Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: S14 Trackslag, Rust Repairs, Cage, Brembo's, ABS and Aircon Delete

Rides
    Yeah the rust was very disheartening at the start.

I originally wanted to get some 14a JDM tail lights, but couldnt find any, so i tinted the standard ones as an experiment. It worked better than i thought, so they are staying. The indicators still flash orange....just! Its thin stuff and easy to get runs if you put too much on, but looks satin and rubbish if you dont put enough on.

Rides
    what is the difference between jdm kouki s14 rear lights and uk s14a!!?

Rides
    Same i think

Rides
    Oh just that you was looking for some jdm s14a rear lights as they might of been a difference that I couldn't see

Rides
    love this car!

Awsome job...it looks so mean on the tracK!

Rides
    Christmas is over, so i got back to work on my wheels.

I finished painting the centres, 2 coats of white primer, 2 coats of Ford Aztec Bronze, and 2 coats of clear lacquer. Painting the lacquer was really difficult as its so easy to get runs. I used the AGA cooker as a sort of drying booth, which helped the paint harden faster.

I gave the lips a really gentle sand with wet and dry and loads of soapy water to get the worst of the corrosion off. Then i de-greased them and got polishing with the metal polish. With the centres out, i couldnt polish the lips using the car up in the air and engine on in-gear method, and i soon got bored of doing it by hand. So taped an old cloth around a sanding wheel, and then tied a polishing bonnet over the top so i could use it in an electric drill. It worked pretty well, and saved loads if time. The lips arn't totally mint, but very presentable, and loads better than they were.

I had enough time to assemble 1 wheel completely. All 30 bolts cleaned up with the electric wire wheel, then bolted all together. Again a very laborious task. Wheels do look good though.

Bought a set of part worn Yoko Advan ao48 semi slicks from Gazelle (Marc) on here. Also bought a set of Toyo 888's off ebay, so plenty of trackday rubber for the spring.

Rides
    You keeping or selling your sparco wheels?

Rides
    Just read this gem of project thread that's got to be a pretty severe case of tinworm or is that just how these cars are?? Luckily mine isn't too bad. I always imagined these to break traction to easy what's it like using it for grip stuff?? What power and diff is this running?? Great work all the same

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    You keeping or selling your sparco wheels?
    Keeping. I love them for their motorsportness! Shame they have the road tyres on. Id like to put the semi slicks on them but im too tight to pay to have 2 sets swapped over and balanced.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alexs14a View Post
    Just read this gem of project thread that's got to be a pretty severe case of tinworm or is that just how these cars are?? Luckily mine isn't too bad. I always imagined these to break traction to easy what's it like using it for grip stuff?? What power and diff is this running?? Great work all the same
    Thanks. I think it was that rusty because being a silvia, it wasnt seam sealed underneath like uk cars. Most S14's will have rust on them now if you go looking for it.

Grip.... its surprising how good it is with just coilovers on. It also has poly steering rack bushes, tension arms and rear subframe collars. Everything else is standards. Traction... its only around 240bhp, and 9J tyres, so its good unless its wet. Standard diff.

Going to be getting a 1a chip soon so should get up to 280bhp ish

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Auto View Post
    Keeping. I love them for their motorsportness! Shame they have the road tyres on. Id like to put the semi slicks on them but im too tight to pay to have 2 sets swapped over and balanced.
    Shame I'd have brought them

theres only the Sparco Pista but there just not as nice

Rides
    They are also in a great size for s14's 9j 17" et 15

Rides
    The Kaks will look great on your car. Glad you're not selling the Sparcos though
    Last edited by Quail; 29-12-2011 at 11:02.

Rides
    Lol at the Aga drying booth, that's like using Harrods shopping bags for aldo shopping!

Rides
    Awesome work on the tyres, this will be amazing, might catch you in germany in May/June if you are about

Rides
    Got the tyres on.

All that hard work, and i dont like them! Look ok in the sun, but the rest of the time they just look a bit dull.

Rides
    Jim what are talking about they look lovely on the car

Rides
    I think I know what he means... they look great in the 2nd and 3rd pics but just a little dull in the 1st...

still look great tho, better than when they were white!

Rides
    It'll look better when its lowered more. Ive been keeping it high, as i live down a bumpy lane. Now its run out of insurance, and will be towed to trackdays, i can drop it really low.

Rides
    Black wheels suited it a lot more IMO, the picture of you on track looks perfect, so much do it's my desktop wallpaper!