Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how much caffeine is to much

Rides

how much caffeine is to much

So just a question. How much caffeine is to much?

My intake must be far to high. So far from 5 this morning I have had 4 quadruple espressos and 3 cans of monster energy drink. And a 500mil can of Rockstar

What are the effects of to much caffeine.

Rides
    If you want to know if you're consuming too much, stop drinking it for a few days. It's a real eye-opener . (EDIT : Just did a Google on this. Looks like it's not such a good idea to go 'cold turkey' )

I'd wait for a real doctor to come along, but I suspect it's a bit like alcohol in that there's no prescribed 'too much' limit as it's different for everybody. One thing I have come across is a lot of people saying not to drink coffee after 5pm if you fancy getting to sleep that night.

When we worked from home, I used to drink 4 large mugs of double (sometimes triple) strength filter coffee in the morning and another 2 or 3 during the afternoon. I decided to go 'cold turkey' for 2 weeks and I can say now, I'd never go back to drinking that much again .

EDIT : Having re-read your post, I'd probably say you're consuming too much.
    Last edited by Cluck; 30-01-2011 at 15:21.

Rides
    Thats also around 300g of sugar

Rides
    Wow, that is unhealthy.

Usually it will cause heart palpitations, anxiety etc.

I would look at reducing your intake if I were you.

Rides
    Lol...Jesus Christ man do you sleep at all or do you just wait???I have a low enough tolerance to caffiene hence the name tweek I used to be very bad with caffeine one cup or a energy drink and I would be buzzing for hours and babbling but now i have built up a bit of resistance to it I can manage about a cup a day without getting hyper active (but sometimes I do have problems sleeping at night) but I do get minor heart palpitations after it lol as for red bull forget about it...
    A fella I worked with used to drink about 6tins of redbull a day the man was a nervous wreck constantly sweating and shaking he used to half do a job and leave it and forget to finish it anything he used to do had to be redone to be honest he was like someone with special needs but he was good for entertainment but eventually he was let go

Rides
    That's the problem it doesn't seem to affect me. Have no problem sleeping, don't get the sweats or the shakes.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Yin View Post
    That's the problem it doesn't seem to affect me. Have no problem sleeping, don't get the sweats or the shakes.
    You sound the same as me

On nights i used to drink 4 478ml cans of red bull plus a LOAD of sweets etc

Never used to have problems sleeping or any odd feelings - Used to get a sugar low when i got back though

I stopped because I figured it just cant be good

Rides
    Why do you drink so much?

Are you tired or you just like the taste etc?

Rides
    No effect on me either, unlike my mate who goes like a meercat

Rides
    Big cans of Monster are awesome... usually have two on a friday night and play on the computer... two in quick succession is enought to give me a nice buzz, it's about equivelent to 4 cans of Redbull.

I would like an espresso machine but it seems no point unless I spend a fortune on grinders and stuff Your consumption does sound a bit high though... 4 quadrupple espressos and 3 cans of Monster and a can of Rockstar... ouch, must be over 1000mg of caffeine, depending on how strong the espresso is... are there flashing lights when you close your eyes?

Rides
    That's a terrible amount of caffeine to take in. I used to drink a lot but cut back. I actually find I have more go now I don't go Mad on that Crap like before.
    Last edited by TrIcK^; 30-01-2011 at 19:55. Reason: phone typos

Rides
    check this outDeath by caffeine

Rides
    Couple of coffees in the morning, then if you really need to drink have decaf the rest of the day.. the decent stuff doesn't taste too bad.

It's really not good for you drinking a lot, on top of all the sugar if you add that in over the day it amounts to quite a lot.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Rides
    Anxiety is a huge side effect from having too much caffeiene. Do you never get that feeling that you've forgotten something really important? Well i get that all the time when i have more than one can of Relentless in a day. Still we all have our addictions

Rides
    Your piss will smell funny

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Yin View Post

So far from 5 this morning I have had 4 quadruple espressos and 3 cans of monster energy drink. And a 500mil can of Rockstar
    Jesus Christ... How much

Thats bloody awful, are you trying to kill yourself.

I thought i was bad with 3 cups of normal coffee by 11am lol

Rides
    I really need to sort my coffee intake out

as a collective in our office tea club, the ongoing theme is to shout at a random office member until coffee is produced, as soon as said coffee hits the table, its customary to instantly pick another victim...

on days when I can't get out I seem to steadily consume 1 cup per 30 mins from 8am till 4pm with a hour offf at lunch.

recently I won a mug in the office raffle thats the size of a soup bowl with a handle on, since using it I have noticed a increase in heart rate etc and I sometimes start to feel sick around 2pm, so as of last week I downgraded back to the normal mug

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dow View Post
    ....are there flashing lights when you close your eyes?
    can I ask why you mentioned this?? I suffer from migraines - and the 'warning' of an impending attack is flashing lights (visible with eyes both open and closed). I had a series of tests when I was younger - and an intollorence to caffeine was the conclusion. I've never been convinced but cut out caffeine from my diet (for the last 15years).

Sorry for the hijack

Rides
    if you drink that much, and it doesn't affect you, you're having way too much and have developed a high tolerance for it. You can google for how bad caffiene is, and I suggest trying not to have any and see how that affects you - as I suspect you'll get withdrawl headaches.

Rides
    a few years back my doctor told me to cut my caffeine level down as was speeding my heart rate up. Now i have an expresso, every morning when i get up, and then maybe 3/4 coffees during the day. I have a tassimo indoors and love the expresso's it makes