Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: S14 Trackslag, Rust Repairs, Cage, Brembo's, ABS and Aircon Delete

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JC SX View Post
    Black wheels suited it a lot more IMO, the picture of you on track looks perfect, so much do it's my desktop wallpaper!
    I do agree, a darker colour like Anthracite/gun metal would suit it better.

But either way looks lovely

Rides
    What always amazes me is your attention to detail and the fact you live down the worst country lane road surface ever imaginable. I nearly beached my E30 going down there.

Shame I can't come round for bits anymore start breaking e39 5 series!

Rides
    Great thread well done mate, need to do my arches soon

Rides
    The car is now stage 1a. Not driven it yet as ive got into drifting and bought myself an e36 to practice in!

Rides
    Taking this to Snetterton on Sunday

Rides
    Took the car to Snetterton yesterday. Car was going quite well, and i was getting used to the semi slicks, then loads of oversteer from coolant getting on the rear tyres, water temp up, smoke out the exhaust. Coasted into the pit lane and pushed it into the paddock. Took the plugs out and could see water in number 1 so either the head gaskets gone or the heads cracked. So my day was done by early afternoon. At least i have a trailer to get it home on.

Spent all day pulling the engine and box out of the car. Got the inlet manifold off and the turbo and exhaust manifold off. Ill pull the head off tomorrow and see whats going on.

Rides
    Ah that sucks dude. Water was your set-up for cooling?

Rides
    I had that expensive pink coolant, a big 50mm ally rad, oil cooler, low ish boost, and the standard viscous fan and ducting. Oh and a big front mount. Dont know why its blown?

Rides
    gee that sucks :-(

themostate failed?

what water temp gauge you using?

Rides
    Im going to check the thermostat later. The water pump bearings feel ok, but ill pull it off and check it. Also i have a VDO aux water temp gauge fitted in line in the top rad hose. It was up to 120C before i noticed it. Dash cluster said just over mid way! There was still lots of coolant in the rad and water hoses when i removed them so thats good.

I pulled the head off this morning. The gasket has gone between number 1 cylinder and a water way. Doesnt look too bad, so im going to get it skimmed then put it back together. 1 stupid and annoying thing is that ive mixed up the order of the rocker arms, and have no way of telling which one went where. Just going to have to place them on and make sure they are flat and level. They all look in mint condition, and so do the cams, so i dont think it will be a big problem. Its just annoying!

Rides
    That sucks but at least it doesn't look too bad.

Really do love your car

Rides
    Just read this from start to finish, loved every bit. One question, how do you get your testicles into your underwear/trousers when you get dressed in the morning? They must be HUGE to be so brave as to hack that much metal out & then still manage to put it all back together, big respect for that!

Shame about the head gasket fail but onwards & upwards as they say...

Good luck dude!

Subsrcibed!

Rides
    Thanks guys

Just been messing with the engine again. I had a closer look at the block where the gasket failed and i found bad stuff! It looks like there is corrosion to the cylinder walls at the top on the exhaust side of the engine. Its worse on bore 1 (where the gasket failed) but its also on bore 2 and a tiny bit on bore 3, nothing on bore 4. There is also the same corrosion on the top of piston 1, and on the underside of the head in combustion chamber 1.

I have no idea if this is repairable or if i should be looking for a new engine?

Cylinder and piston 1

Cylinder and piston 1 again

Cylinder wall 2

Rides
    Hmm, yea that doesn't look good but imno expert so can't comment on the consequences of contuniuing to run the car with those pistons once its all back together.

A head skim could remove the pitted surface on the head if it isn't to deep. Again, pistons with pitting like that could be a place for high heat spot concentration which could cause further damage.

Could skim the head, see if it removes pitting, if all ok, then drop the bottom end and replace piston heads. Again, at the time could upgrade if you wanted to to forged items etc.

Had the car been sat along time and not started much? Could be corrosion that cuased the initial pitting.

Rides
    Im not sure what im going to do with it at the moment.

My friend who knows lots about these thinks its because the car has run lean causing high egts of the exhaust side. Cyl 1 is always worst hit. Apparently it gets progressively worse on each cyl going forwards. So the high exhaust temps, which havent caused det (as i was running low boost and a good chip) have eroded the material. The head should be ok with a skim, but the block it passed it.

Rides
    A few photos of the car before the head gasket went. Was just starting to get the tyres worn in. Bummer. Car definitely needs lowering more, and i need to roll the front arches as on opposite lock i ****ed an arch lip and munched a fair bit off the tyre.

Rides
    Looks awesome out on track... exactly how S-bodies should be used (or going sideways).

Hope you get the engine sorted!!

Thread subscribed

Rides
    Looks truly amazing! i have a confession to make, i dont like the s14(just the 14a).

However, this is first s14 i like, not only like either, i love it!

Amazing work, amazing car and looks great on track!

Rides
    Great pics as ever!

Thats a ashame about the engine.

The pitting on that piston looks a but like det... OR, hydro lock, if a small amount of water was entering into the cylinder while running. But the fact that it went through the fire ring kinda suggests a bit of det helped this. Maybe a dyno session when its back running again to make sure its not running lean?

Its hard to make out - does the corrosion to the top of the block face go right from the cylinder wall, or is the liner itself intact? If the liner is still intact, I'd be tempted to risk using that engine again. If its not, then your HG will only keep blowing fire rings there since thers nothing to seal it properly.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.j View Post
    Looks truly amazing! i have a confession to make, i dont like the s14(just the 14a).

However, this is first s14 i like, not only like either, i love it!

Amazing work, amazing car and looks great on track!
    This is my friend Karans car. It was at Snett that day too. Its my favourite s14. Here is his build thread

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drif...ay-car-10.html