Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twin scroll CAs

Rides

Twin scroll CAs

Anyone other than George with his Evo turbo running one with a 3071 or something similar?

Interested in how response is improved compared to a similar sized ordinary setup on the CA.

Shame there are no off-the-shelf solutions really!

Rides
    Got one but different brand and size. Makes a good difference in spool. Earn some 500-1000 rpm combined with a good 1+4 and 2+3 manifold.

Rides
    thats quite a big turbo. you always post pics with your relies, im interested in your project build if you got one? where is it?

also, i remember reading a thread about someone trying to use a twin scroll from a scooby on here, they fabricated a manifold, but im not sure if they got round to using it. try a quick search, you may find it. il have a look too

Rides
    It'll be the link in his sig lol. Be prepared for major pictures and to be very, very jealous .

Rides
    shogun, your turbo is insane. I couldn't even imagine running something that size on anything under 3l, nevermind a 1.8

I quite like the look of the Evo setup but wary of second-hand turbos really. Looking around for something of a similar size but Garrett only make the GT30 and above with twin scroll housing by the looks of it.

Rides
    Smallest I've heard of is Toyota 20G, need steel and avoid ceramic wheel.

TD05HR 16G some but not all, odd shaped flange and holes. Would a a real PITA to match with a fabricated manifold.

Holset HX35.

I don't think anything from Garrett below a T3 flange is twin scroll. Can get a twin scroll GT28RS but the turbine isn't Garrett.

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    I'd like to see what an IHI Vf34 running 2+ Bar of boost would do on a CA.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanhands View Post
    I'd like to see what an IHI Vf34 running 2+ Bar of boost would do on a CA.
    Seem to be equivalent to a 28RS, if not a little bit bigger from what I can gather?

Reckons knocking around 340-350 on an EJ20 with a good tune so figure a little less on a CA.

-edit- VF36 looks quite interesting. Twin scroll and titanium turbine wheel = super spool! The flange looks properly retarded though, would take up a lot of space.

tbh I'm thinking of ways of getting into the early to mid 300s while still getting early spool and little to no lag so that sounds pretty decent to me really.

I know the later MR2 turbos pull up to the 300hp on the 3SGTE and are on full boost before 300rpm or so. At least, that was the case with my mates one. Not quite big enough for what I'm after though.

A bit of a shame the aftermarket has died on its arse for the CA really Definitely think twin scroll is the way to go for a highly responsive 350-400hp or more though. Not interested in turbos that are on full boost at 5.5k and build all their boost in 500rpm

The obvious answer is get some more displacement but then I'd be looking to go nasp for uber throttle response tbh
    Last edited by zeppelin101; 07-03-2011 at 23:14.

Rides
    i remember reading somewhere that the twinscroll evo manifolds can be adapted to the ca as the runner spacing is very similar just needs the head-manifold flange changing

Rides
    That's true.

A lot of people running evo turbos on the CA just buy a cheap evo manifold off ebay and make a CA flange to weld onto the head side as the exhaust port spacings are nearly identical.

I wish I'd known this before I made a manifold from scratch.

edit: and the TD05HRA 16G6 10.5T is a good match for the CA if you're only looking for 350-400bhp.

Rides
    Thanks for chiming in George! That sounds mighty promising. The Evo setups go ludicrously cheap on ebay too.

How does yours perform? I read your thread not so long back but I cannot remember what it said for the life of me

Is the "10.5T" the turbine housing size?

I like the sound of those actually, sounds almost ideal.

Although that's a HR not a HRA, which sounds like it has an inconel wheel and shaft rather than Ti.

Just need a handle on how they spool. Although, I would probably be doing everything I could to improve spool. See earlier post about late spooling, hard kicking turbos
    Last edited by zeppelin101; 08-03-2011 at 15:30.

Rides
    After following George's thread, when he still updated it, I was dead set on going this route. Finding the turbo started becoming a problem as it would seem there are no local suppliers.
    Also I couldn't quite figure out just what evo manifold I needed to get hold of.

Rides
    the HKS GT-SS has got to be a good pick for a low lag 300-320hp turbo.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    Thanks for chiming in George! That sounds mighty promising. The Evo setups go ludicrously cheap on ebay too.

How does yours perform? I read your thread not so long back but I cannot remember what it said for the life of me

Is the "10.5T" the turbine housing size?

Just need a handle on how they spool. Although, I would probably be doing everything I could to improve spool. See earlier post about late spooling, hard kicking turbos
    That's the compressor map I used when I initially chose the turbo, the HRA is just a little bit faster spooling than that, but it has the same top end.

The 10.5 is the inlet housing size, it's actually quite physically small, but don't be fooled it can pump a fair bit of air.

The initial spool is very good with 15psi coming round at about 3K revs on my set up and there isn't any noticable lag between gears.

You could improve the spool further if you were to shorten the runners a bit, but you would sacrifice a bit of top end.

The HRA with the Titanium shaft is supposed to be good for 200rpm faster spool on the Evos, but I have heard tales of them being more fragile than the HR.

Rides
    1 bar at 3k sounds pretty much ideal. I imagine with a bit of headwork and port matching that could be brought down a little bit further.

I'll research the HRA a bit more as well I think. Keen on getting something that is pretty solid and reliable really so fragile components are a no-no.

Looks like I'll be getting myself on some Evo forums and things in the coming months to pinch some parts.

Thanks George

Rides
    I would like to see a EVO manifold adapted to the CA.
    I have a TD05HRA-10.5T-16g6 on a custom manifold and the space is so tight I highly doubth that an of the shelf EVO manifold would work in an S13.

You can't realy see it in the picture but the turbo is realy close to the engine mount and sits only mm from the turret.

Rides
    i would like to see some GTX series turbo on CA18 . i'm really wondering how it will effect on spool .

normal gt30 setup for ca18 with single scroll 4500rpm likely.

how about gtx30 on ca18det , maybe i can try someday

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawn_CA18 View Post
    i would like to see some GTX series turbo on CA18 . i'm really wondering how it will effect on spool .

normal gt30 setup for ca18 with single scroll 4500rpm likely.

how about gtx30 on ca18det , maybe i can try someday
    don't get too excited, the surge line on the GTX series doesn't seem to be as friendly to smaller capacity engines running high boost as the normal style wheels.

http://www.realstreetperformance.com...g2_itemId=1642

there's ways around it, rpm controlled boost and whatnot but it'd affect the spool/performance potential. with my GT2876R I was running very close to the surge line according to my plots, so any change would be a problem.

I think george's 1bar at 3krpm is v. impressive and if I were doing a CA again from scratch (instead of doing this ruddy expensive RB!), that's where I'd be looking.

BeerBringer - I'd imagine the space problem is why the people I've seen do it have topmounted. as you're LHD, the brake booster is in the way though.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    BTW,

about mounting the turbo , Even GT2860RS with ebay manifold is very close to engine mount. like 3-4mm or something .

if i go for a bigger turbo then mine 2860rs , sure i will try some top mounted twin scroll 30-71 or so.. But it's not suitable for drift driving as you know .

but idea is very good for EVO turbocharger . small twin scroll brilliant. also 1bar @3krpm is very good value . even on standart turbo with standart manifold and standart intercooler , you can't get 1bar 3krpm .

congratulations george

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawn_CA18 View Post
    about mounting the turbo , Even GT2860RS with ebay manifold is very close to engine mount. like 3-4mm or something .
    It has crossed my mind, albeit briefly, but I think "suck it and see" is the only way to get results here. From a cost stand point, running an evo manifold with a CA flange would be ideal but if a custom mani is required... so be it. Or just hack the firewall up and move stuff further back

I got a PM yesterday about petrol-meth mix to reduce spool time as well, so I will be investigating that and also probably pre-turbo WI as that *should* improve top end further too by extending the compressor map which would give a really nice wide power band.

I was about ready to sack off the idea of a CA for a chunky N/A motor pending having cash to keep hold of the car, but the potential is definitely there for something pretty awesome.