves you even less ground clearance

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by KamS14A View Post
    how odd, im siting 60mm all round, and i dont scrape at all? i thought the nismo s tunes only lower a car by 25mm? but if your having trouble get some jubeliee clips and wrap them round the hangers, or get poly hangers to make some clearance
    They do only lower about 25mm yes.
    Good call on the poly hangers, have heard they are a bit shorter, every little helps!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex. View Post
    Also, change the way you drive over those island type speed humps, one wheel ether side gves you even less ground clearance
    I do drive over the island types with maximun clearance in mind, a lot of humps around here are full road width. Car park slops are even worse!