Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I really wished I lived in America... :-(

Rides
    I was staying near Portland, Oregon...house prices there are much cheaper that the south east of England. Really spectacular landscapes in Oregon too.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    Nope, I actually can't think of anywhere I'd rather live than the UK .

We don't have police on every junction waiting to give you a ticket for every minor indiscretion. We don't have to learn every county in the country - and get labelled an American hater if we can't. We don't have major earthquakes and/or floods that kill hundreds of people. We don't have proper poverty. We have a relatively stable government and state system. We have relatively good roads. We have a good health system. We have clean water. We have stable electricity. We have, in general, a good mix of society, cultures and religions.

Name me ONE other place in the world that really is as good as the UK to live in, all things considered.

We can always find something nicer about another country. But finding another country that is better, as a whole, than the UK is a different prospect.
    You would love Sweden!

Rides
    Whats the deal with health insurance in the US? If you don't have it for a while, then take it out and get ill 6months later- what happens? Do you have to pay in for life?

I've never been to hospital and have visited the doctors once in the last 16yrs, thats alot of NI contributions down the drain....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_T View Post
    Whats the deal with health insurance in the US? If you don't have it for a while, then take it out and get ill 6months later- what happens? Do you have to pay in for life?

I've never been to hospital and have visited the doctors once in the last 16yrs, thats alot of NI contributions down the drain....
    I don't see why... if you take out a life insurance policy here and then die 6 months later it would still pay out wouldn't it? As long as you're not ill at the time it's taken out I don't see it'd be a problem, same as (for example) Bupa cover over here.

Rides
    Australia FTW!!

Spent a couple of months in Sydney, and it's awesome, hopefully in 5 or 6 years I will be living there

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Having been to pretty much every country in Europe, India, Turkey, Dubai, Brazil, Mexico, Canada and a few others in the past 2 years, believe me, you are better of staying right where you are.

People love to moan about the UK, but we have a pretty damn good balance of weather, work, money, health and social care and sense of community here. Sure, tax in the US is less but you have to pay for Medical Care. Sure, the Social system in Denmark or Sweden is better but you have to pay into it for 10 years before you can take advantage.

Also bear in mind that anywhere else you will be an alien - possibly not knowing the language, not knowing how to deal with people, not knowing laws and customs where here you know exactly where to go, who to talk to and what to do to get by - you wont be getting chucked out if you lose your job either.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SX Sam View Post
    Australia FTW!!

Spent a couple of months in Sydney, and it's awesome, hopefully in 5 or 6 years I will be living there
    or NZ .

Wish i could emegrate to a warmer climate and a country that says fck you to stand conformity and PC regs,

did look at american but in all fairness i domnt like most (based on some i have met) amercians where i find people of oz are much more friendly.

I need to sell my house and go

Rides
    Wishing you lived in America is like saying you wished you lived in Europe.

Chicago, New York, New Orleans, San Francisco, LA are as alike as Paris, Madrid, Warsaw, London, Liverpool.

You could compare parts of Detroit with parts of Bootle and places like Redwood City with places like Cheltenham.

I've stayed in places in the US where they don't both locking their cars at night and other places where a mugging consists of the mugger walking up to you, shooting you and helping himself (without any "Give me your wallet" preamble ).

There are places that are too hot and dry, too hot and wet, permanently warm and always bliddy cold.

Along with Canada its a sodding continent that covers a goodly portion of the earth, fergoodnesssake.

Rides
    I wish people would either stop moaning how shit the UK is or just fook off
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Ahh the good old American dream...

Having been in America and Canada on many occasions and my ex-wife moving out there for 2 years, everything you've said Mr Parr is the Walt Disney perception of America. Without going in detail on each point you made I'll consider the most irrevelant regarding TV. Errr the TV is crap over there, you'd wish you had the good old British 5 channels as its really hard to find something worth watching. Its absolute toilet.

Everything else is all fantasy based.

I'd love to live in America, but I'd want to do it with a time machine and go to California in 1955 and drive a brand new Bel Air. Seeing that will be doubtful I'd only move there if I had a lot of money.

Rides
    the grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side matey. I spent the last couple of months of last year travellig around the far east and Japan and it made me realise how damn lucky we are over here, particularly in London. This place has it all unlike anywhere else in the world. So what if it gets cold and we have a huge diverseification of cultures.

If you want to go live in the USA and be surrounded by naive ignorant chumps that have never left their shores good luck. Their economy is in ruins and you'd get about a third of the same holiday entitlement you'd get here.

Take a step back and appreciate what you've got here, we have some of the most relaxed car modifying lawas in the world, we got loads of holidays/bank holidays, our income tax rates are awesome compared to many places... i could go on.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrodave View Post
    the grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side matey.

Take a step back and appreciate what you've got here
    This sums up my feelings about the whole "this country is shit, I'm buggering off to somewhere that looks nicer" attitude for me .

As I said earlier, name me ONE other place in the world that really is as good as the UK to live in, all things considered. We can always find something nicer about another country. But finding another country that is better, as a whole, than the UK is a different prospect.

I see Australia mentioned. How many of those mentioning it are aware of Australia's censorship policy towards games and the internet? This is the sort of thing I'm getting at, those little things you completely take for granted in "shitty Britain".

I'll repeat what I said earlier in the thread. I genuinely cannot think of another country I'd like to move to. Apart from anything else, all my friends and family live here and it's completely selfish to just assume they'd travel to see me .

Rides
    I want to get legal weed from the us so would love to moove to caly

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by def View Post
    ok, that in itelsf is a good enough excuse to go SOLD

Rides
    Amsterdam, you don't have to put up with americans then

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid View Post
    Amsterdam, you don't have to put up with americans then
    Tourist city ??? ........ the worst type of Yanks ... and Brits are found in Amsterdam

I would rather live in hickville USA with 300000 brothers and sisters, than live in Amsterdamn with 1000 US tourists

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Tourist city ??? ........ the worst type of Yanks ... and Brits are found in Amsterdam

I would rather live in hickville USA with 300000 brothers and sisters, than live in Amsterdamn with 1000 US tourists
    I off there in a minute so I'll let you know.

Rides
    Hicksville or Amsterdam ?

Rides
    In the words of Homer J Simpson, "If you don't like it, go to Russia."

Rides
    or Colorado.