Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 350Z Z33 Gearbox Conversion

Rides
    Right, I've got the box, prop, shifter cradle and gear stick, crossmember, clutch slave, clutch fork and bearing paid for.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/index.php - PM a trader named ZMANALEX.
    Last edited by skinz180189; 22-02-2011 at 17:24.

Rides
    Sounds good.

Now once you get it be sure to take plenty of pictures as you do the required mods lol

Then i can just copy you

Rides
    LOL, well the shifter mod will be interesting. Wonder if I can do it without removing the whole box from the engine? I can see my car being in pieces for a long time, guess I won't get to enjoy it this summer either

Rides
    All part of the fun. Its great having a car you spend thousands on and you cant drive it for ages and ages!! lol

Cheers Aj

Rides
    Yeah mine was an expensive garage ornament for 12 months

Rides
    I'd do it over the winter if I could fit the car in the garage, that would make life easier lol.

Rides
    Is there anyway of telling the box is not a 2003 one?

Rides
    Other than hoping the donor car never had an older box fitted and is newer than 03, no.

There may be part numbers but I've not found that information.

Rides
    Just thinking if a car has a 54 reg dosnt really mean it was made in 2004/05. It may of sat in a feild for 6-12 months before getting registered.
    Would be handy if there was an id number to check.

Rides
    Any updates on this?

Cheers Aj

Rides
    None yet, but I've ordered an S14 clutch line to see if it fits the Z33 slave, then if it does I will try and figure out how much longer it needs to be made.

Rides
    Are we still thinking that just an adapter plate will be needed and no machining of the bell housing will be required?
    What prop can be used? The z version is carbon isnt it?

Cheers Aj

Rides
    Seems to be it will need machining, otherwise the input shaft will be too far back.

I haven't looked at the prop yet, not even sure if it is carbon or metal. I might grab a second hand SX one and see what the crack is for making the hybrid out of them.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skinz180189 View Post
    Seems to be it will need machining, otherwise the input shaft will be too far back.

I haven't looked at the prop yet, not even sure if it is carbon or metal. I might grab a second hand SX one and see what the crack is for making the hybrid out of them.
    Some kits, space the flywheel of from the crank to get over the spacer moving the box away. Sounds like a shite option imo, better to machine the bellhousing

If you can get both props a propshaft company can make what you need and balance it up. I ended up using a complete brand new prop from Bailey Morris. I ended up selling one to ABT, Ken and Disco Tom. That's just a front half using the standard rear section and bearing. One piece in steel is too long and it starts to whirl. Ally is okay just

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Right, I've got the box, prop, shifter cradle and gear stick, crossmember, clutch slave, clutch fork and bearing paid for.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/index.php - PM a trader named ZMANALEX.
    Just to say, ZMANALEX and R35LEE are both top, top blokes - totally trustworthy and very reliable. Ive met Lee a couple of times and hes a ledge, Alex has helped me out too though Ive never met him

Watching this with interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    Some kits, space the flywheel of from the crank to get over the spacer moving the box away. Sounds like a shite option imo, better to machine the bellhousing

If you can get both props a propshaft company can make what you need and balance it up. I ended up using a complete brand new prop from Bailey Morris. I ended up selling one to ABT, Ken and Disco Tom. That's just a front half using the standard rear section and bearing. One piece in steel is too long and it starts to whirl. Ally is okay just
    Well the Yanks are saying this about the prop...
    48.75" long from output shaft to diff flange. This will obviously vary depending on motor mounts and ABS diff or standard diff.
    So I don't really want to get one made and find it's too long/too short.

I was presuming I could send both off to a custom prop maker. Then say I need the 350z yoke at one end, and the S14 diff flange at the other, measure the length between the diff flange and output shaft with the box fitted in place and get it made to fit that gap. I thought that would be my only option. So that would be best in ally?

I won't make massive progress on this for a long time anyway, starting April I barely get enough time to myself to sleep for 3 or so months, yet alone do anything like this.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    Yep, I've seen a kit like that on the net, and it looked frightening. It has to be a much better solution to machine the bell housing.

Rides
    Well the Yanks are saying this about the prop...

So I don't really want to get one made and find it's too long/too short.

I was presuming I could send both off to a custom prop maker. Then say I need the 350z yoke at one end, and the S14 diff flange at the other, measure the length between the diff flange and output shaft with the box fitted in place and get it made to fit that gap. I thought that would be my only option. So that would be best in ally?

I won't make massive progress on this for a long time anyway, starting April I barely get enough time to myself to sleep for 3 or so months, yet alone do anything like this.
    That's what you need to do. Only thing to remember is that the sleeve shouldn't go all the way into the gearbox, you need to leave about 15mm

If you are going 1 piece it has to be ally imo. Even Ken had vibration on his ally prop, hence going back to a 2 piece. If you're not worried about major weight saving, just get the fron section made

This is the drg I did for my prop...

Rides
    I have tried a few places now and no one has what i need

Anyone have contact info for Lee ?

I cant be arsed to sign up to the 350z forum but if i have to lol

Anyone know of a good reliable breakers i could try ?
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    Lee never replied to me so good luck.

Well I can't CAD so no prop drawing from me lol. 2 piece would be better, again I don't want to fork out and it be crap.

Struggling to visualise just getting the front made, not sure what you mean by that?
    Last edited by skinz180189; 05-03-2011 at 00:32.