Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Always check your nuts

Head SXOC Security and small penis department TheBigShow's Avatar
    Rides
    to be honest, as a driver you should perform a cehck before every drive.

so everytime you you drive your car you should check your nuts.

Rides
    1 more point....

A steel nut on a steel stud wont corrode and get stuck.

Due to simple physics, an Aluminium one will. Urgo, steel > aluminium for wheel nuts.

I complain about alloy nuts because here at work we have to try and get the damned things off people's cars And because I care about the safety of customers.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by byebyegti View Post
    so everytime you you drive your car you should check your nuts.
    Are you talking about wheel nuts here?

Rides
    Sigh. I give up. I am not going to sit and try and prove to people that either is better when I have said that I feel neither is.

Aluminium won't corrode onto Steel without water. And while I freely admit that it's unfair and unrealistic to expect someone to dry their wheel nuts each time they use them, it is simply another byproduct of the type of nut.

It's like tuning a car. Tune it, but expect to have to do more maintenance.

Run Aluminium nuts, but don't treat them as fit and forget.

Rides
    They dont need actual water, just humidity is enough I am talking from experience of the damned things here!

Lightweight Alloy Wheels Rarerims.co.uk's Avatar
    Rides
    I was of the same opinion as piman, I put it all down to operator error, until the I came to remove the 20 correctly torque aluminium nuts i'd fitted to my high speed racing honda, and snapped 5 of them due to them being corroded onto the studs.

I think Piman hasnt experienced the 'joys' off ally nuts, simply because they havnt been left on long enough :P

Imho, the disimilar metals corroding, and making them a nightmare to remove, is reason enough not to buy the bloody things, without even thinking about the fact that you cant torque them up as tightly as a steel nuts, which IMHO is ridiculous.

We've had soo many nightmares with customers having to have their wheel nuts drilled, hammered, and cut off, and every time the culpit is an ally nut.

Rides
    I'm genuinely surprised that you're going to such great lengths to defend something you run on your track car purely for the aesthetic qualities. If you ever plan to have a couple of sets of wheels for the track, all that triple-checking, torqueing up, carrying a torque wrench around with you is going to become a massive pain in the dick for something that looks marginally better, when all you want to do is quickly change wheels around, or take a wheel off to check something or whatever and get back out on track.

It just seems to me that it creates a whole lot of extra hassle and uncertainty for minimal return.

This is like the stretched tyre thread in a parallel universe

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chavbo View Post
    I'm genuinely surprised that you're going to such great lengths to defend something you run on your track car purely for the aesthetic qualities. If you ever plan to have a couple of sets of wheels for the track, all that triple-checking, torqueing up, carrying a torque wrench around with you is going to become a massive pain in the dick for something that looks marginally better, when all you want to do is quickly change wheels around, or take a wheel off to check something or whatever and get back out on track.

It just seems to me that it creates a whole lot of extra hassle and uncertainty for minimal return.

This is like the stretched tyre thread in a parallel universe
    Exactly, show car, yer ok you can expect people to be a bit whorey about this sort of thing but a fooking track slag I would be even more adamant on using steels due to the constant abuse the wheels will go through

Are you going to do a lap then come in and check them again
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    My car isn't a track slag. It's a track car yes but the finish is a very high quality and I wanted that finishing touch.

I intend to run the nuts because I like how they look, in the same way I run my bodykit: because I like the way it looks. And when I do pop it into a show, they'll look ace.

Yes I could swap them round, but I like them and I have no reason to doubt them guys.
    Last edited by piman2k; 06-06-2011 at 17:27.

Rides
    Piman you lifestyler

Rides
    How? Because I built a car, focused on it's objective, but refused to fake that I didn't care what it looked like as long as it went fast?

Errrr, no

Rides

Rides
    Hook, line and sinker.

Rides
    Garyfullstop, circa 18:26

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    And when I do pop it into a show, they'll look ace.
    Yer those steel nuts are sooooooo ugly

Lets face it, no fooker will notice

I hope you never have a wheel come off as its fooking scary and i can only imagine how much worse it is at speeds reached on a race track but if the worst does happen this thread is going to rip off your arm and beat you to death with it Ryan
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Huh Hum...

Quote Originally Posted by piman2k
    Let's also just note, so it doesn't come back to haunt me, that I will be regularly checking my wheel nuts when I use my track car. And I'll honestly feedback how they are. If they start to show signs of corrosion or shredding then I'll switch out to Steel. I won't pretend they're the bees knees if they're not. They're an aesthetic thing.
    Thankyou please, covered that base much earlier than you! But thanks for the sentiment
    Last edited by piman2k; 06-06-2011 at 18:03.

Rides
    Without fueling the fire for either side, user error is a major factor in wheel nuts failing to hold. Too many people over-tighten the nuts (either steel or ally) and are suprised when the stretched thread fails. I took my van to a fast-fit tyre place a couple of weeks ago and they fitted a pair of tyres, the fitter did the nuts up (probably to 200NM) and then got the foreman to check the tightness with a torque wrench set to 110. Pure comedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    a) that means you need a torque wrench every time you do a wheel nut
    Unless you are used to weilding a spanner and can fairly accurately judge the correct torque, then yes, you should always use a torque wrench.

Rides
    Damn, is this argument still going?

The way I see it:

Alloy

Pros = Arguably look nicer, a minuscule amount lighter.

Cons = Need constant checking to see they are not working loose, may corrode to the stud, Banned in most motorsports, may fall off leading to your wheel falling off...NOT GOOD! (but your three wheeled wagon will look the tits upside down in a ditch with its bling wheel nuts )

Steel

Pros = Virtually maintenance free, won't corrode on, much more resistant to abuse, cheaper, ok for use in motorsport, much less likely to fall off.

Cons = Minuscule amount heavier, arguably not as good looking.

So we can conclude, steel has less cons than alloy, so for something a safety critical as your wheels staying on, I'd suggest sticking to Sheffield's finest

Rides
    We're not trying to conclude anything Jem

I'm merely pointing out that they're not universally shit because of what they are, that there are different types and they can't be tarred with a broad brush.

Rides
    Feel bad for selling my alloy ones now. Do i get them back before the new owners dies

Alloy ones would be safer if people had wheels that sit on the hub.