Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)

Rides

Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...printable=true

Its not a bad thing as its been running with the Swedes for years, as a bike rider i would alway switch my lights on anyway just to be seen & not knocked off.
    I know older cars are not affected but have seen a few "Chavs" in Corsa's & the like trying to look like Audi?

Rides
    Waste of time for me personally and In fact, studies carried out by the European Commission and the Department for Transport have both found that daytime running lights can reduce accidents and casualties during daytime hours. From those 2 I call woffle.

But tis the law so will be abided but will I feck be retrofitting.

Rides
    I really dislike the DRL's on my xc70, everyone who dosn't know flashes you thinking your somekind of knob who dosn't know there on.

would be better if the brake lights werent on in the day too, thats just silly, and hao the headlight switch does nothing, theyere on in the off position, so you can only switch to side lights

I fail to see how it makes you more visible in daylight they occasionaly dazzle other road users...

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Cars don't need them over here

I can see the point in some countries but not the UK.

I would think the Swede cars do due to their weather conditions. Day time but bad visibility

Rides
    Don't all Volvo's have thier sidelights on permenantly becuase where they are built always has shit weather?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by crouchy View Post
    Don't all Volvo's have thier sidelights on permenantly becuase where they are built always has shit weather?
    not side lights - Headlights

in the older ones like our old V70 it was just a small screw to turn on the button and it was sorted, but to turn them off in the XC its a £80 software update

Rides
    I certainly wont be updating the SX. A bike is different as it hurts when you get knocked off & i know from experience!!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    not side lights - Headlights

in the older ones like our old V70 it was just a small screw to turn on the button and it was sorted, but to turn them off in the XC its a £80 software update
    Yea £80 is a bit steep to turn off the lights

Rides
    Luckily on the 335 deep down within the I-Drive there is the option to completely switch off any form of DRL. Screw paying for a 'software update'!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzie View Post
    I certainly wont be updating the SX. A bike is different as it hurts when you get knocked off & i know from experience!!!
    Different ball game, its surprising easy to miss a bike on some stretches, I always try to remember to do second checks. Cars generally are what I think you notice subconsciously as you recognise it more as a fatal threat.

Rides
    Yay, so can we look forward to more deaths and injuries on the roads as a result?

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Apart from the road safety benefits, the lights look stylish - because they're associated with new, high-tech models
    Oh dear... "Yeah man! My Corsanovasaxo106 is well up wiv da coolness shizzle innit! Like an R8 cos of da cool led light thingies" Although thats probably more grammatically correct than many of the typre of drivers I see round here with the "upgrades"

For the record, I drive with my sidelights on regardless of the weather, always have and probably always will. It was easy in my Punto as you could leave the sidelights switched on and when the key was removed, all the lights switched off. Every other car I've driven has an annoying beep to remind you you've been a numpty and left your lights on. Kudo's to Fiat for a good idea to combat muppets!

Although there are times when its useful to leave your sidelights on when leaving the car - such as picking up your little boy from the childminders in the dark on a slightly-wider-than-single-track road.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Teggers View Post
    Oh dear... "Yeah man! My Corsanovasaxo106 is well up wiv da coolness shizzle innit! Like an R8 cos of da cool led light thingies" Although thats probably more grammatically correct than many of the typre of drivers I see round here with the "upgrades"

For the record, I drive with my sidelights on regardless of the weather, always have and probably always will. It was easy in my Punto as you could leave the sidelights switched on and when the key was removed, all the lights switched off. Every other car I've driven has an annoying beep to remind you you've been a numpty and left your lights on. Kudo's to Fiat for a good idea to combat muppets!

Although there are times when its useful to leave your sidelights on when leaving the car - such as picking up your little boy from the childminders in the dark on a slightly-wider-than-single-track road.
    and then you flick the switch to parking lights, no beep and no dash lights, but the corners illuminate.

Quote Originally Posted by halfords
    The problem with driving with headlights on is that it increases fuel consumption
    what the fook are they on about?

1bhp is 750W. car headlighs are about 100, so 0.13bhp even a saxo won't notice that.

and cars with these led fairy lights look 'like a council house at Christmas' - JC reviewing the R8

Rides
    Cant stand DRL's

Whats wrong with just having the sidelights come on with he ignition

And if a pedestrian or other motorist cant see a massive fooking object coming towards them then they shouldnt be on the road
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Why are people here making a fuss about not retrofitting their cars? You don't have to. It's only passed on newly manufactured cars.

I like them on the Audi's, the Elite lighting pack on Astra/Insignia and the Halo's on Zimmers. The rest, like the D3 I think look naff.

Rides
    I always drive with my headlights on, even in broad daylight, this has illiminated idiots pulling out in front of me at junctions and roundabouts with out supposedly seeing me! I can well believe the statistics as lights on in the day for me has made life significantly easier!

Rides
    on the 200 i would always flick the headlights on and i have seen it prevent people pulling out in front of me where they have done a double take

on the x-trail i just leave the lights on auto but it does have the benefit of being about 4 foot taller and visually has more of an "I'M FRICKIN HERE NUMBNUTS" aura

Rides
    i drive with the headlights on in the work van and still get people pulling out in front of me cutting me up all the time, must hook a camera up some day for a laugh.

Rides
    that's such a gay law! fecking european convention imposing their fluffy paranoid bullshit on us.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    I like them on the Audi's,
    I hope you are not including the Q7

So why is it plod will pull you for having your front fogs on but these strips in the front bumper are ok? they are far more distracting than fog lights ever were
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.