Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prep & Paint or Gloss Wrap in Black?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosseef Hussain View Post
    Just a thought as to what would give me a nice black shine and what I would realistically pay for it.

Looks like I'll be saving the pennies and prep the car myself, Then send it off for paint and lacquer.
    Paint all the way. How about Pirates Black? Now that'd look interesting on a 13

Rides
    Yeah, I think I saw someone with a pirates black S13 on here fresh out the oven and that's what inspired me to follow suit.

Rides
    even on the youtube vid the finish of the wrap doesn't look anywhere near as good as decent paint. I just had a full respray which has cost £3k and that's a mate's rate, the paint was more than £300 so have no idea how anyone can do a decent job for that... if you can have it painted for that (or anything less than £2k) and it be a good finish then plough right in!

Rides
    Zeppellin101's car is Pirates Black.

Rides
    I'm having my shell resprayed in the summer, it's going to be around the 3k mark but the paint isn't cheap, wk0 pearl White works out about £600 to do the car

Rides
    Anyone got any pics of them in high gloss black S13's only though as I'm not a fan of 14's. (Apart from the Top Secret 800bhp one).

Rides
    If you can get your car painted for £300 "with no orange peel" how much do you think you could get it wrapped for?
    As an aside, decent (not the best quality) lacquer costs from £500 for 5 litres, plus activator...
    I'd expect (proper) paint to be much more durable and retain a better gloss than a wrap.

Rides
    Paint your car.

Don't wrap it.

Simples

Rides
    after getting advice from lots of people with paint experience... dude go for white its much more forgiving to apply! i have spent £114 on 2k diamond white kit and 50 on primer from jawal paints in stirchley the bloke reckons i could paint 2 cars with what ive got!
    ive just painted my engine bay and its come up really well considering its not even in a booth.
    got the car to do next eeekkkkk!!!

i wonder if anyone can spot my sneaky lil mod aswell?

Last edited by rearwheelsteer; 20-03-2011 at 14:29.

Rides
    if you get some good coach paint and a foam roller you should get a very good finnish once its been wet polished..

just make sure you do it inside, not in the garden like me, and give the paint a couple of weeks to harden properly before you polish it

Rides
    Don't forget that at least 50% of the quality of the finish will depend on the quality of the prep. If its your first time prepping a car for paint, I think you'll be disappointed in the result so don't take it out on your mate. He'll only be able to work with what you give him.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by rearwheelsteer View Post
    i wonder if anyone can spot my sneaky lil mod aswell?
    You've cut the headlamp panels. Is it an S14 that you're fitting the later front to, or its for a front mount?

Rides
    my cars wrapped, im not even sure u can get a really glossy black in vinyl anyway, it'll never be as shiney as paint, all depends how fussy you are

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
    You've cut the headlamp panels. Is it an S14 that you're fitting the later front to, or its for a front mount?
    Fmic dude I've had a mate weld a couple of tabs in the bottom of front panel you can probably just make out, shall sit nicely bolted under slam panel now out of harms way with uber short pipe

Rides
    ive had 3 cars blew over now.
    the first cost me a crate of beer.
    the second cost me £200
    the third cost me £300 but was a full respray door shuts/behind rear bumper/wings off etc..in metalic.
    i prepped all of them and supplied the paint for the last two.

no way on earth id pay 2-3k id be scared to drive the thing.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    ive had 3 cars blew over now.
    the first cost me a crate of beer.
    the second cost me £200
    the third cost me £300 but was a full respray door shuts/behind rear bumper/wings off etc..in metalic.
    i prepped all of them and supplied the paint for the last two.

no way on earth id pay 2-3k id be scared to drive the thing.
    Yep same as me and all the rest of my mates and team members. 300 is the blow-over price if I do the prep and fillering etc.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tomo1 View Post
    even on the youtube vid the finish of the wrap doesn't look anywhere near as good as decent paint. I just had a full respray which has cost £3k and that's a mate's rate, the paint was more than £300 so have no idea how anyone can do a decent job for that... if you can have it painted for that (or anything less than £2k) and it be a good finish then plough right in!
    Seconded I got a qoute from a mate of mine last year just out of interest and it was £2400 ,thats a proper job ,glass out ,door shuts the whole shbang and that was with modifications to the front bumper for extra intercooler airflow. Lot of money but if you want it right then its the only way .

Good luck .

Rides
    Mine's wrapped I like it, but if it's a proper glossy finish you're after you'll be wanting paint

Rides
    2-3k for a paint job!!!!!!! you must be insane or get paid too much lol

i'm planning on painting mine, myself for about £200 lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by lozza View Post
    2-3k for a paint job!!!!!!! you must be insane or get paid too much lol
    No, that's the going rate for a quality job at customer rates from a good spray shop.
    You can't compare it with a 'I did the prep myself' or a 'my mate did it for a bag of skunk and an apple pie' job.