Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Alfa Scuderia "non originale"

Rides
    Just gone through this from page one and the work that has gone into this to keep the aesthetics as beautiful as when it left the Alfa factory all the years ago is amazing but you have also chosen a jap-engine with a good reliabilty and tuning background so by putting the two together is pure genius

TBH I read about this car in PPC mag as Im a subscriber as they symbolise my thoughts in the way of tuning but just thought Id search it and here you are.

It is nice to see other photos of the build and prep that went into her and that the build isnt over ( is it ever going to be?)

Congratulations on creating such a car

Rides
    Thanks mate. Car has still plenty of development left to get to exactly what I want. Upgraded the rad which now performs well and doesnt leak.

Got a squeaky centre bearing on the prop to sort but fed up with crawling under the car so will try and borrow a ramp at the weekend. The Bosch fuel pump is getting on my nerves as it is so loud, so will try some sound insulation. The big bill will be when I get it resprayed. It looks okay in photos but the paint is a multitude of colours and there are a few chips, scratches and minor dings to sort.

- Jim

Quote Originally Posted by turboflash View Post
    Just gone through this from page one and the work that has gone into this to keep the aesthetics as beautiful as when it left the Alfa factory all the years ago is amazing but you have also chosen a jap-engine with a good reliabilty and tuning background so by putting the two together is pure genius

TBH I read about this car in PPC mag as Im a subscriber as they symbolise my thoughts in the way of tuning but just thought Id search it and here you are.

It is nice to see other photos of the build and prep that went into her and that the build isnt over ( is it ever going to be?)

Congratulations on creating such a car

Rides
    Heh, I bet there's some alfisti that have ground some teeth on this one!
    Loving it! There's me worrying about changing the clutch box and cams on my 147!!!!
    Much respect!!!

Rides
    Off to Spring Alfa day in the Cotsworlds tomorrow so I'll see if I get lynched

Seriously though all the Alfa guys seem fine with it. Got more stick for the conversion on here

- Jim

Rides
    Well I had a few upgrades over the last few months. I dumped the crap ebay stainless steel manifold which kept cracking for a nice and solid mild steel one custom built by the guys at Powerspeed. Lastly I have tarted up the engine bay by with a polished rocker cover and a repainted coil cover.

Car feels nice and stable up until you get to silly speeds. But I need to play around with some of the camber and toe settings as it is a bit understeery when high speed cornering and scrubbing the outside edges of the tyres. The increased castor helps add some negative camber on turn in but I need a bit more.

Off to Harpenden for Classics in the Common next Wednesday which will be the first proper outing since May.

DSCF8127.JPG

- Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alfaholical; 18-07-2012 at 19:51.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Looking good Jim. The polished rocker looks far more in keeping also. I can help but think a more classic style oil cap (if their is such a thing) would help finish off the look mind
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Looking good Jim. The polished rocker looks far more in keeping also. I can help but think a more classic style oil cap (if their is such a thing) would help finish off the look mind
    I think you are spot on for the oil cap. I have been looking but not found anything yet but will keep looking.

Cheers

Jim

Rides
    Give it some more camber for the turn in. It does make the car a little twitchy at speed though. I have about 2.5 - 3 deg on the front of my s13 and it turns in like nothing I've ever driven.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    Give it some more camber for the turn in. It does make the car a little twitchy at speed though. I have about 2.5 - 3 deg on the front of my s13 and it turns in like nothing I've ever driven.
    On advise I took the camber up from 0.5 deg to 1.5 deg. This was on the advise of the guys who did the alignment. Could go more but will effect braking and tyre wear. Its all a compromise I guess.

- Jim

Rides
    Yeah you will loose a little strait line braking traction if your tyres are very hard. But at 30psi I've not noticed anything on mine.

Rides
    The change in camber seems to have worked very well but with this cold slippery weather it's all a bit theoretical now. Next outing is the New Years day outing at Brooklands.

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/inde...ay-gathering2/

Then onto the next mods and tweeks. Increase the ground clearance, drop the pedal box, some cosmetic GTA style changes.

- Jim

Rides
    That's only 2 mins from where I live, I'll have to pop up and say hello.

What's going on there mate?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Still love this, so so cool
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Just read from the start..... Amazing build

I restore and modernise classic cars for a living so can fully understand how far from a quick swop this is.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Rides
    I absolutely love this car ..... So envious, I would adore to have something like this ... Well done fella

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ***** View Post
    That's only 2 mins from where I live, I'll have to pop up and say hello.

What's going on there mate?
    Hi *****

Be good to say hello.

This is an annual event and the first car meet of 2013. Always hundreds of cars mainly pre 1973 but a splattering of "interesting or special younger vehicles, including supercars". I could spend the whole day walking aroung the parking areas but I'll have a nose around the museum too (cars, planes, bikes etc). It's a good day out I'll be taking my 12 year old with me.

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/inde...ay-gathering2/

Cheers

Jim

Rides
    Awesome,

Grazor is here in the morning so I'll see if we're fit for a wonder up

Rides
    Just stunning!!!

Rides
    After visiting Brooklands I will probably be dropping by the The Phoenix Inn for the annual 1st Jan Classic Car show

London Road, Phoenix Green, Hartley Wintney, Hampshire RG27 8RT

http://www.phoenixinn.co.uk/events-calendar

Jim

Rides
    Well it has been months since I have provided any updates.

Whilst the car body was generally in good condition, there were a few or things that needed attention. There was a poor repairs to the doors, and rear valance. Also the paint was a bit faded and different shades and the there were the usual "supermarket" dents.

I had been asking around for prices to respray and been quoted up to £3500 so this had been on the back burner for some time. However a mate of a mate new someone who could do a decent respray and it I did all the prep I could have it done for a fraction of the cost. I had seen some of his work and it certainly looked fine to me.

So I decided that I had to bite the bullet and get on with the repairs before the rust got hold and things became even more expensive. I also needed to modify the pedal box to get the ergonomics better and my friend Martin said he could do the mods and fit new door skins. I drove the car over and stripped the car down in his workshop saving time and money.

IMG_0223.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

Panels fitted. A bit of panel beating, weld in a few small pieces of new metal where required. Modification to grill mount so that I could fit my GTA grille that I picked up ages back.

So off to paint......