Anybody tried one of these?

iPhone URL:
    INTAKE MANIFOLD NISSAN SILVIA S13 CA18DET 180sx 75mm TB

Browser URL:
    INTAKE MANIFOLD NISSAN SILVIA S13 CA18DET 180sx 75mm TB

Item 230527312182

Rides

Rides
    Thanks for the link couldent work that out on my phone!

Rides
    Damn why did you have to post that, I want it... But it's sooo expensive

Banned
    Rides
    Chinese crap you could get for half that kind of money from ebay hk .

You dont need one unless you are aiming at 500+ HP . Be prepared for a custom IC piping. And dont bother with that if you have an ebay/xspower/apex intercooler, it will nullify the potential gain.

But it looks nice (although i dont like the throttle body color, and 75mm is way too big. Remember it is supposed to be a throttle, what is the point if the whole engine flow goes through when half open ? )

Rides
    as usually, I cannot agree with you. Good manifold will help waaaay below 500HP. And this one actually looks good, especially since it has velocity stacks.

Banned
    Rides
    Unless you are an accomplished race engine builder (which you are not) or a very, very, very good fluid dynamics expert (which i highly doubt you are), how can you tell it is good or bad based only on that listing ?

I can read an ad, i know it has "velocity stacks". How is it supposed to be better than the oem one ? How much will it increase flow ? How do you know it will not starve a cylinder ? This is a chinese/taiwanese copy of a proven design, and like every copy, will be flawed. Maybe the original jun design is just some more millimeter longer or larger, which could make a huge change. Anyway ...

My experience on S13 engines during the last 5 years makes me highly skeptical of any significant improvement against oem manifold, unless again you are aiming at high power. Also, throttle body is too big, and will just make no difference on the last quarter of opening, at the very least. If you are aiming at sub 450~500ish HP, there are tons of better things to do with 800$ + customs.

You build a supposed 400HP S13, fine for you. Build a 500HP or more CA, and you will have a better understanding of the CA limitations, as i already told you

Rides
    I agree with croustibat, the std CA mani and plenum isn't restrictive until silly BHP levels, so swapping it for a shiny thing from eBay won't have much effect.
    As said the TB is far to large for most applications.

For the amount it costs you could buy a stack of far more useful stuff that will have a much more dramatic effect on the engine.

Rides
    If you want to tweak it the KA24 throttle body fits nicely in the standard one, but I can assure you at 400bhp the standard one does the job perfectly!!

Rides
    the manifolds are very well made, the machining work on the throttle is absolutley georgeous. They are taiwanese but the quality of them is suprisingly good. The throttle is not too big IMO there are folk slating the size of this one and others reccomending the q45 (which is 5mm bigger). im running a 90mm throttle body on my 3.0l engine and so far no problems at all with it.

id say if you want it then get it and give it a bash, no point anybody on here (myself included) telling you how good or otherwise it will be having never tested that manifold on the engine you are talking about.

Rides
    big mac: I would want it if it was at least 2X cheaper. For this kind of money, and at the time I'm building another interesting (I hope) project, I can't afford this, and I agree money could be spent better. Although I think it is great manifold especially if it's really a copy of [hopefully] well developed Jun piece. So I wrote I want it but it's too damn expensive. And yes I'm sure it would gain something, common sense would be enough to see that.
    Also I like that it already comes with decent size TB ( 60mm KA24 is too small of a difference to really bother). I fail to understand how some people think that 55mm TB that Nissan engineers considered to be best at 170HP will still remain best at 500HP. Following their logic Nissan should have put 35mm TB probably?? Funny... Also if we take a look at Bell's "Forced induction" book, we can see that he recommends 55mm TB upto about 310HP (give or take, I can't guarantee that I remember this precisely). So stock or even 60mm is a point of losses too. I also THINK that you can't do any harm with 75 or 80 or 100mm TB on such tiny engine (I'm sure people understand why).

Rides
    doesnt it sya further down in that add that he will pretty much weld whatever size throttle plate you want!!! that solves the argument.

'the 55mm is too small'

'the 75mm is to big'

so get him to put a 65mm and make everyone happy lol

Banned
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetal View Post
    So stock or even 60mm is a point of losses too. I also THINK that you can't do any harm with 75 or 80 or 100mm TB on such tiny engine (I'm sure people understand why).
    Please, please, please, stop posting stupid comments and adding "i'm sure people understand why". Explain why. People "think" without any knowledge and end up propagating lies. I am not an expert in fluid dynamics, and so are "people", so no they cant understand why.

The problem is also that you cant even understand what the throttle job is ... i have already explained it, but you just discarded it. So i will just repeat myself again ...

Installing a bigger throttle body than needed means it is completely useless. Its job is to BLOCK air, until it is fully open. Installing a big one just means it will give full flow when only half open, or worse.

that and these so called good taiwanese TB have some slight problem, like getting easily stuck in the open position, which is not that fun TBH.

bin that crap, And if you feel restrained by your 55mm throttle body, think about your turbo compressor flange size.

That being said, yes, a 65mm throttle body is a nice thing to have when aiming at more than 400 - 450. But going bigger is useless. That and dont compare an NA engine and a turbo engine. thank you.

Rides
    reason i was interested is that the CA is current putting out 412bhp and i have started a fresh build for next year sticking with the CA but going for a bren CA20DET setup a 300zx box and custom prop shaft and having a think about diffs at the moment.

50% of the parts are alrady sitting in the workshop but this mani keeps catching my eye. My plan is that i have anotehr dyno sesion shortly to work out the points to bring hte electric fans in (running a emerald) and the water injection kit so my though was to get a final map done then swap over and see what difference the mani makes.

the standard set up is running jsut fine on the engine at present but investing in the emerald, gear box and shortly parting cash for the CA20 kit i want to get the best on this build and see where i can get to

i hevent even though about the TB as yet!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by croustibat View Post
    Please, please, please, stop posting stupid comments and adding "i'm sure people understand why". Explain why. People "think" without any knowledge and end up propagating lies. I am not an expert in fluid dynamics, and so are "people", so no they cant understand why.

The problem is also that you cant even understand what the throttle job is ... i have already explained it, but you just discarded it. So i will just repeat myself again ...

Installing a bigger throttle body than needed means it is completely useless. Its job is to BLOCK air, until it is fully open. Installing a big one just means it will give full flow when only half open, or worse.

that and these so called good taiwanese TB have some slight problem, like getting easily stuck in the open position, which is not that fun TBH.

bin that crap, And if you feel restrained by your 55mm throttle body, think about your turbo compressor flange size.

That being said, yes, a 65mm throttle body is a nice thing to have when aiming at more than 400 - 450. But going bigger is useless. That and dont compare an NA engine and a turbo engine. thank you.
    The throttles job isnt there to block airflow till full throttle, its purpose is to regulate the air entering the engine, a larger throttle wont cause issues with this at all, it wont make more air enter the engine as the air coming out the turbo is the same whether the throttle is 10mm or 100mm. the problems with larger throttles is that you loose a bit of resolution on the map due to the size of the butterfly.

if a 65 mm throttle is useless why is a 2.0l throttle body bigger than a 1.8? you are correct in a sense that it isnt always needed, it will work at 400hp but is it the best thing for the job?

why run a 3" exhaust when you can have a 2", why run a front mount when the wing mount will do? why run bigger injectors when you can just up the fuel pressure? There are things that will work, but these things do not always give you the most out your engine.

Banned
    Rides
    i have just said a 65mm is enough on the CA. And i also explained for the 2nd time why a bigger one is useless. Why do you want me to repeat myself so badly ?

Yes, running a 3" exhaust when a 2" is enough is stupid . running a big FMIC if a WMIC is enough is also stupid. Both are heavier, bulkier, and the FMIC will heat air before it goes cooling the engine. the exhaust will just be louder, and eventually will scratch the road. Running bigger injectors if all you need is a 0.5bar fuel pressure increase is stupid too, unless your fuel pump cant cope with it. That is exactly my point here, thank you.

Now the question of "why people do it". Pretty simple actually. Because some cool guys made great work, won some event, it was related all over the internet or on magazines, and wanabees just crawled around and thought he won because he installed a big exhaust and a FMIC. The very same reason why some people inflate their tyres with nitrogen. The reason why race drivers use nitrogen ... is because they originally had only that. Forget the bullshit about it being more stable and not adding pressure, a simple math calculation shows it does change a little bit when heated but nowhere near the stability claimed. The reason is not because of nitrogen, that is because the air is dryied in the compressor used... that and you need 2 valves on your wheel to really have a tyre inflated with nitrogen only (you need to empty your tyre before, which you cant without using a second valve ...)

Yes, these things will work anyway. They will create their own issues, which you should not have been bothered with from the begining, and they will cost money, which you could have spent on things that actually improve performance.

Unless you only want the shiny look. But that is another story, werent we talking about performance in the first place ?

Rides
    wow croustibat you just ruined the thread it also makes me angry for a second when people who don't understand need for cold air try to convince me that I don't understand how engines work
    Talking about the TB, 75mm IS NOT TOO BIG because IT WILL DO NO HARM, plain and simple. Even if it's useless, that's what this manifold comes with. If 65mm is an option than we both can be happy.

Rides
    Guys I also got some crazy idea - if CA head port spacing is very equal to Evos, why can't we adopt some Evo intake manifold? There's a lot of testing/development done on them and a lot of info can be found

Banned
    Rides
    yes, yes, i ruined the thread. Care to explain why it is obviously better ? Because it is shiny and cost a lot of money ? Wrong answer.

Rides
    if your going to get one a new inlet get the cheaper norris designs which is proven. it is fully flow tested and rated up to 700bhp

http://www.norrisdesigns.com/proddet...d=s13%2D019000