Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Fast are Imprezas?

Rides

Cool How Fast are Imprezas?

Went into town at lunchtime, on my way back I was follwing a W reg Impreza, he saw me sitting on his arse (he was doing 45 in a 60 limit) so he booted it. He was faster round corners but couldn't pull away from me in a straight line.

------------------
    Red 1995/S14
    K&N

Rides

I was following one on Friday. He pulled away slightly up to 90mph but after that I started to reel him in. (Actually, officer we didn't go above 35 at any time )

Round the corners though there was no doubt he had the more stable handling car.

When we hit some traffic lights I pulled up next to him. He was grinning like a cat but his missus looked as white as a sheet

------------------
    JB
    '00 Emerald S14 auto
    to XR2s, 3s, lowered Saxo VTRs,
    crapped out Cavaliers and ALL BMWs

Administrator
    Rides

Wink

Not that fast

------------------

Dave Refault
    Owner - Nissan200sx Web
    S13 - Mild Mods.
    SXOC Administrator
    Please do not send Private Messages to me.
    Contact an appropriate member of SXOC staff.

Rides

depends on the model though.. some will catch you out :O

the P1 and 22B are more of a challenge...

------------------
    UK 92 300ZX TT White
    Mongoose K&N AVCR
    KYB Eibach

Rides

Cool

It was only the Standard Impreza Turbo but it had a nice exhaust note, not as refined as the S14.

Ugly car though!!!

------------------
    Red 1995/S14
    K&N

Rides

Oh dear... This reminds me of something my dad said when I first bought my S13.

I gave him my keys for a test drive. When he came back he said he was quite surprised he could keep up with an Impreza he was racing.

Thinking this was unlikely, I just laughed and took my keys back.

Wait til I speak to him next...

Rides

i agree standard english cars and early wrx's
    just dont seem to cut it anymore, i've raced a few and they dont seen to live up to the hipe.

but,

as already mentioned be carefull, some are mental straight from the factory, my mate has a STI type RA (lightweight, close ratio box etc.) and it pulls like a train in every gear.

to quick for me in my virtually standard s13, good fun trying all the same!

Rides

Hopefully not too quick. Me and a mate are going to Brands Hatch on the 9th July. He's got a WRX. Doubt I'll be able to keep up but we'll see... Should be at about 230bhp by then... Is there any hope?

------------------

Dirty S13 with a few mods
    200bhp ish with suspension and brake mods for trackdays

Cool

Just to play Devil's Advocate lads, have any of you actually driven an Impreza?

I've got a standard S13 which I find impressively quick. However, after sampling a mate's standard UK Impreza Turbo the Scoob was noticably quicker to accelerate, and as far as corners were concerned, well I'm afraid you wouldn't see which way it went.

Before this degenerates into a Max Muppet "Car A rocks, Car B is ****e" argument, bear in mind the major factor here is driver skill. I have overtaken Imprezas and Elises in the wet at trackdays in my mildly-modified VW Scirocco, purely because the other cars were being driven nowhere near their limits.

Now, I can't vouch for S14s, and modified 200SXs, now that's another matter...

ST

Rides

I have had a go with a few Scooby's. From a set of lights I got wasted through 1st and half way through 2nd by a std one, but by 70 in 3rd I was coming past him at a decent rate. Thing is you never know what they are. Well I dont

My mate has a WRX and according to a website he found where you put ur engine no. in and it tells you the full spec of your car, he has 260Bhp.

The only difference between his and mine is that his pulls strong all the way to the redline where my little T25 runs out of steam.

I would be very suprised if a well modded S13 with a T3 did not beat anything up to a full 280 brake WRX/STi.

As for handling, on a track day I can't see the 4wd making much of a difference against a sorted S13.

Nat.

--------------
    S13, 91, mild mods, 181@wheels at 13Psi.

Rides

According to Steve(Carter100), my time at Santa Pod was quicker than any of the times posted by Scoobies,
    And before you ask NO - they weren't all 1.6 GL boggo standard Mr and Mrs family cars either!

------------------
    Matt
    '92 S13
    1/4 mile mad!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAS View Post
    I thought Matt_S invented SXOC
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI View Post
    Matt_S is the SXOC. They're the same entity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty2Fatty View Post
    Some say that he remembers when the whole planet was just a field & that his body is held together with cable ties and duct tape, all we know is, he's Matt_S

Rides

The guy Im going to be doing the trackday hasn't done one before and I've done quite a few - so I hope I'll be a bit of a better driver. Also his is 4wd (obvioulsy) so more of the 260bhp will be wasted and I usually strip my car out, rear seats, spare wheel etc, about 50-60kgs lights than std. I may have a chance...

I'll post the results later... just hope its dry on the day.

davidw

Having owned Dave's S13 200SX for 3 years and now a MY00 Impreza Turbo I guess I'm quailified to answer this question.

I have no doubt that a standard UK Scooby is considerably faster than a standard S13 200SX (but not as much fun in the wet!)

Rides

The Impreza should be faster than an modern Impreza, there's a few years difference in development.

I'd be interested to know what the speed difference was between the standard S13 & S14? Does anyone have figures on this?

I used to have an S13 an the turbo span up faster but ran out of puff, it also seemed to have less torque?

------------------
    Red 1995/S14
    K&N

Administrator
    Rides

Smile

I was just sitting here chuckling to myself. Its not every owner of a car that gets to speak to TWO of the previous owners frequently! Isn't the internet great!

Normally you purchase a car and never see the previous owner again!

------------------

Dave Refault
    Owner - Nissan200sx Web
    S13 - Mild Mods.
    SXOC Administrator

Rides

I know for sure a stock S14 isnt as quick as a stock UK spec Impreza Turbo. We raced an S14 off th lights (We were 4 up) and of course off the lights we were quicker (He was 2 up, his wife giving him Major hassle!).
    We were quicker in second, and also pulled away in 3rd but by this time i think the S14 had called it a day... S14 Impressed me though, it wasnt a slouch off the blocks. I wish i could come up against one in my car, i think it'd be damn close.

Paz

Rides

Wink

The main thing to remember that these cars aren't as aerodynamic as the 200sx (s13 &14) and Nathan and I raced a Mitzi Evo 6 and he wimped out a 145mph, there is a lot of frontal area on a Scooby or Evo. What I think the deal is with these cars are that half the owners are born-again racers (like all the born again bikers on the road these days). I think there are a lot of 40-somthings with some cash to splash.

Rides

The other thing to remember is that, though the Scooby may have a higher power output on paper, a hell of a lot of power is lost through that 4wd transmision.

So though it might pull away from the lights quicker, that's probably down to better traction than outright power superiority. At higher speeds in the dry traction becomes less of an issue so an S14 is probably as powerful in 'real' terms.

------------------
    JB
    '00 Emerald S14 auto
    to XR2s, 3s, lowered Saxo VTRs,
    crapped out Cavaliers and ALL BMWs

Rides

Cool

Dunno, but my MkIII Supra Turbo just ate one

Administrator
    Rides

I take it your the same person off the supra list? I'm a member of that as well.
    SXOC Administrator