Thread: 2003 Mondeo Mk3 Ghia X TDCi Estate

Rides

2003 Mondeo Mk3 Ghia X TDCi Estate

Another car purchase. This is to replace my Super reliable Mk4 Fiesta 1.7 Petrol. If it could tow a car trailer, I'd keep it, but she cant so time to move on.

A fair bit of thinking and we settled on a Mk3 Mondeo Estate. know how they drive, know the common faults, lots to choose from, parts readily available, a friend works for a dealer and the prices of most have already taken a depreciation hit so we wouldnt be losing out on a fortune. Set a budget and was messed around with a few cars. Found this in a local paper (not local to me), No mileage on advert, one poor pic. Was over budget but was up front and honest with him and told him what we had to spend and he agreed to drop a fair amount to see it go to a good home.

Basically a 2003 Facelift Mk3 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Estate Ghia x. A Ford Managers car so first keeper is Ford Motor Company. The one owner for past 8 years who did less than 3k a year. 56k miles in total now. Full Service History with many ford receipts and only the latest few years serviced at a more local service centre to the keepers home after his local Ford Dealer put their prices up. It wasn't our top choice for Colour/interior colour but the spec/price/mileage was so worth it.

Ghia X spec and options as follows:
    Ext: Honour Green with chrome trims.
    Int: Leccy Cream leather with walnut dash
    5 level heated/5 level cooled (by fans)
    Cruise Control
    Self levelling rear suspension
    Rear parking sensors
    Touch screen ford sat nav incl climate, A/C, aux in, 6 disc changer, ford fitted DVD player and screens in the back.
    Auto headlights (Halogen)
    Auto Wipers
    Auto Dimming rear view mirror
    Folding Wing Mirrors
    Heated Front screen
    Rear Tinted Windows
    Ford fitted (unused) detachable tow bar with electrics.
    Usual Trip computer settings
    18x7.5 Multispoke split rim Ghia X wheels
    and others I have probs forgot.

I appreciate it hasnt had a clutch change, or a flywheel change. The injectors seem to be working and the rear suspension isnt at fault. That covers some of the common faults but the price we paid for the spec of the car I still feel after forking out for those repairs if/when the time comes, it's still a fantastically spec'd car for the money. (Half the cost of my S14a).

No major plans as such, just keep on top of it's servicing and tidy it up. Could do with 2 front tyres, oil change, front discs have a small lip and the polished wheel lips have tarnished. Going to get it detailed to remove lots of little marks. Couple of dents to be pulled out but minimal. Not really in an accident damage location so not a concern. Firmware update on the headunit so I can update the '02 map pack to something '09+. No extra's to add really but some people have retro fitted a reversing camera(located along side a number plate light) that comes on the touch screen and added ford built in bluetooth module for phonecalls. Something I may consider at a later date if I am looking for something to do. We'll do what we can to save the car from being marked when hitching up and loading/unloading the boot with engine parts or wheels etc. So boot liners, trims etc to save the bumper or boot carpet.

For such a big car it averaged 48MPG on the way home with a variety of driving styles over 3 hrs. I'm sure it will be a different story when loaded up/towing but even as it is, thats great compared to the SX.

Cheers for looking. Fingers crossed it behaves now.
    Last edited by Con2K; 15-06-2011 at 12:48.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Con2K View Post
    Anot
    Cheers for looking. Fingers crossed it behaves now.
    It wont

So far mine has had

New Turbo
    New Injectors
    New Clutch
    New DMF
    New Starter motor
    New rear shocks/spring (converted it to standard suspension as the self leveling shocks are stupid money)

Great car when it works but unfortunalty thats not very often

Nice spec though but beware of potholes, the wheels are made of cheese

As its an Essex car it probably spend the first years of it life in the car park at work
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    lol - cheers for the confidence haha.

Well we were prepared for the common faults and TBH I know enough about them and people who can help out parts wise when the worst happens. As you say, and from viewing others with them, it will happen, but no idea when. I was looking at other makes but didnt know them as well as these so we'll see what is first to crop up. With Pugs and volvo's etc it was a minefield as I'd never owned one and couldnt easily get discounted parts.

We really wanted what u have in your sig. E39 Faclift 530D sport Touring, but the car will get a fair few things thrown in the back and I didnt want to ruin a clean tidy BMW at double the price. As this is a fiesta replacement at the moment I didnt want to spend big money on it's replacement. So this is sort of Damage limitation as it's value will drop, but it wasnt as expensive to begin with. TBH when the heavier work on my projects is out of the way I still seeing myself going for a 530D Sport Touring that wont get knakcered from dirty heavy and sharpe parts.

Yeah it was essex registered, I was told by a friend that all the manager cars are registered in Essex rather than the dealership that gets them in doing it so it wont have been a dealer demo car for the public as they tend to be registered at the dealership.

It's early days anyway (very, havent even had it 24hrs lol), but I'll certainly keep everyone updated with any faults that come up.

Rides
    Yer the E39 is on a different level but as you said it would be a shame to ruin one Likewise we will use our Mondeo to do trips to the dump and B&Q and use the E39 to act posh

You get a lot of car for the money though and to be honest with all thats been replaced on ours we might as well just run it into the ground as its worth fook all

I see you have the nasty shiny steering wheel I would try and change it for a Ghia one

oh and get the chrome load strip that goes on the top of the rear bumper, finishes it off nicely (was standard on the titanium)
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Yeah I've already rang a mate for ford new prices on the chrome strip (to protect the bumper somewhat) and for gen frod boot liners, but the liners seem readily available on ebay. Cant find any chrome strips yet. Top of the list really after the service and firmware update.

Much the same opinion with my fiesta tbh. It owes me very little so thought I'd keep it for years, but now it's just sat in the drive and we dont use it and have no need to anymore. Still have other cars that can do everything it can or more.

I wouldn't have the Touring aswell as the Ghia x tbh. But instead of. The steering wheel is shiney but I've sorta grown to like it. Kinda like the wood. Would prefer the dark wood or silver stuff but just because it's not my ideal finish, doesnt mean it doesnt match the car.

When the time comes to start replacing mechanical parts, I still think, as you do, once they are replaced it's a perfectly servicable, comfortable and well spec'd car, we may as well make use of it.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Con your right that does look like a lot of car for the money I'm sure you'll be going all ocd on this one shortly
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    You know me lol. Will never be perfect but can be a tad tidier. Much like the sx mate. Just keep it looking cared for day to day as I want it to continue to be comfortable for us. After driving a Mk2 lx £400 shed I borrowed I'm glad I didnt go down that route of really cheap workhorse/tow car.

Rides
    For those interested, I took the car to a very friendly Ford Service Centre and had a Major service on the car and a general check over be a mate who knows the cars well. All filters, Aux belts and all fluids (including brake fluid) now changed. Got some tyres fitted for my trailer and some other stuff. I'm still loving the HUGE load space I now have. (Back seats down admittedly). Replaced a few fuses, Fitted new untarnished Number Plates and discovered the glovebox light doesnt work. Changed bulb, still nothing, didnt investigate further today. Also rear washer pump doesnt work. Havent even looked at it. Might be a blockage, plug, fuse or the pump. No idea yet. Found a Mk4 Mondeo Firmware update for the sat nav. Stated on the box it does not support pre 2008 map updates. FAIL.

Next service/MOT the car would benefit from new discs/pads front/rear and a full set of tyres. Found a tiny hole on the downpipe just before the flexi section. Can weld it up in situ next time. Easy to access.

There were a few issues that needed sorting besides a decent service:

All done, or planned to be done.

Done:
    Squeaky brake pedal - Lubed back or servo.
    Detachable tow bar didnt lock in. Just needed some pursuation to loosen up the mechanism with a rubber mallet. Had never been used. Works fine now, just a tad stiff but doable by hand.
    New style car 13pin to trailer 7pin electrics adapter purchased.
    Wheels balanced, drives a lot better, wheels still need a basic refurb.

Needs doing:
    Left lock has a clunk. Turned out to be top strut bearing. New one ordered.
    Sat Nav update (Being downloaded now)
    New wipers
    Repair/replace rear screen washer.
    Small hole in downpipe.
    Discs, Pads and Tyres for next service/MOT.
    Detail

Next Big Tasks - First tow(should be interesting to see how it pulls), then a Basic Detail.

Rides
    Will probably need a rear caliper or handbrake cable for the MoT. They seem to be comsumables

Mine needs a backbox, that looks like fun to change
    Mark is right.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Conor I've given his some thought and i've decided that you should of bought a landrover
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Will probably need a rear caliper or handbrake cable for the MoT. They seem to be comsumables

Mine needs a backbox, that looks like fun to change
    Handbrake cables and calipers seem OK but my mate at Ford said the same, expect them to go in the future. All seems OK at the moment.

Mine has had a replacement exhaust fitted. Not genuine but is new. The OEM downpipe has a hole just before the flexi. Will just weld it up. Will do for now.

Chris, a landy? It did cross my mind but after driving Marlays County edition it put me off. Too much money for not enough comforts for me lol. For the type of use it would have that is. I'm sure if I was heading off road more it would be a perfect addition to the family!

Cheers again for your help the other day:

Oh and it did tow for me. Fixed the broken detachable towbar issue. The latch that held the spring loaded pin sheared so the ball/neck just slid out. Thankfully was still in the driveway. Odd design. But even better than standard now. Repaied the standard latch and added a second backup safety lock to keep it in place. Double the safety to stop it coming undone but still retains the removable option.

Last edited by Con2K; 29-06-2011 at 11:32.