Thread: Mazda 3 60 plate diesel jerking/juddering

Rides

Mazda 3 60 plate diesel jerking/juddering

Hi,
    I had a strange issue on a drive into my city recently, whenever I went to accelerate hard, to pull out from a junction or to overtake some cyclists my Mazda 3 seemed to splutter, judder and stalled out making the engine and oil light appear on the dash. After turning it off, leaving it for 5 mins and then restarting the rest of the trip was uneventful, and now I drive a lot calmer, and accelerate a lot slower and it hasn't happened since but I'm now wary that if I need to overtake on an A road and it stalls, I could be in a collision.

Both times it has happened I have been putting my foot down, leaving a junction from 1st to change into 2nd, and in 3rd to overtake cyclists, there was no smoke anywhere, and no other lights came on on the dash except the engine and oil light after it died.

• This seemed to start after I very nearly ran it dry (my mistake, I live in a very remote area with not many fuel stations about), but hasn't happened after refuelling or because Im taking it easier... who knows

• Is it worth buying diesel cleaner/redex to maybe see if that helps to clean any gunk out?

• I barely drive the car, and has only done 55k miles, only about 2/3k of those have been in the last year.

I had a full service from the Mazda dealer a couple of years ago when I bought it, and another full service about a month ago, but the fuel filter etc wasn't changed on the most recent service

I have had some diagnostics done on it which came up with these faults from the OBD.

P0087 -
    Type - Powertrain fuel and air
    Desc - Fuel rail/system pressure too low

P1180 -
    Type - Powertrain manufacturer controlled
    Desc - Fuel delivery system low conditions
    Cause - Engine running, then the PCM detected that the FTP sensor signal from the NG module data indicated an inferred pressure of less than a minimum calibrated value.

P0704
    Type - Powertrain Transmission
    Desc - Clutch pedal postion switch circuit conditions
    Cause - Engine running, then the PCM did not detect any change in the CPP switch status. The CCP PID should change (5v to 0v) with clutch depressed.

The diagnostic guy said it could potentially be the fuel filter or fuel pump?

Just wondering if anybody had any ideas before I take it into Mazda and probably pay a load for something that may not even fix it.

Thanks

Rides
    Why are you asking on a forum for old Nissans??

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Why are you asking on a forum for old Nissans??
    Is it? I'm sorry, I found this post - http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?5...ting-misfiring

and thought it was a general car forum.

West Country Rep
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by asedfw View Post
    Is it? I'm sorry, I found this post - http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?5...ting-misfiring

and thought it was a general car forum.
    If i remember correct, Mazda admitted there was a fault with these years (my friend had the same issue). Thats all i know im afraid on them

West Country REO

West Country Rep
    Rides
    Also: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37241728

This part:

In addition, the carmaker recalled another 110,000 cars sold domestically because of a computer issue with their diesel engines.

Take it to Mazda, as its a recall

West Country REO

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Murt View Post
    Also: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37241728

This part:

In addition, the carmaker recalled another 110,000 cars sold domestically because of a computer issue with their diesel engines.

Take it to Mazda, as its a recall
    Great, thanks I'll take a look at the recalls.