Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: 350Z Z33 Gearbox Conversion

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Yes, if I remember correctly I had 1/2" machined off the bell housing, and the plate is 10mm.

Might it be worth mentioning in the first thread that an S15 flywheel is required?
    Probably would depend on which conversion kit is being used.
    I think I still have my S15 OE dual mass kicking about, if you want it for free+£post let me know and I'l try to find it, S14 clutch works fine with S15 flywheels.
    If you want a new one, Driftworks sell S15 single mass conversion flywheels with bolts for about £250iirc

Rides
    Thank you very much for the offer mate, but I've got mine working now When I replace the clutch for something stronger, I may change to the Driftworks lightened S15 flywheel.

I'm fairly certain all of the conversions which machine the bell housing and use an adaptor plate will have this issue though. You can only machine about 1/2" off the bell housing or you would leave the mating flange too thin, and the adaptor plate couldn't be much thinner than 10mm due to using countersunk bolts.

Rides
    Just waiting for some S15 flywheel bolts to arrive before trying out different clutch bearing sleeves for correct air gap with my twin carbon ORC S15 clutch and flywheel but I really don't understand why people would bother machining the gearbox housing when the protuner adapter plate is there?
    Also looking at gearbox mounting (yet to fit it up to the car, but have created some extra space with calibrated taps from 7lb hammer) it seems the holes on the oem (auto trans) mount align with the 350z gearbox bolt holes. a couple of hockey pucks and two longer bolts should work IMO.

Just remove the counter weight on the 350z box.

It will have worse NVH due to less side to side rotation but a hell of a lot cheaper and easier than some of the kits out there.

Rides
    Mazworx Bell housing kit is the easiest way for this conversion in my opinion, I’m using my old clutch set up (single mass s14/180sx, and act 6 paddle) and no transmission tunnel mods needed for a perfect fit plus the oem s14/180 clutch slave is fitted and is on the correct side.

Rides
    Just had a play with the oem shifter bracket and for me on a budget... I might just save the £250ish for a billet shifter and put the money elsewhere.

So after measuring how much metal rod is between the two U joints (10.5cm) and doing what other people do by cutting out the rod and welding the two U joints together I feel this shouldn't need too much cutting of the trans tunnel hole for the gear stick to come up to a normal'ish location for the gear knob.

So with two holes drilled inline with the original ones, I then cut off the excess.

still a bit interfering so more cutting.

The U bracket under the shifter should now be in a good place for welding.

Sadly one of the locating dowels got stuck and I need to remove it before the next stage at which I will use some sheet metal to create two legs back down to the oem bottom mounting holes to reduce any movement. Should have enough space to drill a small hole on the bottom Alu section for these to bolt to.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Interesting read
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    May be a silly question regarding the prop. But has anyone tried the 350z propshaft for size. Or does it end up too long with the transmission in an s body.

Rides
    I should be able to tell you in a few months. Plan on using the 350z diff also so it would be nice if it fits lol.

Rides

350Z Z33 Gearbox Conversion

There is a fair difference in the length so would imagine it would be too long but saying that where it mounts to the box is further back under the shift mount so may be close , be interesting to see for sure

Sent from Big Bear Kustoms Ltd using tapatalk
    Last edited by pegliobagli; 16-01-2019 at 12:57.

Rides
    Also the 350z Diff is shorter (I think) as it doesnt have the Speed sensor in the front like the 200sx abs diff.

Few issues but nearly there with the shifter.

The issue when selecting 1/3/5 the linkage hits this point slightly.

Just needed trimming on the underside, fortunately its only for housing the spring.

I had to shave a lot more off the bottom but forgot to take pictures, I will get some tomorrow.
    When in neutral or 2,4,6 the linkage is totally clear from the bottom but I will show that tomorrow.

Rides
    Not sure if it was just the japspeed quality or not but I had to slightly elongate one of the holes to align with the gearbox mounting points but nothing more than 2mins with the dremel and its still snug.

Bolts up nicely, just need to check how the oem gearbox brace lines up with the oem holes, might need to elongate them to get the ideal placement.

Rides
    So they don't give you instructions with the protuner plate so a bit of test fitting is needed.
    The starter motor threads need drilled out to 10.5mm for the welded bolts on the plate to fit through.

Need to remove the shift fork boot so I can check bearing clearance against the pressure plate/fingers.

Fortunately this gearbox has the stronger clutch fork as I think the very first JDM 02-03 where hollow.
    with a longer pivot ball.

So I found out the hard way after fitting it all together the pilot bush in the s15 flywheel needs moved to the crank shaft like s14s, as it wont go far enough over the input shaft.

This wont work lol.

but this will.

and all together.

Rides
    So nothing fits lol.
    This was attempt no1 at fitting with japspeed engine mounts and 3"apexi? exhaust elbow.

Still sits 2" further back than oem shifter hole.

oem gearbox cross member is 2" out.

this bolt location on the gearbox hits the mounting location.

this side engine mount went in.

this side didn't

bellhousing clearance is fine around the firewall.

exhaust elbow needs more grinding but it may ruin the flange sealing surface.

I don't want to grind too much off the gearbox and reduce its strength and ability to bolt up to my 350z.

this also caught me out lol.

Rides
    Strength wise theres no problem to cut fairly deep into the gearbox.
    This is how i ended up when i did the conversion 6 years ago;

Both the gearbox mount and gear shifter can be bougth from gktech and other suppliers.
    Last edited by Galant_X; 21-02-2019 at 18:35.

Rides
    This looks tough man! So glad mine lined up first time otherwise I’d have thrown in the towel lol

Rides
    Surely if you need to move the pilot bush back to the crankshaft a normal S14a clutch would still work with it then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    So, to clarify any gearbox after 2003 is good? The reason I ask is, I have seen a gearbox for sale and its from a 2004 the guy isn't sure which month, but he doesn't seem to think it's a cd009 box? He breaks cars so I think he is right, thoughts?

Also it's from a 350z gearbox VQ35DE
    Last edited by Skyline boy; 24-02-2019 at 15:31.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jj205mi16 View Post
    Surely if you need to move the pilot bush back to the crankshaft a normal S14a clutch would still work with it then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think the S15 gearbox just has a very short input shaft.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline boy View Post
    So, to clarify any gearbox after 2003 is good? The reason I ask is, I have seen a gearbox for sale and its from a 2004 the guy isn't sure which month, but he doesn't seem to think it's a cd009 box? He breaks cars so I think he is right, thoughts?

Also it's from a 350z gearbox VQ35DE
    Cd009 box is from 2006 models

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamRPS13 View Post
    Cd009 box is from 2006 models
    Thanks for the reply, so is a 2004 or 2005 no good or just not a cd009?