Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ae86 + ca18det = ca86

Rides

Ae86 + ca18det = ca86

To cut a long story short lost job s14 to expensive and ended up with a N2 AE86 corolla with the plan sell off all the good bits drop a stock 4age engine in and get it on the road and have some fun but working on it i found a bit of rust and its turned into a bit of a project in damo style.

How it looked a few years ago and why took it on / wanted it

When the 86 was dropped off and placed in my garage

stretch any one ?

New i had got a good bit or work on my hands...

I then started to do a bit of work on the rolla and came up with a to do list

to do shorted list...

fit front rear anti roll bars
    fit caster arms
    fit wire up horn
    fit engine and vems
    sort interior out

The Exhaust System

Interior pictures. I had cleared out the boot and 90% of the plastic in the rear!

sorry for crapy pictures using camera phone.

it came with a vems and loom that was ment to go on a AWT built engine that was not built lol

but then i picked up these OER / SK Sanyo ITB's

Last edited by Damo; 24-02-2011 at 11:02.

Rides
    So i got the car up in the air to take a look see under the car

it dont look good

and then started to fit the new bushes for the uprated roll bars

old vs new

cleaning out the car some more to have a look at the wiring and found a bit of rust/holes so sent it off to slidemotor sport to have the rust sorted and the car undersealed

Well Matt from slide took 2 hours out of his busy day to come pick the shell up. massive thanks bud

Slide Motorsport

and got on with sorting the rust which turned out to be really bad

He had also removed the current coilovers and had started to have a look round the rust... Dam it needs some work!!!

Rides
    I poped down to see liljoe and picked up the engine/box/ecu and loom. Basically everything out of the engine bay and then headed back up north to dropped it off with matt at slide motorsport.

We got the 4age on the engine stand as we are going to take a look at the crank & shells and fit new ones before it goes in the rolla just to freshen it up.

I then took a few pictures of what matt is doing on the rusty front arches

Drivers

Passengers

I got myself a set of these

and started to fit them up / had a look at the rear fitment of the DW coilovers

I had to drill out my topmount bushes as the hole was 2mm to small and was never going to fit onto the dw damper

and got drift wheels

Rides
    Now Matt is working hard on sorting the rust out at the min but its going to be costly so i had to sell the MK1 SSR alloys and the rear DW coilovers to help pay for the rust removal and I do have a load of other parts sat around here of which i'm having a sorted out selling 90% of it on as i dont need it for this project

so here are the pictures and the 4age stuff i now have or had / sold

20v block with bores to suit 12.5 - 1 pistons

20v crank polished and balanced

12.5-1 pistons

20v con rods. cam caps etc

2 x 4age 16v heads. 1 stock, 1 polished ported and bucket under shim setup for 10mm lift

Gaskets, and 2 sets of cam covers

Race Bearings

36-1 pulley and sensor

Cat Cams 296 o 12mm lift

Throttle bodies

formula Atlantic spec valves and guides

small port 235cc injectors

hks cam pulleys

toda cam pulleys

Rides
    and popped into Driftworks hq to pick up these

HKS 272in 288ex 8mm lift

I was so temped to build a proper 4age with 12-1 comp the hks cams running a 9k limit with the ITB's and vems all i need to do is buy a few bolts and i could do it but with the the silly amount of work the shell needs i decided it was a bad idea and put it all up for sale.

Rides
    Thanks to Matt from side again as hes dropping me photo messages to keep me in the loop on how hes getting on.

3 out of 4 archers are done at this point but both rear pockets are fudged well i dont have one on the drivers side its completely rusted away

Front rails still to weld up and rear rail next to fuel tank need doing too so the fuel tank has got to come off next. it looks like im going to be rolling on a stock engine for a good year at this rate but i will have a mint shell

Thanks to slide motorsport for doing all the welding and rust removal

oh and here is a picture of the rear alloys fitted that Matt sent me just last week

Rides
    So all this has happened over the pasted month and with me being me i have been looking at what i could do for power improvements. i have looked at loads of stuff with the 16v and 20v engines and turbos for them. Even looked a doing a F20c out of honda s2000 but everything i looked at was more that i could spend so i turned back to my humble stock 4age which is what i will be using for the time being....

Rides
    Fair play to you man, I'd have given up after seen that rot I think.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -Marc- View Post
    Fair play to you man, I'd have given up after seen that rot I think.
    i tell you what mate if it was not for Matt it would have been scrapped and cut up sold on for parts. Hes doing a shit load of work on her for not a lot of money in all truth.

slide motorsport

Rides
    Awesome little project man. I like your high compression 16v setup.

What version of 20 valve rods are you using though?

Out of intrest, how come you didnt go with the 20 valve blacktop head?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jod View Post
    Awesome little project man. I like your high compression 16v setup.

What version of 20 valve rods are you using though?

Out of intrest, how come you didnt go with the 20 valve blacktop head?
    Its what the prevues owner did / built tbh. 95% of the above parts came with the car but the shell is that bad with rust i'm selling it all on and just sticking the stock engine in for now.

I do have both back top and a AE92 complete bottom end so have both black top and silver top rods

Once the shell is sorted and the car is MOT'ed and on the road. I'm going to collect the SR conversion parts i need starting with buying a weir performance 28mm rear drive shaft setup/TRD 2way LSD so that it can take a HDev stage 1a setup with out killing the rear axle.

Next will be the jspfab engine and gearbox mounts and a SR complete setup. in between this i will get the little things i need like the mechanical speedo cable from a 280z, intercool, rad pipe work etc

Once i have all the parts i'm going to try do the swop in a weekend with help from Slide

Rides
    When you say you have a blacktop bottom end and a ae92 bottom end...

Are you getting mixed up between the ae92 16v "redtop" block to a 20v ae101 "silvertop" block?

The reason I ask is because you say your looking to be running high compression with 9k revs, unfortunately I can't see the blacktop 20v rods lasting if you plan to run them, they are very skinny and weak compared to all of the rods. It has been known for blacktops to throw rods at aleast 9k. Most high revving blacktops run silvertop rods or aftermarket.

I recommend you run silvertop 20v rods which are the same as the rods fitted to the 4agze. They can withstand revs you would be running and are pretty strong.
    I'm sure the ae92 redtop rods are even thicker than the silvertops, but I'm unsure what they are like at high rpm.

I apollogise in advanced if I'm telling you stuff you already know or if iv miss understood what your running.

Rides
    Its ok bud i dont mind mate but i'm selling it all on and so will never build the 4age but yeah i know about the black top rods being the weakest of the 4age rod types and the AE92 rods i have are the same as the silver top ones iirc but again i'm selling all that stuff off so it dont matter as it will never get used by me any how

I just cant fund the high comp 4age engine build at min and i need money to get the shell sorted. its all up for sale on DW and ae86irl the HKS and VEMS stuff has sold all ready
    Last edited by Damo; 23-02-2011 at 20:08.

Rides
    well i had been reading up on doing a SR86 conversion and found some info in the CA E86 and erm its a peace of piss to do. engine mounts just about line up. rb20 box with ca/sr bell housing fits the gear leave in the stock location. wiring is easy to sort.... i think this could be the route i now go just because of how easy it will be to do

Rides
    LOL well thats it just bought a CA18DET box, loom and ecu for my 86...

CAE86 here we come
    Last edited by Damo; 24-02-2011 at 11:30.

Rides
    Nice one, looking good liking the idea of a CA too, what sort of engine mods/power are you going for? Or is that just a wait and see type of affair? Cheers, Callum

Rides
    Hdev stage one setup running around 210bhp @ 5750rpm and 200lb ft @ 3500rpm ish that should be more that anuff in a 800-900kg AE86. will see how the rear axle holds up

Rides
    Fair enough, sounds like it should be enough in a car that weighs that little Good luck, hope all goes well. Subscribed

Rides
    This looks like it will be interesting, I look forward to seeing how it turns out

Rides
    Very interesting and some food for thought for myself will be following with keen interest