Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: #FULL-ATTACK; Supercharged 'U Wot m8' V8 Kouki s14... 'tis went KABOOOMMMM!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive "is a 14 year old" Littlechild View Post

R33 GTR shafts have fitted up (had to use R32 GTR hubs too) BUTTTT personally I'm not happy as they didn't fit 'naturally' and putted up when doing the bolts up.
    What do you mean?

Mine seemed to fit perfect, not sure if ride height had anything to do with it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by immy21 View Post
    What do you mean?

Mine seemed to fit perfect, not sure if ride height had anything to do with it.
    Mine seem too short!!?

Defo R33 shafts too (got r32 shafts here I can compare with)

I should check the r32 and r33 output shafts ain't different lengths...

But yeah, could be geos.. They do funny things and make everything 10x more of a PITA!!

Rides
    I could literally just pop them into place then let go with my car in the air, they would stay put as I put the bolts through. The bolts would run out of threads hence the washers.

Drivers side, couldn't measure the other side as the exhaust is in the way.

Rides
    Cheers dude, ill have to get it checked.

Strange one you are using washers, was that before the shank of the bolts bottomed out as the shafts are thread all the way through ?

Rides
    The unthreaded part of the bolt would reach the threaded part of the shafts. This is how far the bolt would go before it went tight, so stuck 2 normal washers and 1 spring washer in.

Rides
    Got the wrong bolts maybe? As mine went in fine.

So, GTR rear end got fitted up.

Car hasn't moved from unit since Anglesey. Does it show?

Then onto sorting smoke on start up.. Which if you was there at Anglesey I'm sure would of witnessed it!!

Done some research, and it pointed to the rear cover on intake... PCV.

So, pulled the intake off;

Had fresh oil in it, again a sign of rear cover.. Causes a strong vacuum or something and draws oil up into the intake... Then when you turn the engine off leaks down into the bores.. So when you fire it up that's where the smoke comes from, that oil burning..

So removed it.. And broke it down.

At first glance I thought it was fine so started to worry it was something more serious

Then had a closer look...

Arr. that will be it then!!

Noticed some insulation or something under the intake, never heard of it before.. Wasn't the same on my old M60, Google images don't come with anything too... Strange.

Usual:

Anyway, it was all nasty so pulled it all out.. Maybe there to retain heat.. Economical thing? Or sound deading? I dunno; but for what I use it for cant see it being important!

This gave me a chance to inspect the pan valley gasket, usual spot for coolant leaks... Looked to of been weeping but nothing serious (never had any puddles under the car anyhow..) for now have left it as its water pump off job. Ill keep an eye on it for now and do a strip down over winter months, along with replacing the knock sensors (water pump off job again!!) as they was brittle but never pulled a ECU code.. So ill just keep an eye on it for now

Put it all back together checking more then once the inlet gaskets was seated right before bringing it down.

Took it for a test drive, all was fine.

Then took it for a frash.. Switched off.. Left car to sit.. Started it up.. No smoke .. Fanx feck for'dat.
    Last edited by Clive; 03-08-2013 at 16:10.

Rides
    Oh and also immy..

R33 GTR output shafts are defo larger

Rides

These are the fans I had before, Sunset fitted them. IIRC they was from a ford Mondeo.

:
    been speaking to clive, he put me onto this pic

does anyone know what model of mondeo these are from? clive said they are from a new style with aircon

anyone got an exact model type and year?

I need these exact fans for my build

cheers.

Rides
    So, today the car went to its new owner

Every grey cloud has a silver lining...I didnt have to break it, it's lived on to be enjoyed much like I have

A lot of people asking why I sold it, well I've went for a different route, bit of retro jap tin to compete in the RDC, it's going to be mega fun with great drivers, bags of seat time and banter.. Which is drifting summed up for me.

I'll waffle on for a bit more to express I actually sat there watching a video of it from Anglesey grip weekend, pembrey GP and lydden drift days thinking... Dame the car is awesome.

But, I got bored of it. I wanted to supercharge it to do something new, liven it up. Bring the buzz back.

The car hasn't changed for near on 2 years... Apart from clutch upgrade, GTR diff upgrade. I haven't even changed the alignment, as in my mind- had it dialed from day one.

Reason the charger didn't happen goes back to the original idea behind the v8 s14 was to keep it cheap, simple and reliable (I've spent **** all on it really, anything I have, nearly got back in selling it... Due to me not changing or replacing bits every drift day, careful eye when purchasing...just part worn tyres.. And fuel .. Lots of them ha) this was to gain a lot of seat time and experience, where I wanted to spend my money- enjoying the car.

A bit more about the replacement car. It's a mental SR86 such a hoot to drive, it stuck out to me when I saw it listed. On paper looked a perfect match, as It's near on my s14 chassis wise, but shorter wheel base and some 250kg lighter. Makes for a EXTREMELY fun car to drive. It's a lot harder to drive IMO (don't look it in video I know... I'm very relaxed behind a wheel!), but more rewarding.

I tested it for about 20 minutes at pod and just felt right, fast, snappy but steers well. In car video was after about 10 minutes of being in the seat. On new budget haita 195/45 r16 @34psi

The remember your roots in the title is pod, as much as it's bumpy and just a mere coned tracked, can still be great fun and relaxed. It's where drifting started for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rides
    Unloved 80' car. Love the obstinance of it.

Rides
    Ah so you're the one that bought that. Thats a mental 86.

Rides
    looks like a hell of a lot of fun!

Out of interest, whats the wheelbase compared to s14?

Rides

#FULL-ATTACK; Supercharged 'U Wot m8' V8 Kouki s14... 'tis went KABOOOMMMM!

Cheers guys, a lot of people also saying bought not built. I don't see many machining and fabing bits?

Buys parts of internet
    Gets a man bolt them on his car

Cost double the amount... And double the time!?

I've only paced it out, but about 10"... Which don't sound a lot! Engine is right back in the bay too. I really would like to get it on some scales and see how balanced it is on paper

I've gone a head and booked driftland on the 12/13th for 1st round of RDC!

Rides
    I've only paced it out, but about 10"... Which don't sound a lot! Engine is right back in the bay too. I really would like to get it on some scales and see how balanced it is on paper

Interesting! Reason i asked is I'm putting S14 running gear into a nova saloon which I imagine would be similar wheelbase to the 86. I've not had to take that much out of the standard prop. Good to get an idea of how it might behave!

Rides
    it always makes me laugh when people slate others for just buying a car thats been done already. 99% of the time they have no idea whatsoever how things go together, they as you say just nail bolt on parts to there car and generally not even by themselves. utter morons to be frank.

looks fun inside, as i said on FB im still not sure why but whatever makes you happy. and this looks like a fun maker. or a bank breaker.........

Rides
    We all know it's going to be a bank and heart breaker...

It's old jap tin with a tampered SR

Rides
    Awesome car mate, and looks bloody good fun to drive too!

Thanks for posting the vid - Will probably watch that a few more times i'm sure!