Thread: cleaning wheels

Rides

cleaning wheels

i have a set of dark chrome finish wheels and im wondering what the best method is to clean them without ruining the finish

Rides
    Just treat them the same as the paintwork on the car!

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    ok so dont use any 'special' wheels cleaners etc

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by fudi View Post
    ok so dont use any 'special' wheels cleaners etc
    I believe Klears is ph neutral. but i think wheel cleaner is over rated,just make sure you dont leave brake dust build up too much,and they should be fine!
    couple of coats of normal carwax (Making sure its not a cutting one like autoglym resin polish) and the dirt and dust will come off so much easier!

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Yeah gonna abuse them meguiars (sp) gold class wax

Rides
    Use Rimwax. It sticks better on rims than regular wax.

I do mine each month. Even when they are black from braking dust I only have to hose the dirth of to get them like new (and they are whithe imho )

Rides
    I (shockingly) use rarerims wheel cleaner - advertising aside, it's designed for the job and works well, without being acid and evil like wonderwheels and the likes.

A decent wheel cleaner makes the job easier, waxing them with rimwax makes life easier still.

Any kind of special finish will be ruined by anything acidic

Rides
    Bilberry is very good for cleaning wheels. You can dilute it upto 10:1 so one litre will make ten. It's acid free and brilliant, just put it diluted in a spray bottle, give the wheel a spray, leave it a couple of minutes, a quick brush or wipe round and the rinse.

You can get TurtleWax Nano wheel cleaner from Halfords which is very good but works out a lot more expensice than Bilberry.

I have read VERY good things about Wolf's Chemicals - Deironizer. You just spray it on and leave it to dry, then pressure wash it off. I've not used it myself yet though so can't comment further.

Once they are clean, keep them well sealed and they will just clean with normal car shampoo in the future. Optimum Opti-seal is perfect for this, very quick and easy to apply, just spray a little on a microfibre and wipe thinly onto the wheel. And you can seal the rest of the car with it leaving a very reflective shine. Works very well on black plastic too