Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Budget.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Silane View Post
    That's exactly what they're doing though, hence the cuts enforced last year.

Without sounding rude, I don't think you quite know what you're moaning about, if you do you're not exactly willing to say what it is for some reason?
    Not sounding rude at all.

I'm talking about the 1p reduction in fuel is pathetic. whereas some others seem to get the impression it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    I'm talking about the 1p reduction in fuel is pathetic. whereas some others seem to get the impression it's the best thing since sliced bread.
    I don't think anyone is saying it's the best thing ever.

More the fact that it's better than it being increased further. Can't argue with that?

No, 1p isn't much but it's better than nothing.

Rides
    That's fair enough.

Rides
    Lol,shocker - government cuts fuel duty causes outrage on t internet

Can i ask again please, where the fecking hell is the money coming from to cut say 10p a ltr from, or 15p or 20p....

Where

There is no fecking money, did you look at those graphs on the previous pages

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    Lol,shocker - government cuts fuel duty causes outrage on t internet

Can i ask again please, where the fecking hell is the money coming from to cut say 10p a ltr from, or 15p or 20p....

Where

There is no fecking money, did you look at those graphs on the previous pages
    Bankers

Rides
    I'm still to see an alternative to reducing fuel duty by the way.
    scrap every benefit thats dished out to anyone, regardless of their situation, that seemed to make up a pretty big slice of the pie... EDIT- 3rd world aid sounds like a big chunk of cash too.

Without wanting to sound personally insulting- how the fudge do you get into a situation where £10 per week would make a BIG difference to your finances

Rides
    Bankers
    No need to swear

Found some info on t interwebs saying each penny on duty for fuel is worth circa 500million quid to No11.
    Thats a fecking lot, that 10p drop is hard to imagine - even harder for 15-20p.

Here is a thought, how about hammering air travel more, not commercial (ie freight or stuff like that) but consumers, joe public instead...
    What about a tax on LCD TV's or a big winner would be Apple products, could wipe the debt slate clean with a couple of years of 25% tax on that shit.

None of its nice is it.

Rides
    Loving the tax on apple FPMSL

Rides
    Sorry O/T again...

Quote Originally Posted by ronsterw View Post
    which part of the bankers action do you defend??
    Well just about all of the day to day stuff, providing leverage and so forth - accelerating wealth. Without which the UK wouldn't be so affluent. We'd all still be 16th century peasents. People say we are hard up in this country but try putting your salary into this - You'll be surprised:

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

I'm top 1 percent, at not much over 27k.

Yes we had the subprime stuff in America, the banks may have taken advantage but really at the end of the day the customer signed the bloody contract whether they were idiots or not, take some self responsibilty. Everything is in the small print, most people are too lazy to read it. I am most times, but fair cop if i get caught out - i signed the bloody thing. Hate all this blaming 3rd parties, oh tough childhood, let down by the education system etc. Oh for gods sake Man Up!

If people took some time to understand economics and investments they'd be much better off.

People queing at Northern Rock in this country. Most people would have been under the insured limit for example, but instead we act like scared stupid sheep, same human factors that affected the stock market. The systems never going to be perfect as people are involved. Making sometimes good, sometimes bad decisions.

On the whole they do a good job, I'd rather have them in the UK paying some tax than abroad. I don't mind the odd bit of evasion, don't mind rife tax evasion. I'm sure everybody would do it if they knew how, legal loop holes. Forget all the good just remember the bad. No different than some builder doing a job for cash for example (well thats not legal I suppose!).

Even if they pay 3% on a crap load of money when they should pay 6% it's still a lot of dosh. Better the devil you know again.#

On topic...

I think the budget is pretty good. Like to see corperation tax down.
    Last edited by Bayside Blue; 23-03-2011 at 17:55.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    None of its nice is it.
    none of it comes close to taxation on fuel .... how many TVs have you bought in the last 3 years ... and how much fuel have you purchased in 3 years ?

If you want big money, you have to hit EVERYONE where they spend the most money

And guaranteed income will be road travel, food, heating, VAT and national insurance / tax

whack them up and the pennies will come rolling in ... along with the riots

Rides
    No none of it comes close to fuel and the other big taxes, not even close.

Moneys got to come from somewhere, some bodys got to pay.

Its either that or we cut costs, welfare and NHS are two massive drains on £££s and for what?
    NHS could easily save a few bob and as for the 200billion flying out the door for welfare - well there has to be savings in there somewhere - even ten percent would be welcome.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    fuel duty cut by 1p per litre.........wow
    its relative though, i put in between £30-£60 per day, thats a fair amount of saving for me, would rather a reduction than an increase

Rides
    Unfortunately we dont have a government with the balls or foresight to actually start restructuring things, looking at it from a fresh prospective.

prime example, the police force- something i know a little bit about. I could give 10 things that could be revised nationwide that would bring humungous savings, but no they attack pay. they bring in a lawyer and rail regulater to do the review why not use somebody who has been part of the force either home or abroad.

I bet that could be duplicated in every area of public office, the amount of waste and beaurocracy is absolutely staggering. at the moment theyre all being asked to do the same things with less money it doesnt work. they need to compleyely change the way they work.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janus View Post
    its relative though, i put in between £30-£60 per day, thats a fair amount of saving for me, would rather a reduction than an increase
    mate even at £60 a day thats only approximately 66p a day. a saving, but barely worth anything. thats going to be soaked up in increases VEL.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    But they are trying it with the NHS Prior, giving budgetary control back to the GP's etc. and the whole NHS is asking how they are supposed to do it - a lot of GP Practices dont actually own the building they work from, how are they supposed to fund the roof over their heads if nothing else.

Problem is that all of these bloated public services have become so dependant on their bloatedness that you can't just strip it away or you are going to leave massive gaps everywhere. Everything is interlinked and dependant meaning you cant just remove individual pieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    But they are trying it with the NHS Prior, giving budgetary control back to the GP's etc. and the whole NHS is asking how they are supposed to do it - a lot of GP Practices dont actually own the building they work from, how are they supposed to fund the roof over their heads if nothing else.

Problem is that all of these bloated public services have become so dependant on their bloatedness that you can't just strip it away or you are going to leave massive gaps everywhere. Everything is interlinked and dependant meaning you cant just remove individual pieces.
    they arent trying it. Giving a G.P the purse strings isnt going to detach from the fact that they need to manage a budget running the old systems and services. everything needs to be dismantled and restructured with no prejudice on the way things used to be done.

police for example- every force has a unique uniform, uses completely different cars, batons, pepper spray, weapons, air support. the list goes on. centralise all the things that are key in a police force and the savings are enormous. Buildings are usually specially built but rented from private companies. often the companies cut corners so the building arent adequate and new ones have to be rented elsewhere or specially built extentions.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    police for example- every force has a unique uniform, uses completely different cars, batons, pepper spray, weapons, air support. the list goes on. centralise all the things that are key in a police force and the savings are enormous.
    This makes a lot of sence, bulk buying saves cost. Same with the NHS with their ambulances. There are probably about 10 different Ambulance types, all doing the same things at my local A&E (im on the road into A&E, i see all of them) from Ford, To Merc, and Peugeot.

Surely if everyone government thing in that way had the same vehicle, huge costs would be saved?

But at the end of the day, we also caused a lot of the problems witrh money, by being greedy with it years back. Im just being more careful with what I spend, reduced my outgoings by £200 a month already, and still living life very similar to how I was, its being clever with what you have.

Rides
    Prior - The part you just wrote about buildings made me laugh

Abingdon Police station is one such station, privately owned and maintained. It makes me chuckle more in the fact that its also one of the two TVP control rooms AND one of the few operational custody stations at the moment. Not only that the police have funded an extension onto this station that they dont own to double the size of the current custody suite! When there are a dozen police stations that still have a custody suite and arent used!!!

Witney/Didcot/Chipping Norton and the list goes on, there are at least 5/6 others that have cells still - But instead of renovating these, the police have decided to finance the abovementioned project on a building they dont even own

Whats more, If someone is arrested out towards oxfordshire - Our boundaries go almost down to lechlade - they're taken back to oxford/abingdon! Which is a 40+ mile roundtrip

Witney custody being open would imho majorly reduce the overall costs of the vehicle fleet for a start (tvp area anyway)

Rides
    You only had to watch the breakfast news this morning to gauge why this country is in such a mess. All the 'e-mails and messages' that were read out were of the 'wow, 1p duty cut, whoop de do, all the supermarkets put the price up yesterday anyway'.

FFS .

First, it's actually a 6p cut in real terms. Yes, we had the VAT rise but it's STILL cheaper than if those fcuking idiots who were last in power had stayed in power.

Secondly, taking a pop at the supermarkets. Really? REALLY? So the government now has control over how much the supermarkets charge do they? Honestly, how stupid exactly are these people?

Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    police for example- every force has a unique uniform, uses completely different cars, batons, pepper spray, weapons, air support. the list goes on. centralise all the things that are key in a police force and the savings are enormous. Buildings are usually specially built but rented from private companies. often the companies cut corners so the building arent adequate and new ones have to be rented elsewhere or specially built extentions.
    Add to that something I've mentioned before. Why are there so many different bin colours across the country and why does each county have a different idea of which colour box holds which item? All it needed was, say, a dozen different colour boxes to be manufactured and the appropriate ones shipped out to each council. Instead, each council probably hired it's own set of 'advisors' to decide which colour they would have for their region .

EDIT : Oh and one final thing. Personal mileage allowance has gone up 5p to 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles. That's worth £500 to me and anybody else doing 10,000 miles for work with a non-company car (the remaining 8000 miles I do is still at the old 25p rate, so no extra saving).
    Last edited by Cluck; 24-03-2011 at 09:38.

Rides
    Problem is Cluck, the vast majority in this country simply do not understand politics and most struggle to manage there own finances let alone come to grips with a countries.

And we let them all vote ever few years Democracy has a downside