Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stage 3a 14a's are they reliable?

Rides

stage 3a 14a's are they reliable?

As above i have read from stage 1a to 3a costs around 2k. Are they reliable at this power?

Thanks Danny

Rides
    I bloody hope so

Rides
    In a word yes, stage 3a you should expect 340-360bhp, providing its well maintained and the right parts have been used i see no reason why not. Ive heard sr's internals are good for just under 400bhp before you need it built with stronger internals...

Rides
    Done right - Yes
    Done wrong - No.

Ohh and as for stock gearboxes, well..... best we dont talk about those.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I bloody hope so
    Ha ha this was my first thought also

Plenty of people push 400bhp on stock or near stock engines
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    If well looked after then there's no reason it should be any less reliable, but obviously you have to expect that the heavier your right foot, the quicker everything is going to wear out.

Out of interest, what gearbox upgrades can be carried out and at what cost?

Rides
    will be a track and drift car so no easy life ahead

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    You will need spare gearboxes or do a conversion for an rb25 box
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

work2drift
    As said the gearbox is the problem.

Can upgrade to the Rb25 box or OS Giken both have mixed reviews.

OS Giken is big money tho like big money :O

Rides
    Mine was fine for 2 or 3 years at that power. It still is as far as I'm aware

Just don't be a cheapskate at that level of tune. Decent oil, regular servicing etc.

Rides
    i dunno i think its worse thinking something is going to break soon than things actually breaking. Its good fun, but gaskets have gone once in six months (jez did them) more my set up probably, I snapped my actuator at coombe, dont know how that happened. I swear ive got a boost leak but i could be paranoid its still quick, had a miss fire but different plugs seemed to have sorted that, Nothing too expensive thank god, touch wood. its pampered tho
    Was the car as good at stage 1? on the road more useable more of the time, on track 3a all the way . Worth the money??? Ill never get it back, but in pub willy waving contests your the man
    top tip: laminate your dyno graph so it does not get beer all over it
    Last edited by SXRORY; 28-01-2011 at 22:31.

Rides
    You won't NEED an uprated gearbox, it depends on the condition of the one in the car at the moment. They can be reliable tho, mine was until bad labour sent it awry.

Rides
    If its mapped well, yes.
    If the gearbox is treated with respect, they last a while. Mine's 120k miles and still going strong. Don't have to be light handed but just don't change harshly and put decent oil in.

Have a spare box on hand just in case though!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    You won't NEED an uprated gearbox, it depends on the condition of the one in the car at the moment. They can be reliable tho, mine was until bad labour sent it awry.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout View Post
    If its mapped well, yes.
    If the gearbox is treated with respect, they last a while. Mine's 120k miles and still going strong. Don't have to be light handed but just don't change harshly and put decent oil in.

Have a spare box on hand just in case though!
    The guy is a drifter so i'm guessing clutch kicking will be on the cards. A standard box wont last long with 350bhp/ft lbs when being treated like that Imo ofcourse.

Rides
    The cars done 55k so should be ripe for it and can carry a box with me to track drift days. Can someone post whats needed to do it "properly" and prices please.

Rides
    I'm on my 3rd engine now on this setup, I sometimes think it's how you drive them as to how it will last, I'm planning on having it remapped this time to see if it makes any difference to the generic stage 3a chip.

Rides
    Nistune!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    The guy is a drifter so i'm guessing clutch kicking will be on the cards. A standard box wont last long with 350bhp/ft lbs when being treated like that Imo ofcourse.
    Exactly this.

If you really don't want to be replacing boxes all the time with that sort of figure, you can get an adapter plate (I believe from Polo, but you'l have to ask him) to fit an RB25 gearbox from the R33 GTS-t, supposed to be alot stronger and you can still use the standard clutch and flywheel.

Rides
    Well i hope so too.. The plans for mine are to fit a MHG, 740cc Injectors, Tubular manifold, Larger elbow and whatever turbo can make around the 400/400 with the best spool/response... Will get a custom map to ensure its perfect as well.. Not a drifter or dragger and the box has only 68K on it so if that dies then will look at an alternative..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy_m View Post
    Out of interest, what gearbox upgrades can be carried out and at what cost?
    I recently had a 5 gear OS Giken set fitted cos my gearbox gave up the ghost at around 360+Bhp http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9.180058090830
    That cost me 3k!! So not cheap! Obviously if you can do that sort of thing yourself it would be alot cheaper. . . . . but I can't, I can only fit central heating!!

Nobody has mentioned uprated brakes? You'd want that really at 350+

Cheers,
    Dave.