Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Twin scroll CAs

Rides
    I get 1 bar at around 3200rpm on mine. It was slightly higher with the shorter diff but around that with the standard 3.9.

I haven't driven her in ages though so I may be a little mistaken

I'm forming a bit of a plan out of this now just need to get some money together and pick some parts up to get things rolling. I think I'll probably try TB injection first and then once I'm happy with everything start trialling the pre-turbo stuff as I'm dead certain there are some really good gains to be had there, particularly if the turbo is running at the edge of the compressor map.

Rides
    hmm in that case its a close call but the evo turbo will run more power if i ever want it....

meh i mite as well try then lol

Rides
    ok so whats best to do regarding the manifold?

I've got an old CA s/s manifold that i can use the flange off.

do i try to use/mod the cast evo manifold or do i get a s/s evo manifold and mod that?

Edit:--

the turbo i have is a Evo 4 TD05HR-16G6-9T and i dont have the cast mani either so have gone and got an ebay one to try weld my s13 s/s flange one on to
    Last edited by Damo; 13-03-2011 at 23:03.

Rides
    I don't know how restrictive the Evo manis are, but they seem to max the standard turbos out on them for late 300s before moving on from what little reading I've done so far.

Might be worth dropping Gary@APT a PM or something, he has a lot of Evo experience.

Rides
    well i have ordered up/paid for an e-bay EVO manifold and Elbow for this turbo now so will be interesting to see how i get on in a few months time.

Rides
    Keep us updated

Rides
    I sent an e-mail off to Owen Developments (UK) Ltd last night to see if i could get the turbo looked at / reconditioned if need be (its been sat in the garage i have no idea how long) and to see if anything else i could do to get faster spool.

the reply is

You would need to send the unit into us so we can see what we can do and quote, as getting the piece parts for an EVO 4 turbo isn’t easy. There are some options we could do to the unit depending on the quality. I would estimate a maximum 3 week turn around for the turbo.

What we would normally recommend if it will fit is an EVO 9 turbo instead, but we can give you this option once your unit has been striped and inspected.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Scott Hawkins

Owen Developments (UK) Ltd
    28 Kingston Business Park
    Kingston Bagpuize
    OX13 5AS

Rides
    going to sell my turbo if any one wants it. going to stick with a stock ca set up in my ae86 for now

Rides
    I want it, but have no money until the summer. Did you send it off to Owen Developments in the end?

Rides
    no never sent it off to get looked at. its only done 50k so should be all fine tbh but it does have some play

Rides
    Like what you are trying to do, good stuff

My rebuilt CA made 1bar at 3950rpm, you can only really use dynos to be sure and accurate, the rev counters generally overread a lot... this is on a "Seb" manifold and GT2871R 0.64 52-trim with machined exhaust housing (350bhp on rebuilt engine at about 1.3bar)

I'd be impressed at 1bar by 3000rpm, it's not just the pressure that matters though, it's the volume and density of the air, even still 1bar at 3000rpm could see some serious low down torque, quite possibly too much for traction

Think I posted quite a few of my graphs at avarious stages, might be worth searching for to see spool for T25 on standard CA (stage 1 chip), T28H at stage 3 (custom map)
    Last edited by Chris B; 19-04-2011 at 22:56.

Rides
    There have been a couple of threads related to spool I've looked through and everything short of a T25g comes in quite late - but the 25g doesn't offer the extra kick I would like now I'm getting properly used to Stage 1 power.

Given that my turbo looks like it is on its last legs, I may give this a punt sooner rather than later on an unopened engine and see how it gets on

If you don't shift that turbo on any time soon Damo, I'll have it off you come ~June time hopefully!

I'm not really interested in getting it on the dyno as numbers don't interest me directly really - I'm far more interested in how the thing drives. Now I'm well aware that a more conventional setup could yield good results in that respect, but the thought of having the power waiting there at lowish revs with a quick spooling turbo appeals to me more than outright power and something laggier. The only other option I'd entertain would be a VQ35 or a V8 to get the same effect

The manifold and elbow are the only hurdles to begin with - everything else is pretty much a Stage 3 setup in terms of injectors, MAF etc etc and a custom map obviously.

If it works well I'll probably start looking into WI post-compressor to begin with and then maybe try a pre-comp setup when I can afford the tuning time it's likely to want to optimise the map and water flow/pressure/nozzle size etc
    Last edited by zeppelin101; 19-04-2011 at 23:31.

Rides
    Im getting 1bar @ 4000rpm on homemade twinscroll with china T3/T04E "p-trim" A/R 0.84 Turbine and 0.50 compressor

Rides
    Guys when you write about 1 bar @ 3000 or 4000 rpm, which gear do you mean? Cause my simple CA manifold from XSPower spools my Evo3 16G "Big" turbo to 1 bar at ~3200rpm in 5th but only after 4200 in 2nd. And this small turbo gets me 121mph in 1/4