Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twin scroll CAs

Rides
    here is My , eBay manifold - GT2860RS and you can see how close compression housing to engine mount.

maybe you realise it before , there is no T3 lange low mount manifold on eBay . all T3 maniolds are Top-Mount type.. 28 compression housing is limit for low mount i think

Rides
    you don't need to worry too much, the engine mount can have a fair amount hacked off before it reduces strength - about an 3cm was cut off mine to low mount the 2876.

zeppelin, one of the things to be careful with methanol is it causes corrosion of aluminium. it's also hygroscopic, so will corrode any steel containers it's in.

plus, i thought you could only run pre-turbo WI if you didn't run an intercooler, otherwise the intercooler acts as a condenser and it drops out of suspension - i might be wrong as i've never tried it.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    you don't need to worry too much, the engine mount can have a fair amount hacked off before it reduces strength - about an 3cm was cut off mine to low mount the 2876.

zeppelin, one of the things to be careful with methanol is it causes corrosion of aluminium. it's also hygroscopic, so will corrode any steel containers it's in.

plus, i thought you could only run pre-turbo WI if you didn't run an intercooler, otherwise the intercooler acts as a condenser and it drops out of suspension - i might be wrong as i've never tried it.
    Yep, I have read a little into it already and heard of some of the pitfalls. Realistically I need to find a few different people who have run the setup for a substantial length of time to get a representative idea of its effects.

The WI thing is something I'm not too clued up on, I'm having a browse round the aquamist forums at the moment to see what they are saying. It seems that you can run an intercooler but it will eventually be a hindrance - at what point this happens I really don't know. But everything I've read so far coupled with what I've learnt doing my degree says that there are massive benefits to be had by it and I would love to prototype something and get a back-to-back IAT comparison between a conventional setup, then one with WI + intercooler and a third with WI and no intercooler. It doesn't even seem that tricky to implement really so I see no reason not to give it a punt when the time becomes available

Rides
    if you are going to use custom manifold , make it top-mount.

+ less turbo compression housing heat
    + more space for cooling the block
    + better spool rpm
    + easy to install - uninstall intercooler pipes etc.

- need new oil and water lines
    - very close to brake westinghouse
    - need new intercooler lines

its better to take turbo away from block . i hate my turbo manifold , but i don't have time for making a new custom manifold.

here is my opinions and suggestions for you . that's all i can say

Rides
    I think WI isn't more widely used because people have tried using crude systems and had fairly drastic differences in results.

if it's done well with a good controller and a nozzle that atomises it properly, i can't see any problems with it. from what I remember, Jez has used it but had difficulty making it work reliably, probably worth seeing what the specifics were.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Is it possible to weld a SR20 flange to an evo manifold too?
    Are the exhaust port spacings are nearly identical too?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawn_CA18 View Post
    if you are going to use custom manifold , make it top-mount.
    I would see what the Evo manifold fits like first before looking into getting a custom manifold - I can't see a custom twin scroll mani being at all cheap

It would be top mount though, without question were it to come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    I think WI isn't more widely used because people have tried using crude systems and had fairly drastic differences in results.

if it's done well with a good controller and a nozzle that atomises it properly, i can't see any problems with it. from what I remember, Jez has used it but had difficulty making it work reliably, probably worth seeing what the specifics were.
    That's my understanding too People hear the benefits of something and try and do it in the most pikey way possible I'll have to speak to Jez about that at some point then if he's already trialled it.

With a bit of thought and some more knowledge, it should be quite easy to piece together a kit. It's determining the pressure to achieve good atomisation with a specific size nozzle which needs some time. As far as I can gather having read about it most of the morning, 10-15 microns is around ideal, and could in fact go with a larger droplet size with almost no downsides within reason.

Rides

Rides
    I've not measured port spacing.

Bore to bore spacing
    CA18DET 91.5mm (measured on MLS gasket)
    SR20DET 107mm (seen a claim that port spacing is 97mm so they could be offset inwards to reduce size of manifold). Also hit's that say ports are at same spacing as KA (suspect close enough with tape measure in yanky 1/8ths).
    KA24DE 96mm, 98mm, 96mm

Best I can make out 4G63 93mm on bore-bore and port-port. Claims about them having "tight" spacing (bore=85mm), 12mm is way better than CA's 8.5mm cylinder wall to cylinder wall. Need about 2.25mm inward joggle in the flange at outer ports to match mani to head.

Rides
    evo manifold,
    CA manifold
    grinder
    welder
    die grinder

job done

and cast turbo manifolds are steel so weld just fine with a mig, as long as its hot,

just awap the manifold flanges over, the evo turbo sits really close to the block so i dont see why it wont fit on a ca either

Rides
    I use WMI. Let me add loads of ignition advance for a given boost level. I tried pre-turbo injection also. Didn't make any difference to my setup, so I took it out and just kept the cold pipe injection.

Rides
    which evo mani would you use tho? there different between models i think?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
    I use WMI. Let me add loads of ignition advance for a given boost level. I tried pre-turbo injection also. Didn't make any difference to my setup, so I took it out and just kept the cold pipe injection.
    Interesting, were you still running with an I/C using the pre-turbo stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    which evo mani would you use tho? there different between models i think?
    Whichever one came with a TD05 16g attached, just to make things a little easier Need to find out which model that was and get on some Evo boards and see if I can nab me a bargain over the summer.

No idea what differences there might be between models...

Rides
    the manifolds are in 3 group for after market ones

1,2 and 3 are the same

4,5,6 are the same

7,8,9 are the same

iirc

im prity sure i have a TD05HR-16G6-9.8t that came of a mates evo 8 when he upgrade its only got about 20,000miles on it iirc i need to go have a look in the shed and see

Rides
    Cool! Quick search says that's from an Evo 7?

Looks like there is only ~20hp between the 9.8T and the 10.5T and I'm not aiming for insane numbers

Rides
    its differently off an EVO 8 GSR

Rides
    Interesting, were you still running with an I/C using the pre-turbo stuff?
    yeah, relatively small one though. Apex old school front of rad one. as per sig pic...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    -edit- VF36 looks quite interesting. Twin scroll and titanium turbine wheel = super spool! The flange looks properly retarded though, would take up a lot of space.
    Ive got one of those going on my CA

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross_mac View Post
    Ive got one of those going on my CA
    I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it

Rides
    whats the stock t25 spool up at? its been that long from when i last drove a stock one i cant remember. I only want 250-280hp around H-dev stage 2 setup and was thinking of just getting a hybrid t25 to do the job but if im going to get better spool from the evo twin scroll i will have a go at fitting that.