Thread: Battery relocation problems s13

Rides

Battery relocation problems s13

Hi there thought i just put this up incase anyone could help me. I'll start from the beginning my head gasket blew so got new a engine that just been rebuilt to put in well doing this i put a new s/s exhaust manifold with hybrid turbo on and fitted a fmic at the same time so now had to move the battery of course. So fitted a 300amp cable from battery to old postive terminal and joined them with a fuse holder using a 80 amp fuse then earthed the battery to the car and used the old earth making sure it had a good connection.

Now the problem when i try to start the car and the fuse melts in about 6 secs and not sure whats doing it. I can put 40 amp in and turn the ignition on and all runs fine i can listen to radio turn lights on and switch my electric fans on all the sametime and theres no problems. However turn the key and the fuse pops.

So think there might be a short just thought that someone might hopefully point me in the right direction.

cheers guys

Rides
    why you put a fuse to new cable i don't understand this?

Rides
    Need 100-150 A fuse. Starter take alot

Rides
    did as found in forums as well for safety so i dont burn out anything. so why dont you understand?

Rides
    cool give it a try thanks

Rides
    80 amp is a way much low for car . and don't need to put fuse there actually. i'm using my car without fuse since 2 years. My battery is located at trunk

12Vx80Amp= 960W

Believe me your starter is takes way more then this. just don't use a fuse , or double your fuse rate

Edit:

As Project_S14 says you have to take a cable from plenum to body also .
    Last edited by Spawn_CA18; 19-04-2011 at 18:55.

Rides
    as said your starter motor will take alot more, i have my battery in the boot and dont have a fuse either, however i can understand why you do, because if theres a short on the cable between the battery and front connection the cable will just melt/ start a fire... had this happen to me before and it wasnt a pretty site, i just use a key switch isolator near the battery and turn it off everytime i get out the car

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JOn_200sx View Post
    So fitted a 300amp cable from battery to old postive terminal and joined them with a fuse holder using a 80 amp fuse then earthed the battery to the car and used the old earth making sure it had a good connection.
    I had the exact same problem when i relocated my battery to boot

i relocated the entire earth cable from engine bay (disconecting it from the body and manifold) and just connected it from boot battery to body in the boot by doing this the engine was nolonger earthed from inlet manifold to chassis was skull fd for a while till i figured a wire from manifold to body resolved this for me.

this was SR20DET which engine is yours?

hope this helps

Rides
    i used a 250amp Circuit breaker on my s13 from db-power. worked fine but would pop under pre-longed cranking

Rides
    Thank you guys for all your help got car running just joined it all and put an isolator in for safe measure.

Rides