Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo won't boost above 1 bar

Rides

Turbo won't boost above 1 bar

Ok, so heres the spec -

S14a, blacktop sr20det. Manual converted plus manual ecu with Horsham stage 1a map. Horsham manifold, full mani-back exhaust, Walbro pump, Blitz SBCiD, Forge actuator, Synapse recirc valve, FMIC, Blitz filter, EGR and carbon can removed. Turbo is standard.

Heres whats happened -

After manual conversion, stuck the boost controller on standard car at 0.7 bar with a bit of gain. All seemed ok - just leaky on the standard pipework. Then put everything you see above on the car. This included all new gaskets from head to back-box. Tried to run to 1.1 - 1.2 bar, but wouldn't go past 0.9. Felt mega fast and came on boost really quick, but even with the boost controller cranked up to full, still 0.9 bar. You could see on the boost controller screen that it wasn't even opening the solenoid at this point.

From previous experience, got the boost leak testing kit out. First was a pinhole in a weld on the coldpipe - sealed that. But the major leak was the whole EGR system. Binned the whole thing and made up a blanking plate to fit - did away with the carbon can whilst I was at it. Re-tested it up to 1.5 bar and all seemed tight - could only hear the pressure creeping round the valves and out the filler cap - took over 30 seconds to drop to 0.4 bar.

Took the car out - feels faster, and spools up even quicker - but despite sorting all the leaks it still won't boost over 1 bar. I even unplugged the actuator altogether - and it runs exactly the same.

My thoughts -

I didn't include the compressor and intake pipe in the boost leak test because I wanted to ensure the seat of my recirc valve wasn't leaking. Obviously if the intake is also pressurised then you wouldn't know if it was leaking or not. Therefore I don't know for sure that the compressor isn't cracked.

I need to double check the compressor elbow gasket - as its the only boosted gasket not included in the test.

When I first fitted the actuator, it didn't quite hold the wastegate shut. I put two washers on each bolt and that had it shut tight - but I should double check this is still the case.

I've read cracking of the turbine housing round the wastegate is common on sr20 turbos - is this true? After I've checked the above, turbos gonna have to come off again

Apologies for the mega post - any help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Rides
    Waste gate! Exactly the same story as mine! They have a pin which move to open it, when this pin wears the waste gate won't shut properly! This is what I have been told u can buy a kit to sort it!

Rides
    did you remove the brass restrictors from the rubber hoses before fitting the boost controller?

also, your actuator need to be a hole and a half towards the front of the car then pull it over the wastegate lever pin this should give around 0.7-0.8bar of boost

Rides
    Thanks guys - process of elimination is sort of pointing at the wastegate, or at least that side of the turbo.

Fordy, there's no standard piping left, all gone - so defo no restrictors. Also I did the pull the actuator arm over the wastegate lever pin as you described, and it runs around 0.7 bar off the actuactor.

Do you guys reckon a crack in the turbine or wear to the wastegate hinge pin will be obvious enough when I take the turbo off? Or should I just go straight for a recon turbo? All I'm thinking is, the turbo itself (blades, bearings etc) is in really good condition; If its just the wastegate thats knackered, I suppose I could get it welded up and go external wastegate... Always fancied a piston actuated wastegate to match my recirc valve

Thanks again guys, any further info or opinions is much appreciated

Rides
    boost leak

Rides
    A cracked exhaust housing won't affect it unless the cracks are really big - most of the crack at some point

If it's only boosting up to 0.9bar with the actuator disconnected then either the arm is too long or it's old and knackered and not staying shut properly. Or you still have a boost leak.

Rides
    driftk1ng - good effort mate, you're loads of help if you read the first post you will see the car has been fully boost tested - its tight as sh*t - perhaps you are suggesting the turbo compressor itself is cracked and leaking boost?

voodoo_melon - thanks for the info - I did think a crack in the wastegate housing would have to be pretty big to make much difference. However, the actuator is brand new, and was holding the wastegate shut proper tight when I bolted it on - I will double check, but I'm pretty sure the actuator itself is not the problem.

Its still looking like the wastegate may be worn/damaged, or the compressor or turbine is indeed cracked. Either way I'm gonna have to whip the turbo off to have a look unless anyone else can think of something I've missed?

Thanks guys

Rides
    have you tried it without the actuator feed connected? it should boost to high heaven with a feed to then actuator

Rides
    yeah man, if i turn the boost controller up until it won't boost any more, then disconnect the actuator, it runs exactly the same. I see you've read the other thread and mentioned the wastegate arm. I've just gone outside and checked, and all appears to be ok with the actuator, and the wastegate. When I tug on the arm, it FEELS like its shutting fully, with plenty of load as well - unless there is something actually stuck in the wastegate, I don't think thats the problem. I'm proper gutted, as the info in the other thread was so promising. Saying that, I've not taken it out since fiddling with the whole assembly - can't be arsed waking next door up at this time - I'll see what its like in the morning and inform both threads.

Any more ideas are much appreciated, really don't want to take the turbo off again and waste all the new gaskets

Rides
    you can reuse the gaskets fella so dont worry about that

Rides
    I've always been of the 'use-em-once' school - especially with the mani to head gasket... so they'll be ok considering they've only been on 10 weeks or so? that would certainly soften the blow

Right, the car is defo no different after messing with the actuator and wastegate. I've informed the other thread and put a link back to here just in case anyone has any bright ideas. My plans now are to do another boost test, but from the AFM so to include the compressor, and the compressor elbow gasket. Assuming that doesn'r reveal anything, I'll whip the turbo off this weekend - I'm just hoping its something obvious, if not easy to fix.

Rides
    As for the gaskets, I've recently re-used a 78k manifold-head and turbo-elbow gaskets on my 14a and they're absolutely fine. If they're in good nick then there's no reason to replace them imo.

Also, definitely include the turbo in the compression test. I'm not sure how well the elephant trunk pipe will hold up to the pressure, but you definitely need to do the compressor housing. I've had a loose housing before that was causing a big boost leak that too ages to find - only discovered it once I took the turbo off.

Rides
    Nice one for the info, I'll see how the gaskets look but it sounds like they should be ok. It would be nice if I could undo the four mani-turbo bolts and drop the turbo, elbow and downpipe out the bottom of the car in one piece - but I don't reckon I can get to the rear two bolts. Has anyone managed to do this? FYI its a Horsham manifold.

Thats interesting about the loose housing - when you say 'loose', could you have felt it was loose holding the turbo in your hand? Only it was off just recently, and all looked and felt solid, including the wastegate mechanism...
    Last edited by snippyt; 15-06-2011 at 09:30.

Rides
    I don't reckon there'd be enough room to drop it out the bottom I also reckon you'd get the turbo-manifold nuts done up tighter on a bench rather than with it in the car

Rides
    I'm pretty sure the turbo on its own will go in from the bottom up... but you're totally right, better to reassamble it all properly on a bench. I'm trying to save time where there isn't any to save. I've done the 14a full gasket change quite a few times - and always done it properly - actually getting 'quick' at it now

Thanks again - I'll let you know what I find...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by snippyt View Post
    Thats interesting about the loose housing - when you say 'loose', could you have felt it was loose holding the turbo in your hand? Only it was off just recently, and all looked and felt solid, including the wastegate mechanism...
    Apologies, added the above edit after you'd replied - do you recall how obvious the loose housing was once the turbo was off the car? Cheers

Rides
    You could see light through it Also blocking up the outlet and blowing in the inlet it held no pressure at all. That was the last time I paid someone else to do a job on a car, there was only one bracket (out of three) holding the housing on Killed my 25k T28

Didn't pick it up with a pressure test as I was blocking it from the turbo outlet to the throttle As soon as the turbo was off I saw the problem.

Rides
    man thats crazy - if I do have the same problem, I'm sure mine isn't that bad... the whole unit was nice and solid when I put it on the car - but you never know...

Rides
    thought you boost leak tested?, you should seal the whole system up to the throttle body and get it to hold pressure. becareful of the standard inlet trunking it may explode if you put alot of pressure in like 1.5-2 bar It should handle 1 bar fine tho

other thing is it still could be an weak spring in the actuator letting the gate open....even with no feed connected to it it's the spring that should hold it shut

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by snippyt View Post
    Ok, so heres the spec -
    I didn't include the compressor and intake pipe in the boost leak test because I wanted to ensure the seat of my recirc valve wasn't leaking. Obviously if the intake is also pressurised then you wouldn't know if it was leaking or not. Therefore I don't know for sure that the compressor isn't cracked.

I need to double check the compressor elbow gasket - as its the only boosted gasket not included in the test.

When I first fitted the actuator, it didn't quite hold the wastegate shut. I put two washers on each bolt and that had it shut tight - but I should double check this is still the case.
    As above - I was convinced it was the recirc seat leaking - I excluded the intake pipe and the compressor in order to test it. I know now that was stupid - I'll be retesting it properly later.

Also see above about the actuator - I've already added washers for more preload - as far as I can see and feel, its holding the wastegate shut damn tight. Plus it is brand new... famous last words