Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: s13 Prefacelift, stage 2, erm, bit different...

Rides

s13 Prefacelift, stage 2, erm, bit different...

Hi all,
    I won't bore you with the details, but I think it's time to get out of the modified car world for a bit, i'll be back when I can afford it!

So, 90/91 H-reg s13 prefacelift, CA18, manual.
    MOT until JUL/AUG 11, Tax until, erm, MAY? could be longer.
    13 odd pages of rambling in my project thread here, the good and the bad: http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=423645

Spec list, what I can remember at least:

Engine:
    Stock CA18 block
    Recon T28 around 3000 miles ago, was like new
    Large FMIC
    Walbro Fuel pump from FD RX7
    3 inch silenced exhaust made from various parts
    Stock injectors AFAIK
    Stock AFM
    Stage 2 HD chip in socketed ECU
    OS Giken Super single clutch fitted 6 months ago (used but loads of meat)
    Hockey Puck engine mounts (very solid)
    Uprated Gearbox Mount (APEX)
    Apexi AVCR (old version) boost controller, great bit of kit
    Boost gauge

Suspension/Chassis/Wheels:
    Almost all driftworks adjustable arms, HSD coilovers all round, very good, stiff ride, not the softest!
    s13 front lower arms with s14 ball joints so you don't run silly camber
    5 stud hubs, s14 front brakes
    Strut brace in car between rear strut tops
    16x7 and 16x8 polished Starions OR 16x8 bronze R32 GTR all round (more on that later)

Bodywork
    Dinked, dented and scratched, wrapped in light grey vinyl with various overlaps, joins and missing bits, homebrew rear arch flares, it's functional, basically, but does look good in general! (blue paintwork underneath)
    Stock bodywork, front splitter, grey body with black roof and manga comic bootlid, rear window mounted spoiler.

Interior
    Stock

Okayyy, where to start? I bought the car in the summer of 2009 with the plan of putting a 13b rotary engine in it. That didn't work out at the time and the car turned out to be so much fun to play with that I decided to be nice to it and just keep it up to scratch, keep it running nicely and just enjoy it.
    Since then it has been used almost daily, it has never let me down, it always starts, always puts a smile on my face, what more do you need?

I tended only to spend money on the car to improve it's condition, reliability, or very rarely to replace broken stuff. I replaced the worn clutch with a super single that is more suited to the stage 2 power and got a recon turbo to replace the smoky old t28 that was in there. All additional parts were new when I did this, new gaskets, nuts, bolts, spigot bush, g/box oil, it came to over £80 just for the little parts!
    I replaced the worn engine and gearbox mounts with firmer items, the feel is so much better since I did that!
    I replaced the bonkers noisy exhaust with a slightly quieter (but still v. loud) one built up from various parts all bought from sxoc members
    I had some welding done around the sill-arch areas that got picked out on the first MOT, there is still *some* rust but the problem areas were sorted, including the brake pipe mount points in the front arches and front strut tops.
    I had the cambelt changed for peace of mind, unfortunately I had it done by RE:Worx as a favour so have no paperwork for that.

I slowly made the car my own, with the grey wrap, the manga bootlid and cheeky manga rear indicator covers, the rear roof spoiler, and of course the shiny shiny Starions.
    I've never seen a set of Starions look as good as mine, I put a lot of money into getting them looking how I wanted, it's all in the project thread.
    Also in the project thread is my little bump i had in the snow, the wheels are currently off the car and i will be getting the lip of the one damaged wheel professionally straightened out. The wheel has already been balanced so it is not bent! All wheels will be freshly polished too.

Bad Bits
    I always worry about getting that phone call after selling a car: "you never told me about xyz!" so I am probably going to go a bit overboard with every tiny issue here...

The speedo works intermittently. Easy fix i'm told but i'm on a limited mileage policy so I don't mind that it has only clocked up 3000 miles since I owned it! Mileage reads 92,xxx I think but the speedo was broken when I bought the car, the actual mileage could be anything. One test drive will prove the car isn't a tired old dog though!

There is *sometimes* a slight hesitation under full boost (1.05bar) although i am going to swap out the plugs, check the coilpacks and changed the possibly sticky thermostat which should sort it. It's intermittent and when the car pulls, it really pulls! EDIT: spark plugs and thdermostat changed, problem sorted.

The car is not rust free, there is some rust on the rails, they are a bit jack-mangled, there is only one spot that really concerns me that it might need welding, there are pics below. The bootlid is very rusty inside on the back and along either side of the window but i have a minty clean rust-free spare that I will fit (and put the manga vinyl on) EDIT: mint bootlid now fitted

The block has a snapped stud on the manifold (rearmost one) so I still have a nice stiff cast mani on there, it doesn't blow and has never been a problem.

Oh, the stereo won't play CD's...

The items next on my list would have been: Bushes, as far as I know these are standard, attend to the rust before it becomes an issue, and then get modifying!

PRICE
    I'm looking for £2100 with the starions on, £1800 with a set of (just) legal rubber s14 wheels. There is the possibility of selling it with the r32 GTR wheels for around £2000, although they are my brothers wheels so i'll have to check first.

I'm sure i've missed things, fire away with the questions!
    Last edited by Dandan; 08-02-2011 at 10:24.

Rides
    Full photobucket album: http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...oject%20200RX/
    over 200pics

These pics are with the old exhaust, the new one sits much closer to the body

Rides

Rides
    You suck.

Rides
    how very rude!
    dude if i could afford two cars then i wouldnt dream of selling it, but i really have to leave the fun cars alone for a while until i have some actual money.

Rides
    PM'd

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandan View Post
    how very rude!
    dude if i could afford two cars then i wouldnt dream of selling it, but i really have to leave the fun cars alone for a while until i have some actual money.
    I know man. Sorry, I should have quantified that.

You suck for selling such an awesome car.
    Manhugs for the situation

Rides
    shit dude, really like this car! good luck with the sale!

Looks like were both in a similiar situation!

Rides
    mad but i understand completely (just think of the fun factor you'll miss when it goes). it should go with the starions........... but if it doesn't i know someone who may be interested in them

Rides
    Purchased a new car today.... seven seats worth of practicality!

Rides
    I like this car jts a shame so many people are selling up due to money getting tight

You'll miss it i did when i sold mine driving a 'normal' car just irritated me lol so i'm now buying an s14 lol BUT if i hadn't paid a deposit on one i would be seriously thinkin of havin this off you.

Good luck with the sale

Rides
    nnngggghhhhhh! WANT.

Rides
    nnnnnnnnghhhh HAVE!

Rides
    I may well do actually. I'll fire you a PM when I'm home from work

Rides
    will text you about saturday later dude

Rides

Selling cool cars for sensible financial reasons is seriously gay I've done it many times (sold cars, not been seriously gay )

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    You suck.
    What he said ^^^^^^

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post

Selling cool cars for sensible financial reasons is seriously gay I've done it many times (sold cars, not been seriously gay )

What he said ^^^^^^

just unseriously gay then

Rides
    Only done the seriously gay thing a few times eh ed?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_e1 View Post
    just unseriously gay then
    Never, being gay is a serious business

Quote Originally Posted by Dandan View Post
    Only done the seriously gay thing a few times eh ed?
    Reminds me of a funny story about last weekend in Rotterdam!!! That was seriously gay, but seriously funny!!

Rides
    spark plugs and thermostat changed for new today, the plugs in there were 6's and the gap was massive so i'm pretty sure i've sorted the hesitation now.