Thread: Thoughts On These Speakers For S14a?

Rides

Thoughts On These Speakers For S14a?

hey guys, gone are my days of million watt subwoofers and all the big power amps and crap i want something simple now.

i was looking at upgrading the rear shelf and door speakers in my s14a someting quick and simple to do that'll give a good improvement.

looking for someting cheap and cheerful, dont want to go spending mega bucks on speakers

i've always been a lover of vibe speakers but if anyone has any advice/opinions let me know, i do like alot of bass but i know i'm not going to get alot without a sub however surely these will be better than the standard speakers. (running a pioneer headunit)

i'm between the FLI
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/fli-...tegrator6.html

and vibe
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/vibe-slick6.html

cheers
    jonny.

Rides

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Without an amp, both will sound worse, unless your standard speakers have fallen apart.

The Vibe's are lower power RMS at a min of 45W, even the best headunit will probably only be putting out maybe 15W at the most, so it's really not going to be able to drive them efficiently.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy_m View Post
    Without an amp, both will sound worse, unless your standard speakers have fallen apart.

The Vibe's are lower power RMS at a min of 45W, even the best headunit will probably only be putting out maybe 15W at the most, so it's really not going to be able to drive them efficiently.
    I wouldn't say worse! but yep an amp will be needed to make the most of them!
    I made the mistake of putting good speakers in my daily cause the headunit looked a pain to swap,and for around £140 worth of speakers,i reckon it only improved the sound by 15-20%

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Hey jonny I just bought these JBL's.
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jbl-gt5-652.html

Low ish power handling won't matter if you are powering from the head unit. But look at the sensitivity. 93db that means in theory they should be twice as loud as the FLI's with the same input power. I bet there not but that is the theory.

I'll fit them today and let you know what I think.

Stu@GarageSR, Aberdeen GarageSR's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie b View Post
    93db that means in theory they should be twice as loud as the FLI's with the same input power. I bet there not but that is the theory.
    In theory you are right there stevie, but there are a lot of other things that factor into a speakers performance. A higher sensitivity speaker with a rubbish build quality, while it may only require half the power of a speaker with a 3db lower sensitivity to achieve the same volume, will still sound gash

I have those JBL's in my Audi Coupe, which in theory should be a better sound stage than an s14/a, and they sound flat and nasty. They are run off a high end pioneer head unit using good quality cable and very well secured. TBH not impressed at all but needed something cheap and quick.

Jonny, best advice I can give you is stay away from fli..they are useless and I've never heard so many complaints about a single manufacturer. They are made by vibe btw as their cheapo range, with edge bieng the middle class and vibe the high end (supposedly) tbh, imho they are all shit unless you want fcukloads of bass and not much else...in which case the vibes will be fine.

Have a look at these if your budget will allow, I really cant reccomend them highly enough as far as performance vs value for money goes.
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/hert...ecx-165-3.html

I would also recommend investing in some stick on sound deadening sheet, like this:
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/sile...-door-kit.html
    As the difference it will make is unbelievable, turning the "tinny" sound into a much fuller, richer sound with deeper bass and better reproduction.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah...I can nip round some time and discuss it with you in more detail if you want

Clickme