Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ca inlet Mani on flea bay

Rides
    Norris's doesnt come with a throttle body and also looks absolutley gash (could be the pic). When you add the cost of a throttle body to that one you are up at the same price as for the ebay one.

the ebay ones are fantastic bits of kit

Rides
    its looks shit but it works and thats what this thread is arguing over at min bud

Rides
    bigger throttle body will cause a drop in torque - we dynoed the same car with different throttle bodies once to find out (sr btw)

it does however help the engine breathe higher up the rev range on higher powered cars
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    if a bigger throttle butterfly is so bad why does a 2.0l engine have a bigger throttle than a 1.8? also why does the rb26 have throttle bodies? the surface area of 6 throttle butterflys is far bigger than the rb25's single throttle.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by big_mac View Post
    if a bigger throttle butterfly is so bad why does a 2.0l engine have a bigger throttle than a 1.8? also why does the rb26 have throttle bodies? the surface area of 6 throttle butterflys is far bigger than the rb25's single throttle.
    i didnt say it was bad

also the surface area of the throttle bodies thing is false as it all still breathes through the same size plenum inlet.......

bigger engines have bigger throttle bodies because, err, wait for it, it uses more air..........i think

anyways pisstaking aside i was only saying what happens in the real world. as i daid we dynoed it, also note that rally cars add restrictor plates behind the throttle body to raise their torque

what i said is that you lose a little torque but on higher powered or high revving cars theyre a must to get the air going through. too big is utterly ridiculous though if youre still using 3inch intercooler pipes as you will just make them the restriction
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake Ben Taylor View Post
    i didnt say it was bad

also the surface area of the throttle bodies thing is false as it all still breathes through the same size plenum inlet.......

bigger engines have bigger throttle bodies because, err, wait for it, it uses more air..........i think

anyways pisstaking aside i was only saying what happens in the real world. as i daid we dynoed it, also note that rally cars add restrictor plates behind the throttle body to raise their torque

what i said is that you lose a little torque but on higher powered or high revving cars theyre a must to get the air going through. too big is utterly ridiculous though if youre still using 3inch intercooler pipes as you will just make them the restriction
    i wasnt having a go at you bud, its just coincidence i re-asked my question after you had replyed. but about the bigger throttle body - more air statement, in order to get more power surley we need more air?

The rb26 still breathes through a 3" or so inlet, but this is sufficient because only 1 cykinder is filling at any one time (there will be a bit more than 1 clylinders worth in reality) but there will come a point where the size of the throttle cant flow enough air because either the engine is revving higher and thus needing more air or the backpressure in the exhaust is removed allowing the engine to breathe better. When you reach this point the engine isnt making the most out of the air it is recieving and you may have to run a higher boost level in order to force more air into the engine rather than removing the restriction.
    What the boost levl/revs this is required is an unknown but is easy to find out by simply measuring the vacum in the inlet manifold.

Rides
    The factory TB is 55mm in diameter right, well while it may not seem to be that large remember that the engine only has one cylinder sucking/air being forced in at a time, so a 55mm hole is actually quite large. The ca18 would have something like 40mm chokes for each cylinder, which is obviously a lot smaller (~53% the area) than the 55mm TB.

55mm tb is only rated to 310hp in na format and 475hp boosted iirc

Rides
    i used a bigger tb at 360 bhp only a 60mm one mind so not hugely bigger but figured it wouldhelp unstress the turbo a bit

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake Ben Taylor View Post
    i used a bigger tb at 360 bhp only a 60mm one mind so not hugely bigger but figured it wouldhelp unstress the turbo a bit
    i think i used an rb one..... i cant remember now had far too many different setups but i know this worked ok for a bit

should have stayed/stuck with this setup instead of going down the sr route

Rides
    DSM tuners dynoed 12HP more with 60mm TB instead of 54 (power level around 320whp only):
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dyno...ad-intake.html

Rides
    80mm Q45. In fact 80mm all the way from the turbo outlet to the flange on the intake manifold.

Last edited by shogun; 20-04-2011 at 04:36.

Banned
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetal View Post
    DSM tuners dynoed 12HP more with 60mm TB instead of 54 (power level around 320whp only):
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dyno...ad-intake.html
    1/ On a different engine, with 1.5bar boost
    2/ you might have skipped that part saying the mani was smoothed and ported.
    3/ it might be worth mentionning dynos have an error windows of around 8 to 12%.

You want your shiney manifold ? GET IT ! Spend 1000£ in a shiny bit. Dont complain ever after that you had a lot of adapting work, and that it does not work that much better for that kind of money.

big mac > i already told it twice, but you seem to be completely eye disabled.

Maybe a third time ?

Bigger than necessary means it does not do its job to THROTTLE, meaning there will be no difference wether you are flat out or 75% open (for example). It does not degrade peak power, it just is pointless. When i do not floor the pedal, i do no want my engine to act like i did. Maybe a drag racer does not care, but i do.

that and for the second time, these shitty TB from East tends to get stuck in the open position. If you want a bigger TB that bad, get one from a real manufacturer.

Rides
    shogun i love your set up mate

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    shogun i love your set up mate
    Look who's talking

Yours is Ooooh! I like it!

Rides
    my setup was sold on in 2007 i think it was and it only made around 430hp using a td06-20g turbo... so long ago no idea what happened to it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by croustibat View Post
    1/ On a different engine, with 1.5bar boost
    thank you, Captain! You are free to post TB change dyno tests on CA18DET, don't keep them to yourself.
    P.S. Yes, we have boost too
    2/ you might have skipped that part saying the mani was smoothed and ported.
    You might have misread that they ported intake TO MATCH NEW THROTTLE BODY
    3/ it might be worth mentionning dynos have an error windows of around 8 to 12%.
    Just stop talking bullshit. Dyno will not show 300who on 1 run and 330whp on 2nd run by itself, however bad it is.

Rides
    I'd imagine the inherent error in the dyno would be consistent, so it may show 300BHP all day whereas a completely different dyno could show 280BHP.

Rides
    Just checked throttle sizes in Corky Bell book as well - exactly same as Graham Bell states. 55mm for under 310HP. 63mm required for 400HP. 70mm for 500HP. At that level LOSSES will be ACCEPTABLE, nothing more. They still will be there, and max power will still benefit from larger throttle.

Rides
    the old 'big throttle = dodgy throttle response' was before progressive throttles were brought in - IIRC the throttle linkage on the Q45 is progressive - for the first 10 percent of the pedal it equates to less than that in terms of throttle angle.

I'm certainly considering one on the RB when the money is less tied up rebuilding the thing
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    my 6.3 liters don't suck that much air in through 80mm that I would consider it jerky I imagine on 1.8 liters it won't be too
    p.s. no progressive linkage