Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how much caffeine is to much

Rides
    I only started drinking this much about 6 months ago when I was promotoed to managment and moved to a different unit

But I have always drank a lot of coffee since I was about 16. Just never quite this much. I only have a couple of coffee's on my days off. Only when I am at work do I drink so much Probably not helped by the fact there is a coffee machine on the Bar.

Don't get flashy lights. My Piss doesnt smel funny
    If I dont havr at least 1 coffee a day I get a headache. Which goes away after drinking one

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Yin View Post
    So just a question. How much caffeine is to much?

My intake must be far to high. So far from 5 this morning I have had 4 quadruple espressos and 3 cans of monster energy drink. And a 500mil can of Rockstar

What are the effects of to much caffeine.
    Caffine guess youd be up and alert all the time not ure about the downsides I'd be more worried about my teeth and the sugar melting them and even more going diabetic tis far too much plus is your wallet feeling lighter? Isnt monster and rockstar like £1.?? a tin?

Rides
    are you typing this from a hospital bed?

I'd seriously cut back. Whats wrong with a glass of water or juice? I probably have 1 maybe 2 cups of coffee a day. If i have any more it leaves a crap taste in my mouth

Rides
    I keep joking I would be better off main lining caffeine

Rides
    I drink atleast 15 cups of coffee a day, I don't know why but i just cant stop.
    A rather large mug of coffee will last me around 40 minutes, as soon as I take the last sip I make another.

I once had 6 red bulls in 30 minutes (they where free ), I felt a bit buzzed for 15min but no other side effects I'm aware of.

Rides
    geeze and i thought my 2 lattes a day was a bit to much!

Rides
    I think I found someone worse than me. And thats Silencer

Rides
    Chill people! The amount of Caffeine he's consuming in general won't harm him and in some ways is doing him good. Yes, too much Caffiene can cause heart disease and act as a diuretic, but in moderate doses, it has protective qualities for the heart etc and has no diuretic properties.

To give you an idea of how much is too much, think around 20 regular coffees in one serving.

Coffee is actually good for you, in it's natural state - especially filter coffee. Decaf can actually be more harmful depending on the process used to decaffeinate it.

Much of the hype about caffeine was peddled by manufacturers of decaf

Rides
    How do people drink so much? I have at most about 3 normal mugs per day, and after my 3rd I am buzzing - any more and it leaves a horrible taste in my mouth.

One can of Monster will see me jumping about the room... O_O Guess its a good thing I am so sensitive, but I come down HARD. :-(

Rides
    I only started drinking this much about 6 months ago when I was promotoed to managment and moved to a different unit

But I have always drank a lot of coffee since I was about 16. Just never quite this much. I only have a couple of coffee's on my days off. Only when I am at work do I drink so much Probably not helped by the fact there is a coffee machine on the Bar.
    Most likely, you've built up a high tolerance to caffeine through years of use. Drinking your normal level of caffeine won't do a damned thing to you but stave off symptoms of caffeine deprivation (see: headache).

I quit coffee altogether last year from a habit of about 4 strong cups a day. I had a headache for the first few days, then started passing out fully dressed at around 7pm every day for the next few weeks, totally unable to stay awake

After a month or two I was totally back to normal but finding mornings much easier. You wake up and immediately feel like you've had a few cups of coffee already, it's lovely.

4 quadruple espressos and 3 cans of monster energy drink. And a 500mil can of Rockstar
    = about 1800mg of caffeine, about enough to kill a cat or small dog

If you're not noticing any of the above, then all it's doing is staining your teeth brown and making you feel like shite if you miss it for a day or two. But for your wallet's sake consider how much it's costing you if you're going through a half dozen cans of energy drink daily. £5 a day on them is £1800 a year chucked in the bin, and the sugar in those won't be doing you much good either.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by randomnine View Post
    1800mg of caffeine, about enough to kill a cat or small dog
    a small dog is easily believable ..... aint no way on earth you would get a cat to drink 16 espressos and a can of monster

The best thing to do is go cold turkey just for a couple of days, to see what caffine is doing to you.

I used to drink loads, to the point I would wake up at 2 am in the morning and couldnt get back to sleep untill I had had a can of coke or a coffee

Took me three weeks for the headache to stop when I came off

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    a small dog is easily believable ..... aint no way on earth you would get a cat to drink 16 espressos and a can of monster
    FPMSL - neasrly crying here, that really tickled me .

Big Yinn, you are, shall we say, a whole lot of man? Your caffeine intake is very high, but it maybe doesn't affect you so much for that reason. If you're at the stage where you get withdrawal headaches, then I would say you are just on the wrong side of too much. Clearly you're concerned about it, otherwise you wouldn't be asking. If your body is inflicting pain on you then it's trying to tell you something.

Try cutting down over a few weeks, and then see if you can do a morning without any coffee. If you can manage without a coffee (i.e. no headache), then I'd say you're at a safer level.

Rides
    If you find you are having withdrawal issues then try substituting the coffee for guiness.
    Works for me.

Rides
    LOL, it was getting boring in this frying pan anyway

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by randomnine View Post
    = about 1800mg of caffeine, about enough to kill a cat or small dog
    Last time i met Yin he was a tad bigger than a small cat 0

I must admity i used to have a red bull addiction, its not just the caffine that can do damge but also the other chemicals in it, damages the liver so i hear

i'd let beer do that for me instated

Rides
    I used to drink a lot of strong coffee at work and then get headaches at the weekend as my caffeine consumption fell. It wasn't a problem until I had a tough patch at work, started drinking even more coffee and that combined with stress gave me heart palpitations - it felt like my heart would skip a beat then do a really strong beat to catch up.

A&E had me on an ECG for a while and suggested cutting back on the caffeine. I now only have two strong coffees a day (latest one at 5pm), no coke or energy drinks and sleep brilliantly.

At the OP, headaches on withdrawal indicate to me that you're taking to much despite the lack of other symptoms.

Rides
    On a few occasions I have had too much caffeine which lead to migraines and partial loss of vision Feels bad man.

I now tend to drink decaf mostly.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothound View Post
    FPMSL - neasrly crying here, that really tickled me .

Big Yinn, you are, shall we say, a whole lot of man? Your caffeine intake is very high, but it maybe doesn't affect you so much for that reason. If you're at the stage where you get withdrawal headaches, then I would say you are just on the wrong side of too much. Clearly you're concerned about it, otherwise you wouldn't be asking. If your body is inflicting pain on you then it's trying to tell you something.

Try cutting down over a few weeks, and then see if you can do a morning without any coffee. If you can manage without a coffee (i.e. no headache), then I'd say you're at a safer level.
    You are right, I am starting ti get worried about the amount I drink. hence asking

Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    If you find you are having withdrawal issues then try substituting the coffee for guiness.
    Works for me.
    I dont drink, I have a liver condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz View Post
    Last time i met Yin he was a tad bigger than a small cat 0

, damages the liver so i hear
    See last point. So thats not really good news lol.
    When did we meet Kiz? Must of been Japfest. 6,1 big built and 20 stone. So Prob takes a lot of caffeine to affect me, And the tollerence I have built up over the years

Rides
    I dont drink, I have a liver condition.

I cant imagine why

Rides
    When did we meet Kiz? Must of been Japfest. 6,1 big built and 20 stone. So Prob takes a lot of caffeine to affect me, And the tollerence I have built up over the years
    yes mate Japfest a few years back, in 2008 i think, that and xbox

yeah its something to do with the taurine in them i think that affects the liver - maybe dr Bob will have more facts