Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project SilEighty

Rides

Project SilEighty

Heres my old girl, 1992 S13, brought her back in march 2013 as my first s chassis.

Completely standard, But Wasn't long before i started work on her.

First was a 3inch Cat back

Walboro 255 Fuel Pump

Some little bits on the inside

Then i blew the rad, 2 days before my first trip to japfest in her, so fitting a driftworks 52mm rad

And not long after coolant reservoir split so fitted this one

And this was the last picture i took of her running before it came off the road, because of a blown bottom end. The Car in the shed is my friends 1986 Toyota Corolla

The rest of this thread is going to be of my complete rebuild from when it came off the road in June 2013, to now, so bear with me as i catch up xD

Rides
    So this is the day the engine Came out and the project gets well under way.

Once the engine was out and sitting on the engine stand in the shed waiting for parts, I got to work on the interior of the car only to find a fair bit of rust. i wont bore you with too many photo's of rust, you all know what a rusty nissan looks like, But it mostly consisted of, both sills in and out, both front inner arches, both rear arches, Boot lid, Drivers front Strut mount, drivers side front floor pan, and drivers side rear floor pan.

Rides
    some more pictures of previous progress.

Picture here of the engine stripped down to find all the bearings in pretty poor condition

Started put the engine back together with acl bearings in the bottom, all new gaskets, head rebuilt with new seals and vavle work, made sure everything was cleaned up,and gave it a nice lick of paint.

and repainted the engine bay to suit

also in the mean time, i've had all the rust repaired, and started sealing the arches and underneath the car.

While all that was going on, my origonal plan was to keep the pop ups, but a set of projectors came up for a price a couldn't refuse and decided to take the car down the sil80 route.

Rides
    Now we're getting closer to where we are now, Not long ago put the engine back in and started building it all back up inside the car

my buddy's s14a getting some upgraded parts fitted as well

Now to where we are as of today, There are alot more pictures i could have posted up till now, but i thought id just pick a few that best show my progress over the past year and a half, I've had. The engine specs are currently as follows, Rebuilt CA18DET, ACL race bearings, T28 Turbo with braided lines, Tubular Manifold, S14 elbow, s14 tiwn downpipe, 3 inch turbo back, walboro 255 fuel pump. Front mount intercooler, Im sure theres some bits im missing, But im aiming at a stage 2 at the moment, as i have plans in the future to build an sr20 for it. Heres the engine in now as it is today, Not quite running but not far off.

Plans for it now are as follows
    Sil80 front end, +25 vented wings, BN style Front bumper, Vented Bonnet.
    BN style Side skirts
    BN style rear bumper
    Tubbed and over fendered rear arches,
    BC racing coilovers
    5 stud conversion
    Brake Upgrade of some sort, braided lines
    XXR 527's or Rota Grids, 17' Looking around 9-10j width
    Roll cage fitted.
    Buckets and harnesses

There's a lot more to be added to that list, but Just as a general overview of whats to come in the next few months, Hope u guys are liking what been done so far, Im hoping to get this done before Japfest This year. Keep watching!!

Rides
    Looks good mate, like the purple bay

Rides
    cheers fella, thought i would try something a little different, I think with the car white and a purple theme running throughtout the car, it should look nice.

Anyways, a little more progress today, disspite the poor weather managed to make a start in plumbing in all new silicone hoses, vertually the whole lot. nice when the engine starts looking somewhat complete.

I just had to throw on the front bumper to see what it looks like

also while im here, could anyone enlighten me as to what this is

And also where does this go?

Rides
    I remember wondering where the bracket went when I rebuilt mine lol. IIRC it goes somewhere at the drivers rear of the engine. I think a gearbox bolt goes through a bolt hole. Hope that helps. I can't quite see the top pic properly, looks a bit like the air regulator.

Rides
    Ah thanks buddy, i've just had a sift throught what little photos i have of me stripping the engine down, can just about see the bracket on the back side of the inlet manifold, as for the top picture i think you might be right, It sits underneath the throttle body, wanted to know what it was called since my one has been poorly repaired at some point.

Rides
    just a little update.

My wings turned up in the post during the week so had to go out and test fit then, not sure on what make they are? Dmax perhaps? But either way a pain to fit, but look good all the same

Still needs abit of fine tuning to get the fitment spot on, but not a bad fit all the same

Then i have to throw the bumper up against it to see how it looks... Still waiting on my bonnet to turn up tho

next step is to get the headlights slotted in to see what i have to do to make brackets for my headlights next. she's getting there slowly.

Rides
    That 1st pic is cold start valve goes on inlet side of engine.
    The 2nd pic is a plenum support bracket that most throw away as it's a bit of Japanese over engineering that's not that necessary.
    Also easier to get to the starter without it.or it could just be a bell housing support bracket but again I never refitted them.
    Nice project by the way.

Rides
    Not much of an update but been on a little bit of a shopping spree, But due to poor weather not much has actually gone on with the car itself.
    I've brought all the remaining parts to get the engine running at last, Im hoping to have this running Next weekend.
    Japspeed turbo lines, Clutch Slave cylinder, turbo studs and a few intercooler pipe have been ordered, and all thats left to fit is Fuse box, ecu, turbo lines and powersteering pump and pipes, exhaust elbow and down pipe and she should live again after a year and a half of silence.

I also Managed to pick up these front hubs and brakes for a steal, also got rear hubs ready to go on

So im hoping in the next couple of months, i should have this ol girl moving under her own steam, and hopefully get a majority of the body work finish

Rides
    Got a bit more done this weekend, getting closer and closer to starting for the first time in 18 months, Just waiting on turbo lines still. But here's a little bit of progress from over the weekend.

Got the headlight brackets from nissan so got the head lights in, bumper needs some tweaking to get it to sit nice but its a start.

S14 Twin Down pipe and elbow fitted, Fits the the s13 catback like a glove!! xD

New clutch slave and hel braided clutch line fitted and bled up

So if it wasn't for the delay in turbo lines she would have started this weekend, but i finally feel like im getting somewhere with this!

Rides
    Looking good mate any idea what colour your'e going to paint it or is it a secret lol

Rides
    cheers dude, I've been changing my mind left right a center since i started, I'm pretty set with a metallic Black. Though other colors like bronze, or a metallic blue has been tempting lol!

Rides
    wow that was some serious rust!
    LOVE the engine bay colour
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    Ha, Yeah it wasn't pretty, there was a fair bit more than what the pictures showed, I Had a crack at it myself, but Felt i wasn't good enough at welding for it to last, so i palmed it off to a friend of mine at TFS racing.
    And thanks, I loved the color that much i was going to do the entire car that color but thought it would be a a bit much lol!

Rides
    Hi guys, sorry for lack of updates, but after 21 months of being silent, It's finally alive!!! A few cranks to get the oil pressure up, and then waiting for the fuel pressure to build up, first turn of the key and BOOM, No misfires no stuttering, no smoke. well chuffed!
    Only a quick video to show it lives, there's still a lot i need to do, Plumbing in the coolant, and some vac lines, which is why it running high on idle at the moment, but all is well!

http://vid257.photobucket.com/albums...53189773_n.mp4
    Last edited by madmike231; 03-03-2015 at 16:34.

Rides
    been quite busy recently, been waiting on a fair few parts to turn up, but the end is getting closer. This is what i been up to over the last few weeks

Cleaned up and gave the front brakes a nice coat of paint ready to go on the car

5 stud hubs going on, Getting the new ball joints in the lower arm was a pain, but all on there now.

Rest of my kit finally turned up,

Unfortunately the Side skirts are the shoddiest fit ever, They're about an inch to short. BN style from EPracing, i know they're remoulds but they should at least fit. so one more thing i will have to deal with that i wasn't counting on.

Got the back half of the interior all painted up and started getting the interior in. I liked the they way the carpet has turned out, Was origionally grey and filthy, Brought some dye and set about dying it, turned out really well, Not bad for £10

And then finally got a short shifter fitted, Gear throw on the box now is so much tighter and just feels great, Money well spent in that department.

Anyways, Just now need to sort out my brakes and plumb then in since i took out the abs and everything that went with it,
    Finish putting together my interior, wire in gauges, boost controller turbo timer etc
    source a ps13 bonnet, grill sidelights and front indicators.
    Should get my New wheels end of the month, Nice shiney new Rota Torques, Specs: Front, 17x9 et30, Rear 17x9.5 ET12
    Then its just a case of sorting out the body work completely and paint.
    So not far off now, Should hope to get it out and about by the beginning of june

Rides
    so, its been a while since i last posted, but have been really busy recently, and things are now starting to look up for the car!!
    so over the last month or so, i been trying to get the painting done, but being on the driveway, and refusing to pay rediculous amounts of money to get it done proffesionally, i decided to try myself, and so far its coming out alright. Am having to do panel by panel since i don't have anywhere but the drive way to do this!
    Loving the color myself, what do you gyus think!?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

also today, i got a lovely couple of parcels in the post, soo excited, i had to test fit right away!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Specs are, Rota Torque 17x9.5j et12 all round. even with the 30mm front fenders, i still got poke!!! Will be running. 215/45 tyres on the front and 225/45 on the rear. will have to camber the front more to get em to sit nice

and then finally, my s14 black leather seats turned up as well, so just had the throw them in, Loving how comfy they make the interior look!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]

Im hoping now that it shouldn't be too much longer until this is back on the road, but time will tell!!, really starting to come together now, hope you guys are liking!!!!

Rides
    The new colour's nice.