Thread: squealing from clutch

Rides

squealing from clutch

Hi Guys and Gals

The 13 seems to have developed a strange squealing when pressing the clutch pedal down.
    Even the slightest touch of the pedal seems to make it happen and the pedal is also coming back up then "popping up" at the end,

I’m thinking it’s something to do with the slave cylinder or maybe the release bearing

Any pointers as to how to check what it could be are greatly received

I’m guessing it’s not the clutch as it hasn’t done very many miles and it’s a stage 4 comp clutch.

Thanks
    Gary

Rides
    That will be the Clutch bearing. Was it replaced when you did the clutch?

Rides
    yeah there was a new one put in that came with the clutch..

Rides
    I've got the same problem with new clutch and release bearing, will follow the thread for ideas.

Rides
    When i first changed the clutch on my S13 i had put the clutch release bearing on the wrong way. After completion it was fine but soon after it started squealing and eventually the clutch pedal stayed on the floor.

So my guess is that's what's going on. The biting point of the bearing on the pressure plate is wrong and hence the noise. Screwing up the bearing and the blades on the pressure plate.

Rides
    the clutch was installed by a chap that knows his onions, wasn't done by me or the car would never work so that's not the case here, he is very meticulous in what he does.

another development today that is if i try and start the car with the clutch down, it takes longer to start. and then when stopping it almost stalls the car as if there is a vac leak or something....very strange.

fluids are all fine.. i guess its take it apart and check the bearing....

Rides
    indeed, you don't want to end up with a stuck clutch pedal somewhere

Rides
    Check the fluid level in the master cylinder first off mate, then check the carpet behind the clutch pedal area for any signs of fluid as well as havin a look at the slave cylinder on the side o the gearbox

It's not uncommon for uprated clutch assemblies to over stress the tired old hydraulics and pop a seal in the slave or master..

Also if you can, get someone to press pedal down while ur underneath looking at the slave cylinder and see if/ how far it moves, obviously little or no movement is bad and means faulty component or air in the lines..

That'd be the easy solution but does sound like something is binding.. Another easyish check to do before dropping box again is unbolt the slave cylinder from the box, then waggle the release fork arm (don't go too mad though cos you can dislodge it from the pivot if you're really heavy handed ) If the arm is flappin round all over the place then there's your problem, it's come away/ sheared the pivot..