Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I really wished I lived in America... :-(

Rides

I really wished I lived in America... :-(

I know I know, they get alot of stick from everyone, but overall it seems like such a lovely place to live.

I am sure they have there bad areas, just like everywhere else, but there good areas are so much better than anything we have.

Everytime I have traveled over there, everyone is helpfull, you can walk down any road, say hello to anyone and the reply you get is the most genuine I have ever got. Everyone there seems happy to help, are upbeat, and overall pleasant to be around - unlike here in England where everyone is frowning, fed up, overall fecked off with life.

Food over there is better, the selection is bigger and the costs are lower. I know this is the main cause for there overweight nation - but I have self control so loved it. Where else can you buy a 20oz steak, take one bite, say you dont like it and they take it back and swap it out for another because, and I quote from the fella who served me "Don't worry, if I paid $15 and got a crappy steak I would send it back as well"

15$ for a gawd darn 20oz t-bone steak - and thats expensive? Are you serious? What is wrong with out prices over here?

Next is petrol - needs no explaining, and there roads, while straight are smooth and easy riding while I worry sometimes I have dont internal injury on ours hitting some of the seemingly 1000 pot holes.

Next is the weather - they either get rain, or they get sun - a solid decision which I can respect by mothernature, but here, oooh noo, its not quote rain, and its not really hot, but its jsut enough to take the piss if you try to do something outside.

I want to work on the car in the week? Its dark at 3PM. I want to work at the weekend? Its raining. The one day its not raining? Its -6c.

Then comes the summer, amazing, I can put on a T-shirt.. for the whole 1 month it lasts, and then it rains again. Amazing.

Jobs I have no freaking idea, but I imagine its better if not at least the same as ours - you tried getting a job recently over here? Even supermarkets are getting picky..

House prices? Anyone on here thinking of selling, or thinking of buying I am sure know how impossible it is at the moment unless you have been saving for the past 5 years of your life - you can get a nice 4 bedroom house with loads of land for half the price of a one bedroom flat in london in America... =-/

Even the TV shows are better over there - take for example a fanny program like Come dine with me - over there everyone is complimenting each others food, are generally enjoying themself and noone really gives a crap about the reward, as long as they have a good time.

Over here its utter shit, middle age women moaning and whining, complaining about how there pork was uncooked, and how the house was 1c to cold, or that there peas are too hard... constant theme, everything american is happy and go lucky, everything here is depressing, spiteful and crap.

They say the British are the biggest moaners in the world... it really does not surprise me, this country sucks. We beat out the shitty 3rd world countrys but apart from that we suck hard.
    Last edited by MrPARR; 11-02-2011 at 18:41.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPARR View Post
    I know I know, they get alot of stick from everyone, but overall it seems like such a lovely place to live.

I am sure they have there bad areas, just like everywhere else, but there good areas are so much better than anything we have.

Everytime I have traveled over there, everyone is helpfull, you can walk down any road, say hello to anyone and the reply you get is the most genuine I have ever got. Everyone there seems happy to help, are upbeat, and overall pleasant to be around - unlike here in England where everyone is frowning, fed up, overall fecked off with life.

Food over there is better, the selection is bigger and the costs are lower. I know this is the main cause for there overweight nation - but I have self control so loved it. Where else can you buy a 20oz steak, take one bite, say you dont like it and they take it back and swap it out for another because, and I quote from the fella who served me "Don't worry, if I paid $15 and got a crappy steak I would send it back as well"

15$ for a gawd darn 20oz t-bone steak - and thats expensive? Are you serious? What is wrong with out prices over here?

Next is petrol - needs no explaining, and there roads, while straight are smooth and easy riding while I worry sometimes I have dont internal injury on ours hitting some of the seemingly 1000 pot holes.

Next is the weather - they either get rain, or they get sun - a solid decision which I can respect by mothernature, but here, oooh noo, its not quote rain, and its not really hot, but its jsut enough to take the piss if you try to do something outside.

I want to work on the car in the week? Its dark at 3PM. I want to work at the weekend? Its raining. The one day its not raining? Its -6c.

Then comes the summer, amazing, I can put on a T-shirt.. for the whole 1 month it lasts, and then it rains again. Amazing.

Jobs I have no freaking idea, but I imagine its better if not at least the same as ours - you tried getting a job recently over here? Even supermarkets are getting picky..

House prices? Anyone on here thinking of selling, or thinking of buying I am sure know how impossible it is at the moment unless you have been saving for the past 5 years of your life - you can get a nice 4 bedroom house with loads of land for half the price of a one bedroom flat in london in America... =-/

Even the TV shows are better over there - take for example a fanny program like Come dine with me - over there everyone is complimenting each others food, are generally enjoying themself and noone really gives a crap about the reward, as long as they have a good time.

Over here its utter shit, middle age women moaning and whining, complaining about how there pork was uncooked, and how the house was 1c to cold, or that there peas are too hard... constant theme, everything american is happy and go lucky, everything here is depressing, spiteful and crap.

They say the British are the biggest moaners in the world... it really does not surprise me, this country sucks. We beat out the shitty 3rd world countrys but apart from that we suck hard.
    ahh america, where dreams are made from, it makes you feel like brand new lol

Rides
    Hmmm, well the USA suffers largely from hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, on the extreme scale.

Their sports ate not a patch on the premiership. Football (soccer for the ponces) is the greatest game their is.

Ghey get 10 days a year annual leave. Pay is shit compared to the UK in most cases. Things are indeed cheaper.

Petrol is shit, standard is 80 Ron super falls in the 90 I believe. Roads are Erm straight. No need for a good handling cars.

I prefer British comedies. British music seems to be taking over. I actually think British tv is better. Why is it the American remake all British originals.

I could go on.

Rides
    simple case of grass is greener on the other side.

most that have been to america love it over there, equally americans that come over here equally love it here.

I think its simply because its so different to what you are used to, I'm sure the reality is less glamorous

Rides
    nice rant

id love to leave and go off and find a better way of life but im tied down in a negative equity home

the uk could be so much better and people would be so much happier if things were cheaper why cant they be???

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    When are you moving then?

Quote Originally Posted by MrPARR View Post
    you tried getting a job recently over here? Even supermarkets are getting picky..
    Rightly so. You have to work damn hard in a supermarket for very little money or respect. It boils my piss the way people look down on shop workers tbh
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Canada maybe, should I ever become a squillionaire, but not America.

Rides
    I am glad i dont
    I would like to live in Canada or Hawaii (yes.. i know ) but other than that, the USA doesnt appeal to me to much.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by marko14a View Post
    Canada maybe, should I ever become a squillionaire, but not America.
    Indeed Canada better, but too cold in winter. Dubai for me. Mate lives there its awesome.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomagic View Post
    Hmmm, well the USA suffers largely from hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, on the extreme scale.
    This is what I mean though, sure its far more destructive, but at least there weather decides on what it wants to do, and does it properly. They have heavy wind and 50 people die - we have heavy wind and my socks get blown off the line. They get a downpour and half the country has to swim to work - we get a downpour and we call it 9 months of the year.

Their sports ate not a patch on the premiership. Football (soccer for the ponces) is the greatest game their is.
    Can't really comment on this, as I don't play, or watch Football, or any sport really apart from a few car races so a moot point for me.

Ghey get 10 days a year annual leave. Pay is shit compared to the UK in most cases. Things are indeed cheaper.
    Really? Annual leave sounds a bit crap, but most jobs there pay well enough to live fine. A average job over there is about the same as a good job over here - don't we have the longest working hours as well over here? (Ignoring those crazy countrys where the poor work 100+ hour weeks)

Petrol is shit, standard is 80 Ron super falls in the 90 I believe. Roads are Erm straight. No need for a good handling cars.
    Valid point, but I am sure there are a fair few windy roads of you look for them - so if you wanted a good hard drive you could have it, and have the relaxing, fuel efficient commute to work. Same applies now, when I go to work I would much rather have a easy drive, and when I want a good hard drive, I take the car out late at night on the bendys when its quiet.

Petrol is lower ron, but the mapping would compensate for that. 250BHP instead of 290BHP? Personally it wouldn't bother me knowing that I am paying over half the price for it.

I prefer British comedies. British music seems to be taking over. I actually think British tv is better. Why is it the American remake all British originals.
    I am saying that America is a better, happier more pleasant place to life - not that they're the best race of people. If you lived there you could experience all the +++ of the British - but without the crappyness.

England is far from a bad country, and has its good points compared to alot - but seems to get slapped down by the overall benifits of America.
    Last edited by MrPARR; 11-02-2011 at 19:34.

Rides
    cheaper food and fuel prices are usually offset by medical insurance bills and savings funds for things like the kids college funds.

when talking about the US however its best to look at it as 52 seperate countries, some really awesome states and some really shitty ones too. I was quite impressed by how laid back things seemed over there though. I think however thats just a breath of fresh air from having subsequent governments here fcuking with every single element of your life and squeezing you for everything you have.

Rides
    meh 1 in 10 chance of being shot?
    Compared to a 10 in 10 chance of being raped in the uk, at the petrol pumps!

Rides
    Work wise we may officially have longer hours. But they get a shit deal. Work for them is like extended family.

Prepare to work 6 days week even though you are only contracted for 5 ... Expect 15 days holiday, expect to take your illness off as holiday. Expect to work late most nights.

Me and the misses considered moving there. After she lived there for a year and I went out for six months.

It was fcuking great, I loved every minute of it. But .......... Long term it wasn't worth it. With me in IT and hervin finance we wouldnt ever see each other. Far too much time spent working

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post

Rightly so. You have to work damn hard in a supermarket for very little money or respect. It boils my piss the way people look down on shop workers tbh

Everyone should have to do it for a year or two

They might learn how to treat people better then !

Rides

I could go on.
    Natural Disasters - a bit extreme, it all depends on where you live if you are at risk.

Sports - its opinion I guess, I'm sure there are plenty of people in the UK that hate football, plus if you have cable here FSC show most of the games live anyway

I get 29 days annual leave.

I earn more than I did in the UK, and the cost of living is a LOT less, especially where I live.

Petrol is shit, fair point but its 1/4 of the price or less, I can live with that.

Plenty of ways to watch UK TV if that bothered, again, BBC have a channel on Cable here.

Despite all this, its not that life is better over here, its just different. I love it, much prefer it to England, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who do not.

Rides

I could go on.
    Let's see...
    Being from the States and living here, there are similarities and differences (like everywhere in the world).

As for the extreme weather, it happens. Honestly though, it really depends on what part of the country you live in as to what weather you'll get... Socal is pretty much perfect year round, Arizona is a desert, Florida is tropical, up North it snows, etc, etc. Here however, weather is pretty much the same all over the country, and it isn't that great most of the time.

Sports... Basketball, [American] football, baseball, whatever. Might like it, might not. It's whatever, there's a bunch to choose from and there's something on throughout the year. Can't agree with you that football/soccer is the greatest game ever, but it's all about opinions.

Your days off depend on the company you work for, just like your pay, work schedule, etc. There's no set amount of days off.
    Things are cheaper, and you don't get taxed for everything under the sun. TV tax, Council tax, road tax, MOT, whatever else. I'd never got a vehicle inspection until I moved overseas, but I do know that certain states have them. Not to say every state is free from it's bs, but things here are over the top IMHO.

Gas is gas... If a company makes a car to run 95, then I'm buying 95... But, low is 87, and in most places the high is 93 or 95. But, you can find 100 if you're willing to spend the money. But after paying for gas here, I could run 100 all the time and still be saving money lol
    Roads are the same anywhere, you have straight ones and curvy ones. Depends on where you go. Don't believe me, search Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap. Like I said, everywhere has good, curvy roads, you just have to find them.

Entertainment isn't worth going into as it's all opinionated.

Regardless, don't take anything I've said as an advertisement of America > England/UK, or anything like that. Just correcting you on some things you seem to be mistaken about. And honestly, of all the places I've lived, I prefer Panama and Japan over anything else...

Rides
    I spent a lot of time in America a few years ago and it is not all nice and happy, new York at Christmas is the worst thing I have ever seen, nothing like on tv where everyone is helpfully and nice, they were fighting over some toy that I had never heard of.
    Vegas can be the same if you head of the strip a bit and Florida had some of the worst places I have ever seen.
    Everything may seem cheap but they have no nhs so a trip to the dentist could cost thousands and a week in hospital can be upwards of $20,000.
    I personally like australia better as in the 3 months I was out there I never saw any areas as bad as those in America and the people were friendlier.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulpen View Post

Everyone should have to do it for a year or two

They might learn how to treat people better then !
    Tell me about it - I worked in retail for over a year, and then a year in a restaurant. I know how damn rude and uncaring most people are. I think that may be where I lost my faith in people.. When I go out for food, its a special occasion, I enjoy the prepared food, the experience of getting served, the nice enviroment - its nice.

Where I worked people would come in every day, grumpy, annoyed, and rude - all the time, every day - moaning that the prices had gone up and it was costing them blah blah per month, asking for a large skinny, capachinno with extra throth... mother****ers.

URGH

Rides
    I'll move back to Canada (or maybe America) at some point, I was planning to move back but an interesting job came up in the UK.

Pay would be at least 25% higher for me over there but less holidays and longer hours.

North American fuel is measured in RON/MON, we use RON in Europe, you need to add 5 points onto American fuel to compare it. 93 and 95 are equivalent to our super and Vpower, their 100 is race fuel.

Rides
    I'd love to move out to the US. I hate football with a passion so wouldn't miss it one bit.