Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 200SX S14a Project

Rides

200SX S14a Project

Hi all,

I'd wanted an S14a for a couple of years and always knew it's what I'd have after my 2.0L corsa!

So sold the corsa back in october 2010 and after looking at a few 200SX's I finally bought this one 2 days after selling my corsa. its a 1999 200SX touring 2.0L turbo (SR20DET) manual.

[

Was well chuffed with it and it had a good spec from the off

Engine

A’pexi Induction kit
    Apex Performance Type 2 intercooler kit
    Blitz Nur Spec R cat back exhaust system
    HDI Electronic boost controller @ 12psi

Transmission

ACT heavy duty clutch,
    Apex Performance lightweight flywheel

Handling

Apex Performance Gen1 Coilovers,
    Godspeed ARBs,
    Apex Performance subframe locking collars
    DB power 315mm rotor front brake kit

Wheels

Rota GTR 18 x 9.5J

Exterior

Front and Rear arch lips rolled.
    De-spoilered boot lid

Interior

Boost gauge
    Oil pressure gauge
    Oil temp gauge
    Water temp gauge

Then I got the bug and starting buying and fitting new parts.

I've added smoked side repeaters, an apex decat pipe, and apex uprated gearbox and engine mounts

And finally for now, I've treated it to a new japspeed tubular manifold for xmas

Update

Got myself some black leather for free to replace the existing cream leather. Fronts aren't in great condition bit will do until bucket seats are fitted at some point.

Ripped all the old interior out

fitted black stuff in, including new black panelled door cards

Very pleased with it especially as it was free!

A few pics from the orient academy meet I went to Monday night.

Was a decent turn out with over 70 jap cars

Update

Fitted my alignment set up this weekend. They look awesome on the car, Going to go and have a full alignment done on friday so I'm looking forward to the results.

Fitted my 6K HID kit which works really well in the projector lenses and has increased visibility no end! Had to cut a 25mm hole into the back of the cap to fit the wiring through but it all looks very neat and the ballasts are tiny!

No pics of them on at night but I will get some soon.

Also received this today, an apex short shifter. It is awesome! The shift is so nice and close and makes a lovely metallic noise when shifting and makes it impossible to miss the gear (which did used to happen as the stick goes directly into the gearbox).

Gave my car a full clean yesterday, including getting rid of most of the minor scuffs and stone chips.

Then the full works with dodo juice products

Also had the alignment done a week ago which now feels amazing but meant I had to put on even bigger flare on all the arches but I've managed to stay at ET10 all round so I'm pleased.

Update

Bought a few quite major mods for the car

I've always had my eye on this bumper (URAS type S) [replica] and when this came up for £50 I just had to have it, shame there was a 5hour round trip involved but it was good fun fitting it in my corsa daily!

Going to trial fit it on my car at the weekend, although it's already been on a car so fitment should be almost spot on.

Next is a small but essential small mod in the form of an oil sandwich plate so I can finally fit my Defi gauges.

Next is a Z32 MAF this is bigger than the original and is required when going above the @330 bhp mark to ensure the amount of air can be adequately metered.

Followed by my deatschwerks 740cc injectors ( thats double the standard size!! ) which should be able to flow more than enough for what I'm going for.

Just saving hard for a Garrett GT2871R turbo now that should hit @380bhp at the fly with the above mods and my A'pexi PFC management.
    Last edited by Sean-B; 08-12-2012 at 22:58.

Rides
    Update

Trial fitted up my new bumper, I'm well pleased with it, got a few cheeky snaps of the rest of the car as well.

My current spec now stands at

1999 Nissan 200SX S14a

Engine

A’pexi Induction kit
    Apex Performance Type 2 intercooler kit
    Apex Performance 3" decat
    Blitz Nur Spec R cat back exhaust system
    HDI Electronic boost controller @ 12psi
    Apex Performance 'Street' engine and gearbox mounts
    A’pexi Power FC fully mapable ECU (to fit)
    Deatschweks 740cc injectors (to fit)
    Z32 MAF (to fit)
    Japspeed tubular manifold (to fit)
    Oil sandwich plate for senders

Transmission

ACT heavy duty clutch,
    Apex Performance lightweight flywheel
    Apex Performance short shift

Handling

Apex Performance Gen1 Coilovers,
    Godspeed ARBs,
    Apex Performance subframe locking collars
    DB power 315mm rotor front brake kit
    Apex Performance Front castor arms
    Apex Performance Rear traction arms
    Apex Performance Rear camber arms
    Apex Performance Rear toe arms
    Full alignment set up

Wheels

Rota GTR 18 x 9.5J, ET10 rear ET10 front.
    20mm hubcentric spacers x 4

Exterior

Smoked side repeaters,
    Front and Rear arch lips rolled
    De-spoilered boot lid
    URAS Type S Replica Rear bumper (to fit)

Interior

Black leathers
    Defi Boost gauge (to fit)
    Defi Oil pressure gauge
    Defi link controller
    Water temp gauge

Update

My brakes are basically crap despite having a 315mm disc conversion and braided lines and a full bleed. I'd noticed a constant squealing from the drivers side front brake so upon further inspection it turned out a piston was not retracting fully and causing the pad to be forced against the disc at all times

So I took the caliper off and attempted to push the pistons back by hand which left me with this, as you can see one is stuck!

At this point I decided I'd fully strip both calipers leaving me with this after a few hours of wrestling the pistons out.

Turns out 1 piston was free 5 were sticking and 2 were seized! So hopefully they should feel much better after a rebuild.

Gave each caliper a full clean today and cleaned up all the bores. Will be ordering a full rebuild kit tomorrow and re-painting them black again.

Just undecided on what pads to put in as the current ones are knackered from uneven wear...

[Edited on 19-04-2011 by Sean-B]
    Last edited by Sean-B; 19-04-2011 at 20:27.

Rides
    very nice base mate, what are your plans?

work2drift
    Where you from mate?
    I keep seeing a s14a about I thought it was greg gush :/.

Rides
    great clean looking s14a.... that bodykit rear bumper is hideous, the car is miles better with the old bumper on it

Rides
    nice lookin motor mate.are you fitting that uras rear with the std touring skirts and front?i was thinking bout doin something similar so will be nice to see how yours turn out

Rides
    very nice mate! i'll be refurbing some spare calipers i bought a few months back also

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SX~Rider~R17t View Post
    very nice base mate, what are your plans?
    plans are to buy and fit a GT2871 0.64A/R with all my other mods then go and get it mapped on my A'pexi PFC by Greg at Protuner. Exterior wise.. track look.

Quote Originally Posted by work2drift View Post
    Where you from mate?
    I keep seeing a s14a about I thought it was greg gush :/.
    I'm from Perton near wolverhampton but I get around in it a fair bit so you may have seen me some where else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideways Simon View Post
    great clean looking s14a.... that bodykit rear bumper is hideous, the car is miles better with the old bumper on it
    Thanks mate, it will look better when it has some skirts to with it and a big splitter on the front with some cannards.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd View Post
    nice lookin motor mate.are you fitting that uras rear with the std touring skirts and front?i was thinking bout doin something similar so will be nice to see how yours turn out
    As above I think I want some bigger skirts to go with it but retaining the standard front bumper with an added splitter. I think it's important to have strong wheel fitment with a bumper like this though. From behind my wheels still protrude further than the bumper so it doesn't look too huge!

Quote Originally Posted by jonny mac View Post
    very nice mate! i'll be refurbing some spare calipers i bought a few months back also
    Thanks , yea it's quite easy to do, I've had to buy one new piston aswell as there was too much pitting for it to be servicable.

Rides
    lovely car! great thread too! keep us posted! :-) *hits bookmark this page*
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    Update

Finished the caliper rebuild, had to buy one new piston in the end as one was too badly corroded. Settled on a set of oversized EBC redstuff pads. Painted the calipers matt black for that stealth look (also never have to clean them). The big red EBC pads looked gash poking out the bottom of them so I painted the backs of those matt black aswell!

The stopping power is now awesome, i mean it must be 4x better than before I've never felt brakes like it, not bad for £95 all in really!

Also another cheeky purchase turned up in the shape of my Ings+ D1 side skirts,

Had a very quick trial fit

They're going to look awesome!! My exterior plan is slowly coming together!

Rides
    Ride height looking spot on mate. Any issues with rubbbing on the front with 9.5's?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie200sx View Post
    Ride height looking spot on mate. Any issues with rubbbing on the front with 9.5's?
    Thanks mate, nope no rubbing at all, I have done quite alot of arch work though, rolling flaring to get it to run fine at that height and offset though.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-B View Post
    Thanks mate, nope no rubbing at all, I have done quite alot of arch work though, rolling flaring to get it to run fine at that height and offset though.
    Good good. Just curious, due to myself running 8.5's up front. I intend to have 9.5's all round at some point. Did you do the work yourself? Not sure if Archenemy cover Birmingham?

Rides
    Lovely car mate

not too keen on the kit though (IMO)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie200sx View Post
    Good good. Just curious, due to myself running 8.5's up front. I intend to have 9.5's all round at some point. Did you do the work yourself? Not sure if Archenemy cover Birmingham?
    Yea I did it all ,relocated the loom etc, I've got an arch roller as well which helps!

Quote Originally Posted by tompei View Post
    Lovely car mate

not too keen on the kit though (IMO)
    Thanks, it'll all come good with the kit in the end!

Rides
    Looks good pal, very nice

Also *hijack* iv got a brand new vertex front bumper if your interested *hijack*

Rides
    Where did you get your HID kit from? Cheers, tom

Rides
    Great work mate, my car looks a LOT like yours! same small plate, HID's, etc etc
    im in love with yours wheels, i had those in mind and youve made my mind up! hehe...

keep up the good work

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by seany boi View Post
    Looks good pal, very nice

Also *hijack* iv got a brand new vertex front bumper if your interested *hijack*
    I'm not going to run a FG front bumper as I know it'll get smashed up due to my ride height! thanks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by tompei View Post
    Where did you get your HID kit from? Cheers, tom
    I had it off a member on here was selling them for £30 a pop.

Quote Originally Posted by YannG View Post
    Great work mate, my car looks a LOT like yours! same small plate, HID's, etc etc
    im in love with yours wheels, i had those in mind and youve made my mind up! hehe...

keep up the good work
    Thanks a lot mate, glad I've helped your decision!

Banned
    Rides
    [QUOTE=Sean-B;5810637]Yea I did it all ,relocated the loom etc, I've got an arch roller as well which helps!

thats what i wondered now i no i had 9.5 on the front of my old sx and god the amount of stress i had et 35 i think then i needed a 10mm spacer which only just cleared the coilovers just by 1 mm

atm on my new sx ive got 8.5s on the front as i couldnt be ared with the hassel with 9.5s again lol

but i may get some more .....lol

can i ask were and how did u move the loom ....as i know this is a big problem that people dont relalise when droping it on its ass and they think its only rubbing the inner arch away untill it eats into the loom

and what et and spacers are you useing along with tyres sizes ?

thanks john

ps nice car but im not keen on the kit each to ther own tho pal

Last edited by chazx; 13-05-2011 at 18:22.