Thread: chip/remap

Rides

chip/remap

I was looking at getting a HD 1a chip for my s14a but was wondering how people are getting around there only being 95 octane at the petrol stations.Are ye remapping it for our fuel or using octane booster with the chips?Just looking for a bit of info before i make my mind up...

Rides
    go nistune or power fc and get Stiv to map it for ya.Best way to go about it

Rides
    Maxol E5 is supposed to be the same as tesco super in the UK so 97 - 99 RON.

It is what I use in mine

Go Nistune as it will be a custom map, and easily re-mapable in the future.

Rides
    nistune! but if you decided to go HD chip, once you stick to maxol e5 you'll be ok

Rides
    I had a stage 2 setup for 2 years and never had an issue. And that was back when you could only get 95.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttly View Post
    I had a stage 2 setup for 2 years and never had an issue. And that was back when you could only get 95.
    That doesn't mean your weren't getting det though mate, unless you were actively monitoring it.

@The OP, Markcro on here is running a hdev chip on E5 Maxol fuel and has had recent dyno print outs that show it being pretty safe. If you'll be be happy with a figure then a chip is a a fairly straight forward way to go but note 2 points:

1. You will get used to / bored with the power, it'll feel slow after a while so having some remap potential might be a good thing.

2. Chips are generic and all engines are different, just because all 200's came with the same type of engines (ca or sr) doesn't make them the same. some will be good and give good results, some not so much.

Hope that helps

Rides
    I'm living in Galway and all i can seem to get is 95 so other than using octane booster with every fill a HD chip is not really an option.I'll look into nistune and power fc but they seem to be alot more expensive than the chip.Thanks for the help lads,was just wondering what people in general were using

Rides
    maxol in westside is E5

Only problem with a chip is you have to plan your trips around maxol stations or use octane booster which adds up pretty quick.

I would personally go with nistune or pfc if going down the performance route.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by twincam View Post
    maxol in westside is E5
    really?!?!? are you sure?? defo buying my fuel there now

Rides
    Are you sure?I thought Galway was one of the only places that didn't have it.If it does ill be getting a HD chip soon,work is slack so don't really want to spend big money and could always have a bottle of octane booster with me if i ever get caught out
    Last edited by frostylers; 28-06-2011 at 02:11.

Rides
    is applegreen petrol not e5 now aswell. i thougjt i read on there website that it was.

2000 Nissan Silvia S15 Spec R

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sniffy View Post
    is applegreen petrol not e5 now aswell. i thougjt i read on there website that it was.
    Yes but they never confirmed their octane rating, I'd be hesitant until I had more facts.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by frostylers View Post
    I'm living in Galway and all i can seem to get is 95 so other than using octane booster with every fill a HD chip is not really an option.I'll look into nistune and power fc but they seem to be alot more expensive than the chip.Thanks for the help lads,was just wondering what people in general were using
    They are more expensive initially but just think of how much changing the chip each time you up the mods.if you have the nistune or powerfc you can optimise each time you upgrade something so you can see a progressive change in your perfromance.plus if teh engine doesnt respond well to the chip your fecked whereas you can tailor the other two to your exact spec and keep all running smoothly

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by twincam View Post
    maxol in westside is E5
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPym View Post
    really?!?!? are you sure?? defo buying my fuel there now
    Quote Originally Posted by frostylers View Post
    Are you sure?I thought Galway was one of the only places that didn't have it.

Also Maxol in Lower Salthill has E5 too - there's even an E5 sticker on the pumps

Rides
    As said above nistune is very good but id rather have apexi so you can mess about a little if you know what you doing

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
    Yes but they never confirmed their octane rating, I'd be hesitant until I had more facts.
    ya i wasnt 100% sure what the story was with it. it would be handy if it was the same as maxol. has anyone emailed them to find out what the story is with it

2000 Nissan Silvia S15 Spec R

Rides
    As far as i know all maxol do e5. I dont think they stock anything anymore?????

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by muddle84 View Post
    As far as i know all maxol do e5. I dont think they stock anything anymore?????
    That's what I would have thought but maybe ask before assuming its right

Rides
    Filled up on E5 from maxol in Salthill earlier with the E5 sticker on the pump so now off to buy a 1a chip.Thanks for the info

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
    That doesn't mean your weren't getting det though mate, unless you were actively monitoring it.

@The OP, Markcro on here is running a hdev chip on E5 Maxol fuel and has had recent dyno print outs that show it being pretty safe. If you'll be be happy with a figure then a chip is a a fairly straight forward way to go but note 2 points:

1. You will get used to / bored with the power, it'll feel slow after a while so having some remap potential might be a good thing.

2. Chips are generic and all engines are different, just because all 200's came with the same type of engines (ca or sr) doesn't make them the same. some will be good and give good results, some not so much.

Hope that helps
    As Martin says, a chip is a cheap and easy way of upgrading but you are then stuck with that power and you cannot deviate from the mods that you have fitted.
    And even with the exact same parts fitted as the car that the map was designed with, every engine will be different. Whereas a custom map will be 100% design for your engine.

That said, I had a plan in my mind where I wanted to go with my car and a chip was a quick and easy fix for me. Plug and play as I don't intend to alter the car now. Just use and maintain. :-)

HD assured me that E5 is good enough for their map as they are familar with it in the UK as well. So I just make sure to water mine with Maxol E5. It been on the rollers twice in Couture Autos and the fueling is safe and they were happy with the map.

And I have a printout from Maxol's website of all their station locations in the country. Keep it in the glove compartment.
    Last edited by markcro; 01-07-2011 at 15:49.