Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a movie

Rides
    Last film I watched was The Town. I really enjoyed it, a great heist film. I really thought I would dislike it as earlier films starring Ben Affleck were utter sh1t and I just thought he was a crap actor. Seems to be into more serious stuff these days though. The heist scenes were great as was the car chase.

Black Swan is a great film too, even if it is about a ballet dancer

Rides
    Another vote here for " The Town "

How did this film get under the Radar one of the best films i have seen this year

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by wokeye View Post
    Last film I watched was The Town. I really enjoyed it, a great heist film. I really thought I would dislike it as earlier films starring Ben Affleck were utter sh1t and I just thought he was a crap actor. Seems to be into more serious stuff these days though. The heist scenes were great as was the car chase.

Black Swan is a great film too, even if it is about a ballet dancer
    Ben Affleck isnt a fantastic actor, but didnt you enjoy Dogma, that was a pretty good film

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamatayan View Post
    Ben Affleck isnt a fantastic actor, but didnt you enjoy Dogma, that was a pretty good film
    No I have never seen that. I was just basing my opinion on Pearl Harbour and Armageddon which were both sh1t IMHO. I will try Dogma though. He is actually fairly good in in The Town.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by wokeye View Post
    Pearl Harbour and Armageddon
    I can see your point there. I think its a factor that Michael Bay did the film, all that Pro-American BS and his signature slow-mo pan. Does my head in

Rides
    just watched Unthinkable based on this thread........very good

Rides
    Melancholia is fantastic but by God it's a miserable film - do NOT watch it if you're feeling a bit 'down in the dumps' .

Other stuff I've bought and watched recently and can highly recommend :-

The Guard - absolutely brilliant. Brendan Gleeson is absolutely superb and the humour is spot on (it's not slapstick, let's put it that way).
    Drive - bloody hell, I wish I'd seen this at the cinema. It's a slow-paced film that's as interested in 'style' as it is plot (it could almost have been made by Michael Mann) and the scene in the lift is a bit gruesome, but I was absolutely rivetted to the sofa for the whole film.
    Kill List - I've posted about this before but it really does deserve more attention. A bloody good British film .
    Troll Hunter - I'm not a massive fan of 'found footage' films but you very quickly forget that's what you're watching. Very funny in places and room shaking if you have a decent sub-woofer. Oh, it's in foreign so avoid if you don't like words on the screen .
    The Skin I Live In - Another foreign film and one that I can't say much about without giving anything away. All I will say is that the last third of the film had me sitting thinking "What the fudging fudge? ". Well worth a watch .

Rides
    Drive is awesome!!

I saw V For Vendetta for the first time yesterday. WOW, one of the best films I have ever seen, just fantastic!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    The Skin I Live In - Another foreign film and one that I can't say much about without giving anything away. All I will say is that the last third of the film had me sitting thinking "What the fudging fudge? ". Well worth a watch .
    Sounds right up my street. I'll give that a watch in the week me thinks.

Rides
    I watched the Devils backbone a couple weeks ago and bloody loved it. Its the film Del Toro made before Pans Labrynth.

Rides
    Drive is incredible all right.

I watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes last night. Wasn't expecting much but it was really, really good.

Also, Win Win, starring Paul Giamatti. Dark comedy/drama type thing. Weird but entertaining.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Falco View Post
    Drive is incredible all right.

I watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes last night. Wasn't expecting much but it was really, really good.

Also, Win Win, starring Paul Giamatti. Dark comedy/drama type thing. Weird but entertaining.
    ROTPOTA is superb . Not heard of Win Win, but knowing it's got Paul Giamatti and is a dark comedy, I'll have to check it out (He is superb in Sideways, one of my favourite films)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    I watched the Devils backbone a couple weeks ago and bloody loved it. Its the film Del Toro made before Pans Labrynth.
    Kronos was pretty good, too.

Rides
    I saw Drive a couple of weeks ago and thought it was very good. I even went out and bought it on dvd the following weekend, which I never do.

Rides
    I Like Pan's Labarynth, my sone found it on my media box and he keeps watching it.

Rides
    just watched Frontiers a french horror - good atmosperic horror in the 'wrong turn' genre

but whoever did the subtitles must have been a 11 year old or they used google translate, they are really poor
    Last edited by sparkyhx; 14-02-2012 at 20:21.

Rides
    ROTPOTA is superb . Not heard of Win Win, but knowing it's got Paul Giamatti and is a dark comedy, I'll have to check it out (He is superb in Sideways, one of my favourite films)
    You'll really enjoy it then Cluck. It actually really reminded me of Sideways (have it on DVD, it's class!)

Also, back to the horror genre, I saw a subtitled french movie a while back about a couple (artists/teachers I think) that move into a big house in the french countryside and they basically invaded by a load of little scumbags. Anyone here see it and know what it's called? I'd love to find it again. Really good and quite unsettling too.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotaro View Post
    Get Tucker and Dale vs Evil
    Great film, loved it! Not your usual horror/comedy!

Diary of the dead - low budget blair witch style zombie film (Not a bad watch)
    La Horde - French zombie film - dawn of the dead style
    Planet Terror - Just an awesome film!

If you fancy some B Movies & random stuff:
    Poultryguist: Night of the chicken dead
    Killer Klowns from out of space
    Rubber
    Hobo with a shotgun

I watched Death Sentence again tonight, brilliant film

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Falco View Post
    You'll really enjoy it then Cluck. It actually really reminded me of Sideways (have it on DVD, it's class!)

Also, back to the horror genre, I saw a subtitled french movie a while back about a couple (artists/teachers I think) that move into a big house in the french countryside and they basically invaded by a load of little scumbags. Anyone here see it and know what it's called? I'd love to find it again. Really good and quite unsettling too.
    That's "Ils" or "Them" to give it the UK title. Bloody excellent film . I'll get Win Win when I do my next Bluray and DVD order .

I saw Frontiers, mentioned by sparkyhx, a while back and wasn't that impressed. Same goes for Martyrs (although that was seriously unpleasant in places, with the repeated beatings of the main protagonist ), neither film really got under my skin anywhere near to the degree that "Ils", "Hidden" and "Kill List" did. Those three films still stick in my mind and considering how many films I watch, and how long ago I watched two of them, that's no mean feat. But horses for courses, I'd heard both Frontiers and Martyrs were great films but they both left me feeling a bit "Meh" .

Rides
    That's "Ils" or "Them" to give it the UK title. Bloody excellent film
    Excellent, that's the one all right. Thank's man, I'll be ordering that!

Also, that's just reminded me of another properly creepy horror, "They" by Wes Craven (2002). Now bear in mind, It was a few years ago and I can't remember the whole thing so it may not be as great as I remember. I do remember being properly freaked out at the time, and thinking that it was the first horror I'd seen in ages that I found properly scary.

Must download it and give it another watch myself actually.