Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missifre under load!

Rides

Missifre under load!

Afternoon ladies and gents!

Been out with the car this afternoon getting stuck into a few issues with the car. First off was the wooshing/hissing noise when coming on boost. Managed to sort that out, found a few clips loose etc so done them up and went for a run....Car was pulling well when all of a sudden when i went to come on boost again the car misfired, only when I wanted to pick up speed this happens. Off boost the car drives fine. Once i returned home I popped the bonnet and had a look about to see if there was anything suspect and everything was secure and tight. The cars now developed a bit of a rough idle, I disconnected each coilpack one by one and as expected the car begins to run rougher as its one cylinder down When I got to coilpack number 2 its get imo considerabely worse. I may of just answered my own question but what do you guys think!?

Thanks for reading!

Rides
    if it was number 2 then wouldnt it make less difference rather than more difference?

Rides
    If it was completely shot then yeah but it drives fine off boost and idles a bit rough but not blatently on 3 cylinders. Just wondering if its braking down under load.

Rides
    halfway through your post coilpacks spring to mind without reading all of it, someone must have a set kicking about, todd must have some to borrow

Rides
    Yeah hes got a set but they've been sitting out in the rain for over a year as far as im aware

Im going to let the car cool down a bit and try it again, they only messed about once the engine has warmed up to temp and had been driving for a while! Im trying to get the car ready for brands in July!..

Rides
    u know somethin will go pete tong before then, im still gathering parts

Rides
    Were always gathering parts! What for mate?

Rides
    replace the blown t25

Rides
    What you going to do then? Splitfires coilpacks are nealry £300!

Rides
    i think there was a gb on some coilpacks recently that had good reviews, not under gb anymore but cant remember the name of them.

im gonna go cossie t3

Rides
    Have you checked the plugs?

If you disconnect a bad coil pack it shouldn't change how the car runs.

Rides
    Interesting link Baz.

I havent checked the plugs yet but i will do, would be stupid not to. I was thinking more along the lines of a possible failing coil as apposed to failed. A chap mentions in the link that a failing coil will brake down under load and cause a missfire. Obviously a completely knackered one will missfire at all times.

Rides
    This issue has happened to me at least 3 times. 2 times was caused by a knackered sparkplug. The isolated part had a very very tinny crack on it.
    I had also problem one day I missed the spark plugs code and I fit 11mm gap ones; Missfire under load all the time, of couse.

Rides
    I had this exact problem, car had been running with poor boost due to leaks for ages, fix all holes and opened it up a few times and then it started misfiring. Only occurred under load tho! Took plugs out and had completely melted the tip off one plug!! First thing to check.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashs14a View Post
    I had this exact problem, car had been running with poor boost due to leaks for ages, fix all holes and opened it up a few times and then it started misfiring. Only occurred under load tho! Took plugs out and had completely melted the tip off one plug!! First thing to check.
    Interesting, I'll look into the plugs then, i dont think it has been running poor boost for ages as you had but it certainly pulled a lot stronger once i put it back together so plugs will definately be the next thing to check before I spend 300 sheets on coilpacks! Thanks for the input mate

Rides
    Let us no what u find mate. I was shocked it ran fine with no tip driving nicely!!

Rides
    My mates was exactly the same! I took the plugs out and there in good condition. Does anyone know if there are anyway the coils can be tested with a multimeter, i done a resistance check and founf them to all have a similar reading.

Rides
    if you need new plugs mate, i have a brand new set sill in boxes. Also feel free to test them coils i had lying about

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddS14A View Post
    if you need new plugs mate, i have a brand new set sill in boxes. Also feel free to test them coils i had lying about

Just checked the plugs and there in good condition, would of been a bit concerned if a tip or two was missing

That would be good Todd cheers, i remember you saying that you wanted me to test them for you before you offer them for sale so Let me know when you're at Pats and I will come over and test them, presuming there at pats and not at yours?