Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gender cannot be used to discrimante for car insurance

Rides

Gender cannot be used to discrimante for car insurance

Just been announced on bbc news. Along with other things.Its very doubtful that men would get a reduction though Comes into effect 21st Dec 2012
    Last edited by karlF; 01-03-2011 at 07:54.

Rides
    I just heard men should be paying about 10% less and women 25% more.
    Just posted tha same thread in the insurance section

Rides
    Oh good ..... the other halfs insurance will go up .... thats another chunk less money for the year

Rides
    Great
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    gah bunch of flids

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude Dog View Post
    should
    Insurance companies like the word "should"

Rides
    Well they do want equal rights and the like. Why not equal car insurance too?

That one backfired a bit.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post

Lol QFT! It's funny, women go on about not being treated differently, yet here at Millbrook they get "Priority Parking Spaces" and what not too.

It just means everyone's insurance will go up soon lol

Rides
    thing is its got fook all to do with gender or discrimination

all this means is that they have to artificially adjust the costs that are based on a statistical balance of risk and that as a result women will be subsidising the cost of mens insurance

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    It just means everyone's insurance will go up soon lol
    It's already doing that, just to keep up with arry's salary

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    It's already doing that, just to keep up with arry's salary
    I've never liked him

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by The News
    The new rules will are effective from Dec. 21, 2012.
    So, it's going to be a while before we see any changes then

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post

I said that to the girlfriends mum last night - went down like a lead balloon

Rides
    It affects all insurance, so life cover for men will also go up and annuity rates for men will come down. Everybody loses, including the insurance companies who will spend millions implimenting this cobblers

Rides
    hopefully it wil lget away with the "woman only" insurance adverts like Shelia wheels. i hate that advert with more rage than the Hulk

Grrrrr

another article

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...1298942598153A

European judges have rewritten the rule book for insurance companies by banning risk assessment based on gender.

Using differences between men and women as a risk factor in setting premiums for car and medical insurance and pension schemes breaches EU rules on equality, declared the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg.

The verdict - which applies from December 21, 2012 - will force changes in the current standard practice across Europe of basing insurance rates on statistics about differing life expectancies or road accident records of the sexes.

It was immediately condemned as "utter madness" and a "setback for common sense" by Conservative MEP Sajjad Karim.

The Association of British Insurers estimates that the decision will actually reinforce price discrimination, with women drivers under 26 in the UK facing a 25% rise in car insurance rates, with a 10% drop in rates for fall for men.

Until now, discrimination in setting insurance rates has been explicitly permitted under EU equal treatment rules, "if sex is a determining risk factor... substantiated by relevant and accurate actuarial and statistical data".

But on Tuesday the judges followed advice from the court's Advocate-General that "higher-ranking" equality provisions set out in the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the Lisbon Treaty must now apply.

Insurance companies can carry on discriminating between the sexes until December next year - the time when current EU equality rules are due to be reviewed. The delay will also give insurance companies and risk assessors time to change the template for risk assessment by ignoring traditional statistical gender-based evidence.

The leader of Britain's Conservative MEPs, Martin Callanan, said: "The last Labour government is to blame for this. By signing us up to the Charter of Fundamental Rights in the Lisbon Treaty they have opened the floodgates to nonsense court rulings like this one."

Fellow Tory MEP Mr Karim said: "This ruling is utter madness. It is a setback for common sense."

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by FullMet***asket View Post
    I said that to the girlfriends mum last night - went down like a lead balloon

Rides
    also this is the shocking part of it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12600284

*snip

Nick and Emma are twins. They are 18 years old, so they suffer from the highest insurance rates

More than that, they each had three attempts at the driving test before passing. And they succeeded within weeks of each other.

They are as similar as drivers can be, apart from the difference in sex.

Yet when they fed their details into an online price comparison site, Nick's motor insurance quote was twice as high.

"I don't like it all," Nick says. "I think it's ridiculous that I have to pay double the amount she does when we're not actually that far apart in terms of driving ability."

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) argues that people get a deal which accurately reflects their situation.

The facts show young male drivers are most at risk of accidents on the road, so young women currently pay a lower premium for their car insurance," explains the ABI's Nick Starling.

The quotes that Emma and Nick received were for a 1.2 litre Vauxhall Corsa from 2003. They reflect the 58% increase in rates suffered by the 17-22 age group over the past year.

But while Emma's best quote was an uncomfortable £1,700, Nick's was an eye-watering £3,400.

"It does seem a bit unfair," says Emma. "But it's all right for me because I have to pay less."

Of course, if the ruling goes against her then, eventually, she would have to pay a great deal more.

Rides
    Can't we just tell the EU to fuck right off and be done with it?

Rides
    the whole thing is a load of toffee if you ask me. The whole point of insurance is to be discriminatory isnt it?

So to point out the obvious, how is discriminating because of sex, somehow different to discriminating because of age?

If a 40 year old and an 18 year old pass their test on the same day, they will also have different insruance quotes. This is ageist and no different to being sexist. So whats the point???? its just stupid, the whole thing, the EU can go cram it up their arse as far as im concerned, even if it does bring my insurance down (which it wont)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiruji View Post
    Can't we just tell the EU to fuck right off and be done with it?
    I like this.